RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had my 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Ecodiesel for 2 days. (Needed a truck in a hurry, and bought this one). I drove 300 miles today on the freeway and then all of a sudden the ECT light comes on. Still able to do 80 MPH, still able to rev to 4,000 RPM but I did notice lack of power.
So, questions and looking for opionions.
I am past warranty so NP doing a delete (maybe) based on answers
#1 - is a delete and Edge tuner a recommended possible solution (I won't ever need a smog redone)
#2 - does the American Trucks pedal commander get rid of issue?
#3 - GDE is no longer, is SFKT any good (I see they are banned on this forum), or is there any other alternative recommended tune that will eliminate it?
#4 - I will probably get a Bosch OBD and do a reset/clear error code and see what happens (get the ACTUAL error code #)

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome to the forum. How many miles on the truck? Your first step should be figuring out exactly what the code is. Might be something super simple. You can try this process until you get a reader:
  • Cycle the Key from OFF to ON three times.
  • The last cycle the key should be in the ON position.
  • It will give the code in the odometer LCD window on the dashboard.
  • The code will show for only a moment and flash P-done before going back to normal.
As far as tunes, GDE is actually selling an EPA compliant tune right now. If you look around a little on the forum here, there are some very good reviews for it. I'll let others respond about SFK tunes as I don't know enough about them. The pedal commander will do nothing for the code, nor does it do anything for more HP/TQ, but it does increase throttle sensitivity and makes the truck a more responsive. I have one and give it a thumbs up. Report back what code you have and some of the guys that are way smarter than me on this forum can probably suggest a fix.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Once you sort out the code, might want to check out HD Diesel Supply in Canada. My understanding is that they offer the same tunes as GDE did, without the US EPA restriction. I have the original GDE Hot Tune on my 90,000 mile Ram with DEF and EGR delete. With no warrantee, you might want to do a complete delete, including the exhaust. I have 10,000 miles on my warrantee, so after that, I will talk to them.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You can try this process until you get a reader:
  • Cycle the Key from OFF to ON three times.
  • The last cycle the key should be in the ON position.
  • It will give the code in the odometer LCD window on the dashboard.
  • The code will show for only a moment and flash P-done before going back to normal.
This works on our trucks???
I recently discovered this on my new-to-me LJ. Didn't know it applied to our trucks!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truck ran fine until I got to Socal and rush hour. About 1 hour of slow speeds, then when rush hour was over and i sped back up (within 20 minutes) is when the code came on. I am new to having a truck with DEF and I did notice that the gauge barely moved on a 350 mile trip from full. How much DEF gets used in a tank of fuel?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
some P0299 code fixes around the site .
========================
in one situation , fixed by changing clogged Air filter .
post#27 here : Electronic Throttle Control problem for a second time
WILL IT LAST ?????
in one case = charge air hose leaking gave P0299 :
code P0299-00 check fuse at pdc f63 20 amp = pass erase code , drive truck =code came back ,
perform boost pressure actuator pass test ==> then perform air pressure test = found
charge hose leaking , replace hose , erase code , drive truck = all fine .

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Truck ran fine until I got to Socal and rush hour. About 1 hour of slow speeds, then when rush hour was over and i sped back up (within 20 minutes) is when the code came on. I am new to having a truck with DEF and I did notice that the gauge barely moved on a 350 mile trip from full. How much DEF gets used in a tank of fuel?
1 tank of DEF can last you 5000 to 10000 miles ( towing uses more DEF ) , and the needle only moves a little every few weeks ,
don't look at it , it is like watching grass grow ....

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The def tank is designed to last the oil change life, that being said it depends on drive cycle and usage. Def is injected based on the upstream nox emissions so it well vary from vehicle to vehicle. Now for a delete that might or might not fix the P0299 underboost code depending on whats causing it which can be a lot of different things. Get a good monitor and watch expected vs commanded on things like manifold pressure, vgt, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleaned MAP sensor and EGR valve. Put back together code still showed. Went to walmart, bought a $39 code reader, erased code and it has stayed off so far. Will see how many miles I get before (if) it comes back on! :)

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drove 550 miles, it came on again after about 250 miles, but I cleared the code and no problem for the next 300 again.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Did you check the air filter ?
a member had that code , turned out to be clogged air filter , just enough to throw a code .
another member had the wrong air filter installed , and got same code too .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you check the air filter ?
a member had that code , turned out to be clogged air filter , just enough to throw a code .
another member had the wrong air filter installed , and got same code too .
New K& N filter yes

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is the K&N a regular OE replacement or is it an oiled filter or cold air intake? That could make a big difference. OE-type filters are the best solution. Did the filter get replaced prior to the P0299?

·
Registered
142 Posts
This works on our trucks???
I recently discovered this on my new-to-me LJ. Didn't know it applied to our trucks!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Have you had a chance to try it. Full disclosure, I googled it because I thought I remembered it working with 4th gens. I have not tried it myself.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts