RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
see how i did that? ok seriously i know what an intercooler is, however at this point doesn't appear to be anything out for the ED. those of you guys who had Cummins/Ford/Chevy diesels, did you go down the path of an intercooler, and if so, whose? also did you do the install yourself, did you think it was worth the money?

couple examples of what i'm refering to:

Banks Power | Intercoolers
Intercooler BladeRunner Intercooler; Dodge Diesel Trucks 03-07 L6-5.9L (td) 46-20011 - aFe Power

i imagine by the end of the year we'll see someone come out with one for the ED.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
An intercooler is a way to make the intake air more dense.

Dense air has more oxygen. Cooler/colder air is more dense than warm air so it has more oxygen for more energy. An intercooler is just something on the air intake that is supposed to cool ambient air to make it more dense for improved combustion.

·
Registered
274 Posts
see how i did that? ok seriously i know what an intercooler is, however at this point doesn't appear to be anything out for the ED. those of you guys who had Cummins/Ford/Chevy diesels, did you go down the path of an intercooler, and if so, whose? also did you do the install yourself, did you think it was worth the money?

couple examples of what i'm refering to:

Banks Power | Intercoolers
Intercooler BladeRunner*Intercooler; Dodge Diesel Trucks 03-07 L6-5.9L (td) 46-20011 - aFe Power

i imagine by the end of the year we'll see someone come out with one for the ED.
The ED already comes with a pretty large intercooler from the factory. Unless you are heavily modifying your ED (bigger turbo) the stock intercooler should be sufficient in lowering the charge air temps.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but but but i want more things to buy for a truck i don't have yet, and i want those things now! ;)

more of a discussion than an actual 'need' as probably 95% of this forum is really used for. so i just like to learn and ask questions, no way could i actually justify needing any of this, including a new truck :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
If Banks does the R&D and finds there's some significant gains to be had cost effectively with an intercooler that flows better and is more thermally efficient then sign me up for their product! They make quality products. I'm hoping for a Banks exhaust system for our trucks. They're currently developing one for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
banks was all the rage 10 years ago when diesels were first becoming popular, but they have since fallen by the wayside (somewhat) there is no doubt they make quality products however. An intercooler, or charge air cooler is located in front of your radiator, and cools the incoming turbocharger boost heading into the engine. Since any time you compress air, it rises in temperature, a intercooler is used to help cool that air back down and not only increases efficiency and horsepower, but also decrease exhaust gas temperatures, or EGT's. Turbo diesels have had them for years. There may be a need for this product however, as some where reporting high EGT's on these trucks. However a bigger intercooler is often not the solution, it usually relates back to the turbocharger not flowing an adequate amount of air. This can easily be fixed by running a larger turbo, or in the ecodiesel's case, a programming change, as initial data points to the turbo being waste gated to 17 psi. A waste gate is a device added to the turbo charger to help control drive pressure, or the pressure of the exhaust coming out of the engine. Ideally you want to see a 1:1 boost to drive pressure ratio, however many manufacturers are well under that, and that appears to be the case with the ED(unknown). High egt's in these trucks can be solved by a programming change to allow the turbo to build more boost. Hopefully this makes sense. There is a pretty steep learning curve associated with diesel engines, and a lot to learn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts