RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using the “normal” oils like rotella , deli, mobile 1, etc. 5w40?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, the requirements are: FULL synthetic, 5W40 viscosity, and API SN rating.
And the recommendation is: FCA (Stellantis) material standard 12991.

There are a couple of oils on the shelf around here where I live that meet 2 or 3 of those things. There are zero that meet all 4.

I started off using Valvoline MST 5W40, but they rebranded that one as "European Vehicle" 5W40 shortly after I got my truck and the new labels don't have the FCA MS printed on them. So now I'm using Motul X-cess 5W40 which also does not have it on the label BUT it does have it clearly marked on their webpage so I can just print that out and keep it in the truck. In the future it will come down to either Pennzoil Euro 5W40 or the Motul for me....depending on which one Amazon has on sale. NONE of these oils are available locally at Walmart or the auto parts stores.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i know they do not meet the spec for the new engines, but they didnt meet the spec for the old ones when they first came out. My speculation is it is a bunch of BS. I will be looking to replace my wifes car in a bit and had thought about a new ecodiesel but if I cant stick off the walmart shelf oil in it i wont buy one.

I was hoping to see if there was anyone who was using something different.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
if I cant stick off the walmart shelf oil in it i wont buy one.
These are probably the most common off the shelf oils that meets the 2020+ EcoDiesel specs:

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
Quaker State Euro 5W-40
Valvoline European Vehicle 5W-40
FRAM Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes i know they do not meet the spec for the new engines, but they didnt meet the spec for the old ones when they first came out. My speculation is it is a bunch of BS. I will be looking to replace my wifes car in a bit and had thought about a new ecodiesel but if I cant stick off the walmart shelf oil in it i wont buy one.

I was hoping to see if there was anyone who was using something different.
To each his own. Amsoil delivers to my front door....can't get much easier than that. I bet you're not buying 3rd gen oil and fuel filters at Wally World either.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not looking for one that meets the spec.

isanyone running T-6 in them?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not believe there is a need to run the euro oils.... just like there wasn’t for the 14-19 models.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
isanyone running T-6 in them?
An EcoDiesel owner in a facebook group reported that their dealer was using T6 in one of the early 2020 trucks. The engine eventually failed at around 26,000 miles. The failure was blamed on the oil.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I’m not saying yes or no - if you change it often enough, and the use was proper, you might literally be able to get away with Olive Oil if that’s your preference - but the Euro 5w40 in question far exceeds CK spec diesel oils.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My biggest question is WHY.
Continually, I see people buying $50-75K trucks - and their looking for a cheaper, or more convenient options for oil. I’m not sure how much more convenient they expect than placing an order online, and it’s at your door 2 days later. Something I can do during a short break, and completely avoid a trip to the store!

It’s not like you can grab the filter just anywhere either. Mopar is currently the only option... so if you aren’t ordering online, you’re paying retail at a dealer, and there’s generally nothing convenient about that.

I get it if you mistakenly think these CK oils are better somehow, but that’s simply not the case. The oils that meet the requirements for 12991 have far more stringent requirements - I literally did an overlay on the Facebook page showing how superior they are!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think I sort of understand the OP's question now. He's aware of the specs, but is skeptical of them.

It's pretty well known that FCA/Stellantis and Shell aren't exactly best friends anymore. Oil manufacturer / Auto manufacturer relationships are pretty common. If you see an oil mentioned by name in the manual, it's a good bet there's a "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" deal going on.

To be honest, the main concern diesel owners have these days is the SAPS content in the oil. Ash is bad for emissions devices. A few months ago I looked up the SAPS numbers on some MS-12991 oils and compared them to non-spec'd oils such as Rotella T6 and a few API SN oils that weren't MS-12991 rated. What I found is that the SAPS levels were nearly identical between them all.

My thoughts are this: 98% of guys would be able to run Rotella T6 or Pennzoil or Valvoline or Castrol or Mobil 1 or whatever they wanted to run as long as it was a 5W40 or 0W40 oil and would have NO issues at all for the life of the engine. It is unlikely that those oils would perform any worse than a MS-12991 oil. However, as biodiesel pointed out above, IF you do have an engine failure the first thing they're going to want to see are oil records. And IF they see that you didn't use oil that meets spec then they may void coverage, whether the oil was responsible or not.

So can you use any oil you want? Sure. But there is a small level of risk involved.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont have a problem maintaining my vehicle. Mine will also not be a 50-75k truck. The base trim tradseman has more options than i wish they came with.

My point is there was 100% no reason why you couldn't or shouldn't use T6 in the 14-19 pickups although the dealer required special expensive oil for a few years. My guess is T6 and the similar are still more than adequate its just FCA up to the same bs again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do not believe there is a need to run the euro oils.... just like there wasn’t for the 14-19 models.
I dont have a problem maintaining my vehicle. Mine will also not be a 50-75k truck. The base trim tradseman has more options than i wish they came with.

My point is there was 100% no reason why you couldn't or shouldn't use T6 in the 14-19 pickups although the dealer required special expensive oil for a few years. My guess is T6 and the similar are still more than adequate its just FCA up to the same bs again.
I could personally care less what a guy uses. If you decide to run with T6 or any other out of spec oil, please post up some UOA's for everyone to see how they're working.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IF we buy a new ecodiesel I will.

I did the same with my 2015, its been running perfectly fine on T6 since before the change also.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I could personally care less what a guy uses. If you decide to run with T6 or any other out of spec oil, please post up some UOA's for everyone to see how they're working.
I agree 100%. Let the data speak for itself. I'm an Amsoil guy, but I keep using T6 in my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel because T6 has produced satisfactory results. Now, if I wanted to prolong my oil change intervals, then I would switch to Amsoil. For now, I'm sticking to a 6,000 mile oil change interval.

Reactions: Jinx

·
Registered
504 Posts
I agree 100%. Let the data speak for itself. I'm an Amsoil guy, but I keep using T6 in my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel because T6 has produced satisfactory results. Now, if I wanted to prolong my oil change intervals, then I would switch to Amsoil. For now, I'm sticking to a 6,000 mile oil change interval.
My take on this is ... the oils which are dual gasoline and diesel rated oils IMO tend to be medium duty oils not highly detergent oils or any sort of high heat industrial performance. T6 5W-40 IMO is spec. speaking to me medium duty oil but a good oil for this application. Especially in warm to hot climates I would really be interested in using 15W - 40.

·
Registered
45 Posts
These are probably the most common off the shelf oils that meets the 2020+ EcoDiesel specs:

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
Valvoline European Vehicle 5W-40
FRAM Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40
It seems highly unlikely that Fram now has oil refinery capability.
Who is the probable supplier of this oil if you know?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It seems highly unlikely that Fram now has oil refinery capability.
Who is the probable supplier of this oil if you know?
The last I checked, it was made by Conoco-Phillips. Conoco-Phillips also makes Motorcraft oil.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Kendall with another branding...
Yup, Kendall, Motorcraft, and Fram are made by Conoco-Phillips. I suppose Trop Artic is also made by Conoco-Phillips, but not 100% sure. Kendall and Fram even used the same style of bottle, too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts