RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The below two statements are from the diesel owners manual supplement.

"The manufacturer recommends engine oils that meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-11106, and that are approved to Fiat 9.55535-S1 or Fiat 9.55535-S3 and ACEA C3."

"Only use ACEAC3 SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Low Ash engine oil meeting Chrysler material standard MS-11106 or Pennzoil Ultra Euro L full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil, which is recommended for all operating temperatures."

The only other oil that I have found to meet these requirements other than the Pennzoil is Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Formula Motor Oil.
5W-30 Synthetic Oil | Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 5W-30

I stopped by my local Walmart, Auto Zone, and O'Reillys and none of them carried an oil with the above specs or the two outlined. Oil changes will be around $85 for just oil. Oil will have to be internet purchased.

Has anyone else researched oil availability and alternatives?

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
36 Posts
oil

In order to meet the DEF requirements the oil must have an ACA C3 rating listed on the container. If it does not have that rating the DEF cathalyzer system may not perform as designed. Not sure if this would be a "WARRANTY DENIED" issue. I might be wrong, but it looks like the Amsoil product does not carry the ACA C3 rating at this time, it seems to be straight ACA C only.

If you can find a TOTAL LUBRICANT of USA supplier, they've got the product you need in 1 litre bottles, 5 litre jugs and larger: copied from their web site:
Faced with the emissions challenge of meeting more stringent requirements, Quartz INEO MC3 has been engineered using TOTAL’s Low SAP Technology and is recommended for vehicles equipped with a Diesel Particulate Filter. Quartz INEO MC3 possesses outstanding technology leading to optimal engine protection and it is formulated to meet most carmakers’ requirements (for gasoline and diesel engines) and has garnered the approval of European manufacturers including Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Volkswagen and Audi.

Visit http://Total--TechSpecs.com/Tech[/url] Spec Library/Total Lubricants USA/Resource Library for current Material Safety Data Sheets and Product Data Sheets.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While I believe all of the oils mentioned are good oils. As Ecoram pointed out, do you think there could be a "warranty denied" situation because the owners statement has an "AND"...not an "OR" in the wording of oil selection? It seems pretty specific to me.

"The manufacturer recommends engine oils that meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-11106, and that are approved to Fiat 9.55535-S1 or Fiat 9.55535-S3 and ACEA C3."

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I am using AMSOIL 5W40 European Formula Full SAPS in the Jeep. When I get the Ram 1500, looks like I will be using the 5W30 Low SAPS.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After further exploring the required ACA C3 rating, I learned that rating is especially important for diesel engines with the DEF (or BlueTec) system. C1
, C1, C2 and C4 apparently don't cut it. I would not recommend using an oil that is not meeting that spec. No point in cheating out on oil for this hi-tech rather expensive engine. I rest my case!

·
Registered
575 Posts
After further exploring the required ACA C3 rating, I learned that rating is especially important for diesel engines with the DEF (or BlueTec) system. C1
, C1, C2 and C4 apparently don't cut it. I would not recommend using an oil that is not meeting that spec. No point in cheating out on oil for this hi-tech rather expensive engine. I rest my case!
Can someone start putting together a matrix of the available engine oils on the market that meet or exceed the ACA c3 rating?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can someone start putting together a matrix of the available engine oils on the market that meet or exceed the ACA c3 rating?
The only two I have been able to find are in my first post. A matrix would be nice at some point.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
We had this same issue with the Liberties. Meets some Chrysler unheard of spec. Well, research and with Keith from Green Diesel having a contact at VM, we found out that the 0W40 spec from Chrysler is to get the fuel economy that was needed. Other applications from the same moter spec out 15W40 diesel oil. When the time comes, I hope I can get the info needed from Keith

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Stopped at a Mobile 1 major display while at Daytona for Bike Week. Spoke with one of the reps there. He told me Mobile 1 is NOT C3 rated. After that he went on about how good the oil is and how it's the standard for quality lubrication and bla bla bla.

Did get a couple paper funnels out of the deal also.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Standard Mobil 1 may not be C3 rated however the Mobil 1 ESP noted in the first post is C3 rated. There are many different Mobil 1 versions. The rep needs to review his full product line-up.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Stopped at the local WalMart yesterday. Bought oil to change my Cummins, probably for the last time. Anyhow I looked at what I think was ALL the synthetic oils they had there. Distressing.

First is I bought regular 15-40 dino diesel oil for $10 a gallon. That's too much but "what it is". Most all synthetics cost TWO or THREE times MORE. That's not what I saw earlier but seemed to be today. Since I always went 10,000 miles between oil changes or more, hold 13 qts. , an oil change on the 3.0 is gonna be super expensive. Big BUMMER!

Next issue is I spent time taking down most all synthetic oils, diesel or not, I could find. Actually spent too much time. NONE had a C3 rating. Let me repeat that.

NONE had a C3 rating.

Now couple that with all this emission stuff, inability to purchase that DEF fluid at local pumps and this new diesel is showing some negatives.

1 - 20 of 363 Posts