RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today on car subreddit I had like 50 people tell me there is a ton of issues surrounding the eco diesel. I kept trying to explain this engine is so new it hasn’t had the chance to even shine or fail. They kept saying how horrible of a purchase I made. I’m pretty sure they are all talking about gen 1 and 2. I haven’t seen a lot of issues reported.

I’ve been really enjoying my 2020 Ram Rebel.

Is there a massive issue I’m missing?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The gen 1 engines never made it to market the gen 2 is what got used from 2014-2019. The 3rd gen is claimed to be 80% new and so far I have not heard of any major issues.

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Read around. The new ones seem to be very good.

Reactions: KRom

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
All those folks are talking about the old 14-19 engine that had Mostly emissions driven problems then worse a government de-tune and more problems. With aftermarket tunes most of them are / were outstanding. 371,000 on my first one until the emissions EGR cooler leak led to overheats and pushing a head gasket. My second engine has 313,000 going strong. Buddy James has 330,000 on his both trucks have aftermarket engine & trans tunes.

Fred your 2020 gen 3 motor is covered for 100k miles. No worries. And so far very little problems with them. Enjoy your truck. In fact stick around and let us know your mileage and towing experiences with it. (y)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Gen 2 was designed for a Cadillac, Gen 3 a RAM truck with substantial knowledge of the Gen 2 issues, hence the 80% redesign.

Reactions: KRom and Crash68

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
My 2017 is about to hit 90,000 miles. The only problems that I've had , water intrusion into wiring harness connectors under truck and a broken bolt in the exhaust . Any truck can have a problem. Had a bad motor in a Tacoma once... It only had a 36,000 mile warrantee. Enjoy your Ecodiesel! 1 suggestion, do your own oil and filter changes. Keep it out of the dealers shop as much as you can.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Lonestar 4x4.... I'm unhappy with the truck. No, I've not had any real issues or problems. My complaint is the FCA disinformation about the engine and performance. I bought the truck because of the fuel mileage and needing a truck.

Before AEM recalls, I was getting 24-28 mpg, with zero turbo lag. Over the last year and 2 ECM recall software updates. Now I'm barely getting 18mpg with 15+ minutes on cold start of turbo lag. The lag is dangerous if not paying closer attention.

In the back of my mind I'm always wondering. When will the EGR catch fire. Why can't I get back the fuel mileage and performance. If I wanted a 18mpg truck, I would have gotten a V8. Now, probably not a RAM.

I've owned many cars and trucks. I tend to keep them for a long time. My GMC Suburban, over 18 years and 300k miles. ZERO issues, ZERO back of my mind worries.

So, your truck is past that gen engine and such. I'm unhappy and disappointed with FCA for the lies.

Lastly, yes I could and should sell my truck and move on. I have nearly 3k in aftermarket upgrades... I'll never get half of that back.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Thinking about Vern's post plus adding mine puts 4 separate Gen 2 engines around 1.2 million miles. There is another member here with more miles than mine, don't recall name however he posted a picture around 227k last year.

Reactions: VernDiesel and KRom

·
Registered
2020 Limited ED 3.92 33gal
179 Posts
Zero issues with my gen2 140k, zero issues with my gen3.

car subreddit, sounds like a place where all the ppl need signs and wear shirts that say I’m with stupid.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Lonestar 4x4.... I'm unhappy with the truck. No, I've not had any real issues or problems. My complaint is the FCA disinformation about the engine and performance. I bought the truck because of the fuel mileage and needing a truck.

Before AEM recalls, I was getting 24-28 mpg, with zero turbo lag. Over the last year and 2 ECM recall software updates. Now I'm barely getting 18mpg with 15+ minutes on cold start of turbo lag. The lag is dangerous if not paying closer attention.

In the back of my mind I'm always wondering. When will the EGR catch fire. Why can't I get back the fuel mileage and performance. If I wanted a 18mpg truck, I would have gotten a V8. Now, probably not a RAM.

I've owned many cars and trucks. I tend to keep them for a long time. My GMC Suburban, over 18 years and 300k miles. ZERO issues, ZERO back of my mind worries.

So, your truck is past that gen engine and such. I'm unhappy and disappointed with FCA for the lies.

Lastly, yes I could and should sell my truck and move on. I have nearly 3k in aftermarket upgrades... I'll never get half of that back.

Good luck to you.
Is any of your $3000 invested in a tune? It should be.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman commercial duty, CC, ED, 6'4"
52 Posts
Love my 2017 ED. Only issue has been the cooler recall, which I have had completed. Great for medium duty towing and/or lots of highway driving. Its not for a "around town" duty though.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Good luck to you.
Have you thought about tuning it with GDE or Sofa King ?

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
You are talking to the wall. Been a week and the OP never came back.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Happy with my 2015 with 39,000 miles. Yes the class action lawsuit made FCA detune for emissions which was for the most part corrected with the latest tune. We also got $3100 from the lawsuit and an extended warrantee out of it.

So No complaints here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2016 Longhorn has over 240,000 miles now. It’s my livelihood and has been very dependable. It has a GDE engine and transmission tune. I would recommend you look into a tune, mine was worth the money. The biggest challenge I have had with my truck is pulling a trailer in the hills. They pull really really strong for a 3.0 but you have to watch your oil temps because it will heat up on you. It’s an easy remedy,’just slow down going up the hills, and it does fine. You will still make good time because you don’t have to stop as much for fuel.There are great resources on this forum, that know these trucks inside and out, hit them up with questions you have they will help you out. Enjoy your truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
Slow down going up hills?... Tell my wife that. That is the way to enjoy an Ecodiesel. I enjoyed. I’ve. Just did not enjoy the verbal abuse caused me by slowing down on tows up hills.

Saw that and started laughing. We are in Georgia at hunting camp riding around on my new “Mule” UTV. She was not happy I went so slow up rutted hills and in the mud. Picked it up and she sure bitched at the bouncy ride.

Makes me wonder if I should have worn ear plugs and just kept the Eco. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is any of your $3000 invested in a tune? It should be.
Yes, I have the Banks Power, Derringer with iDash. I don't mention the tuner often.

It has helped with performance and fuel mileage. I won't say it's a good or a perfect solution. I won't say it's enhanced features are worth the cost appx $900. I do know without it, my fuel mileage would be closer to 16 mpg.

The Banks folks have been great. They greatly support their products. Banks customer service and sales are 100% on track. Again, I'm decently satisfied with this tuner. Yet, it's not a real fix - it does nothing for the turbo lag.

I considered GDE tune, but don't want to deal with constant ECM swap and hassle.

I'll never go with SofK... I don't have actual use of this tune. After my research, I don't care for what he's selling

Thanks for asking.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Well sounds like pedal commander and the Banks Derringer will be the ticket for you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts