RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version is I attempted to change my own oil and opened the tranny drain not the engine. Some red lights
In my head put it together After about 400 yds it went into limp mode and I stopped and figured out my booboo...

i am now trying to remedy. Check engine light on. Got appropriate fluids w my motorcycle and got the fill cap out with an 8mm Allen hex and got about 3 quarts in w a pump gadget and I have no idea how many came out but my guess is 4.5 to five and I read up on my mistake.

Watched you tube and read up which is how I got here. No experience w tranny fluid replacement before this and this was my first oil change on this truck by me but I now get the drill in theory at least. I see I need an assistant at least to run the tranny through the gears. I doubt I got all the fluid out when I screwed up because I know i didn't drain as much as it holds and I've remedied the oil side of it by redoing the oil change...I feel so stupid but that doesn't get the problem solved. No error messages are stored and check engine light isn't flashing but it's still on. I don't know if it can be cleared or how to exactly determine that I've got the right amount of fluid in my tranny. I see it's a pain in the rear in general to top up. I have tranny temp gauges in the dash and I know the muffler will get hot. I did my initial 2.5 fill cold. It now moves but I've only moved it 30 feet since the initial cold 2.5 fill...till it began overflowing... It's sitting awaiting my next move. Presumably that will be a hot or hotter refill?

Should I have it towed to the dealer? Can I correct my el stupidity alone? Will limping it in hurt? Or is there an easier way to make it safe.

2014 3.0
Liter w 56,000 miles. After you're done laughing I could use advice. Had I picked the right drain plug it would've been as easy as I'd planned. I'm alone so I'd have to ask someone to come help and my neighbors are a ways away.

Advice please?

Paul

·
Registered
13,715 Posts
Welcome to the nightmare of a ZF transmission. I hate those things because of the trouble with filling and checking the fluid.

OK - you pulled a drain plug and dumped that tranny fluid. There is a fill plug ON THE SIDE OF THE TRANSMISSION right next to the DPF catalyst on the exhaust. Now be careful cold but take out that drain plug. You can fill there but when all the way up you will still be 2 1/2 quarts LOW on tranny fluid. Now comes the big trouble.

Without a lift you need a COLD transmission and a "lovely assistant". Get someone above you that can both walk and chew gum at the same time. They have to be able to keep the truck STOPPED with both the emergency brake and the foot brake while running the engine and shifting back and forth with that silly gear knob. They also have to have the EVIC page up on transmission temperatures and be ready to watch that. You, in the meantime, are UNDER the truck praying you don't get run over and TRYING NOT to lay your arm or hand against that exhaust for the DPF which which could go over 1,000 degrees but will probably be under 600 degrees at the end. I recommend a think coat with long sleeves in case you bump into it.

Have that assistant run the truck and go back and forth from Reverse to Drive and Neutral and back and forth just for maybe 30 seconds. That will allow the transmission to take the fill level from right at that drain and put fluid up into the transmission. Then you have to replace what went up. Somehow you must pump about 2 1/2 quarts of fluid into that plug before the temperature of the transmission gets up to about 120 degrees. Your assistant must watch that temperature and tell you to close up the plug if it gets that high. You better be busting your can to get fluid pumped in so it fills in that time, not get burned and not run over.

When done and the plug is back in NEVER open that drain plug cold. NEVER means that extra 2 1/2 quarts is OVER that plug level when cold and will pour out all over your face or whatever is you are dumb enough to open it cold to check the fluid level. You have to do the checks with that transmision warm but not hot.

There are written procedures on how to do the shifting. I did a thread on how to do it on this forum. search and read it. Good luck and be safe. Some disagree with me that it is so dangerous and tough. Fine. Get one of them to do it or take it to a shop with lift and experience. Me - I sold my Ecodiesel and got a Cummins with a regular transmission and dipstick you can both check and fill to a proper level. No deal with it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If it went into limp mode, more than likely there is a code saved. It will have to be cleared to get it out of limp mode. Do you have a OBD reader that will clear codes?

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4 bone stock
77 Posts
Welcome (y) , cant really offer any advice on the transmission but i hope you get it topped off OK;)

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,017 Posts
You should just take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
63 Posts
Soooo....did you fill the engine with double the amount of oil then? If wrong plug was removed, no oil drained out of engine, did you pour any in from top of the engine? Could codes be from engine oil overfill?

·
Registered
154 Posts
put same amount of trans fluid back in that you took out, than go to tube and watch video on changing oil in ecodiesel. its not very hard on our trucks. good luck

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Filling the transmission really wasn't as dramatic for me as CaptMal makes it seem.

You should swallow your pride and have a professional fix your mistake. That will be more peace of mind in the long run. Have it towed.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Make sure you didnt double fill the oil!

For the trans, fill it till it comes out the fill port(engine off) then start the truck and go back and pump more in till it starts to come out, get in truck shift it from park to N and D and R a few times, then put it back in P (engine still running) go check the fill hole if nothing coming out add till it does and replace the plug and test drive.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Make sure you didnt double fill the oil!

For the trans, fill it till it comes out the fill port(engine off) then start the truck and go back and pump more in till it starts to come out, get in truck shift it from park to N and D and R a few times, then put it back in P (engine still running) go check the fill hole if nothing coming out add till it does and replace the plug and test drive.
But make sure the fluid temp is between 80-120 F while doing the running fill.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
But make sure the fluid temp is between 80-120 F while doing the running fill.
I’m curious how important the temp is. I’ve changed 3 other vehicles the same way didn’t check the temp because they didn’t have trans temp in the dash and never had an issue.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I’m curious how important the temp is. I’ve changed 3 other vehicles the same way didn’t check the temp because they didn’t have trans temp in the dash and never had an issue.
Its critical on these because of the fluid management inside the transmission. Once the fluid temp goes past 120 F the level rises and starts pouring out the fill hole even if its low. Something with the fluid flow through the warmer im sure.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Advice please?
It happens, I was the manager at a dealers quick lube center for a couple of years; you wouldn't believe how many times this happens.
Beyond the transmission; did you double fill the engine? Have you verified that it isn't waaaaay overfull? Usually when the transmission gets dumped the engine is overfilled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts