RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Springs
front have all the same rates, main difference is height in each version. Lights are 16.33" from there 1/2" more to mediums, 1/2" for the heavy ones
Rears have all the same height, 20.27" but they vary the rate, all longer than stock. Another plus.
So what they list for height will be a suprise for some. Spring rate are linear so it'll be a huge lift with the heavy ones in the back if you didn't have weight in your truck bed. the 3167's will the equivalent of something like 2" springs, but at 220lbs/inch they just a touch heavier than stock just like Eibach or Bisltein 1" springs. again OME make things thinking about load not cosmetics [https://www], super easy to visualize your height when you know your load vs your spring rates.

BDS 3" rear springs are 20.87" 240lbs/inch to put things in perspective.

OME specs
220 lbs/inch for the lights, 20.27" long
280 lbs/inch for the mediums, 20.27" long
340 lbs/inch for the heavy, 20.27" long

Strut and shocks.
Rear shocks are the same lenght, 27.5" extended, 16.65 compressed. These shocks are 2" longer than stock. Woo wooo [https://www]
Front struts are standard lenght, 21.22" extended, 15.43 compressed. If they're like with Toyotas these have a regular perch (not adjustable) so you lift with the springs. you'll correct your driver lean with the trim packers. Another bonus.

With the limited options available, especially for the diesel this is awesome. Handling the added weight on these trucks has always been a bit of a struggle with most gear being tuned for the hemi. Perfect example, my 6112s maxxed out sagged to 2" of lift, if I added a bumper and winch, i'd hardly gain any lift. Similar in the rear. I don't see this adding a lot of lift, which isn't ideal for some, but for me my truck is a pack mule during the week and I still like to adventure a bit on the weekends. Being able to put together a kit setup for my exact loads is huge .
FB_IMG_1611411559179.jpg
FB_IMG_1611411588644.jpg

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
View attachment 88633 View attachment 88634

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would really love an air locker for the rear.....

Please ARB.
Eaton developed a tru-trac for the rear so fingers crossed it's only a matter of time the boys down under develop something for it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is one beefy looking bumper but it looks out place on the Ram in the picture. There's something I don't like.....maybe the round rally lights??
Idk, but I agree. I like the bumper, but something about it looks "off".

I am kinda bummed it's such a "fat lip" bumper. Had higher expectations from arb, though i know they have some wild crash test criteria and stuff down there that may play a part.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May be the squareness of the two upper bar corners.
Possibly. Might just be because its an aggressive looking bumper on quite a mild looking truck. I like it, and I don't at the same time.

I'm way more excited to be trying this suspension this spring.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I'm a huge fan of ARB and like their products. I put their springs/shocks/bumper on my wife's Jeep Liberty. The ride quality was better than stock. And yes, they made the heavier springs for the diesel.

Reactions: hodgexj1996

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a huge fan of ARB and like their products. I put their springs/shocks/bumper on my wife's Jeep Liberty. The ride quality was better than stock.

I had them on my XJ before I got the itch to go taller. They build quality stuff for sure. I'm not sure if these are even released yet for the rams. I ordered the rear coils 2 weeks ago and my vendor is still trying to figure out why we've heard nothing back.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I had them on my XJ before I got the itch to go taller.
Yeah, I had them on my XJ, too. It was a hybrid lift using OME springs.

They build quality stuff for sure. I'm not sure if these are even released yet for the rams. I ordered the rear coils 2 weeks ago and my vendor is still trying to figure out why we've heard nothing back.
I do a lot of towing, so I'm keeping our 2015 and 2020 Ram EcoDiesels stock, but I would certainly recommend OME suspensions. Here's a picture of our XJ:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I had them on my XJ, too. It was a hybrid lift using OME springs.

I do a lot of towing, so I'm keeping our 2015 and 2020 Ram EcoDiesels stock, but I would certainly recommend OME suspensions. Here's a picture of our XJ:

I don't tow much but I run with alot of weight constantly. Usually about 500-600lbs and the stock rear coils didn't like that. I trimmed down to my minimum for work and find myself still wishing for more storage.

I've made it a few years compromising but now I'm over it and the amount of stuff piled in my cab so it's time to rehash things. Likely going with the decked system (220lbs) plus my work gear will put my at around 500-600 again. Old man emu mediums are the ticket for this, and will get my the 1.5" lift I'm hoping to maintain in the rear. I did a 2-2.5" front and 1.5" rear lift to keep decent take for truck duties while still being able to have fun.

I've had minimal communication with OME and it seems their front set up will likely only net 1.5"-1.75 lift under these trucks with their "heavy" setup which is just the longer coils. Bummer cuz I know this kit would gain alot of interest if it out guys around 2-2.5" lift.

I still have yet to find info to what weighs so much on our trucks, since they advertise the eco and hemi as almost the same weight. I gained just under 2" with my icon coilovers on the factory setting, and they're netting 2.5" under identical hemi trucks. Not a huge issue but it's a predicament to add a winch and bumper later.

Shameless xj plug. It's now at a 6.5" pieced together kit. Prior it was a DPG/OME hybrid 4". Things a little weapon being twin locked. Had it on 35s but dropped to 33s.
20201220_134959.jpg

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I don't tow much but I run with alot of weight constantly. Usually about 500-600lbs and the stock rear coils didn't like that. I trimmed down to my minimum for work and find myself still wishing for more storage.
I completely understand. I don't need the payload for tools, per se, but I need the payload for towing. If I'm towing a 7,000 lb trailer, I might have as much as $1,050 lbs of tongue weight. Ideally, I want to get an in-bed fuel tank, which will add another $400+ lbs of weight. I decided that I'm going to install Timber Grove air bags on my 2015. I ordered the factory air suspension for the 2020.

Shameless xj plug. It's now at a 6.5" pieced together kit. Prior it was a DPG/OME hybrid 4".
That's what my XJ lift was (DPG/OME hybrid 4" lift). (y) I built it to be a utilitarian vehicle. As you can see, it was my little work horse.

·
Super Moderator
3,482 Posts
I really like the Summit bumper. Just can't justify it for my needs. Lists at $2,200.

Biodiesel, I used the 9" wide 45 gallon in bed transfer tank from Northern Tool. With 6.4 bed it has to be at least 1/2" off the back of the bed in order for the bolt spring assembly to fit underneath and not be up against factory curved bracing. Same with drivers side bed if you are not centering the tank. It does mean I have to load stuff tailgate down more often and if towing at the same time use my 12" receiver extension for certain trailers. I put a pump on it instead of direct transfer that way when I come from where there is cheap fuel I can transfer what I don't need/use to my 275 gallon storage tank at the house. With the new administration shutting down the pipeline and "progressive" governments general war on free market and fossil fuels prices are going to go up for the foreseeable future.

Paid 2.02 recently in TN for road diesel and a few days later was in CA with 3.69 to 4.05 unless cutting it with lots of BIO. Also saw red farm use diesel in TX for 1.79. I believe you will really like the Timbergroves. Wish I had put the fill valve behind the gas cap. No bending down no trailer in your way. In this pic I have a generator & tool box in front of the tank but you get the idea. Going to put my headache rack back on the truck so it will get outfitted a little differently but this pic shows the tank. 09'-18' RAM 1500 — Timber Grove Enterprises, LLC

1613920625918.png

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really like the Summit bumper. Just can't justify it for my needs. Lists at $2,200.

Biodiesel, I used the 9" wide 45 gallon in bed transfer tank from Northern Tool. With 6.4 bed it has to be at least 1/2" off the back of the bed in order for the bolt spring assembly to fit underneath and not be up against factory curved bracing. Same with drivers side bed if you are not centering the tank. It does mean I have to load stuff tailgate down more often and if towing at the same time use my 12" receiver extension for certain trailers. I put a pump on it instead of direct transfer that way when I come from where there is cheap fuel I can transfer what I don't need/use to my 275 gallon storage tank at the house. With the new administration shutting down the pipeline and "progressive" governments general war on free market and fossil fuels prices are going to go up for the foreseeable future.

Paid 2.02 recently in TN for road diesel and a few days later was in CA with 3.69 to 4.05 unless cutting it with lots of BIO. Also saw red farm use diesel in TX for 1.79. I believe you will really like the Timbergroves. Wish I had put the fill valve behind the gas cap. No bending down no trailer in your way. In this pic I have a generator & tool box in front of the tank but you get the idea. Going to put my headache rack back on the truck so it will get outfitted a little differently but this pic shows the tank. 09'-18' RAM 1500 — Timber Grove Enterprises, LLC

View attachment 88879
It's hard to justify the cost of any of these aftermarket bumpers I've seen. VICE designs has one that I like, as well as coastal offroad, but the latter is a DIY/weld yourself kit. Our market doesn't have High demand so prices are insane. Add to that the bumpers seem to average about 150+ lbs and you run into suspension limitations up front without going to custom springs.

I have a 5-7 bed and with a bed box it's useless. I'll be adding the decked system, a headache rack and likely fabbing some side rails to drop into the stake pockets when I need to load up. I like the looks of a short bed, but functionality is lacking for sure. Even with all the compromises it's my favorite vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Super Moderator
3,482 Posts
I dig the decked systems. I always thought the 6.4 bed was just enough without bed box. For me its usually motorcycles and snowmobiles. And a little bit of anything everything, mulch, pallots of stuff, lawnmowers, furniture. My bed shows more wear than any other part of the truck. My BIL missed the factory bedliner box when I ordered this truck lol and I still haven't gotten it done. Thinking if she makes a million in two years I may get new black plastic and bed coated. She would still look pretty new.

Yeah I have a custom headache rack with bed rails that sets in the steak holes. Plan to take a lightbar etc off of it then put in back on the truck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dig the decked systems. I always thought the 6.4 bed was just enough without bed box. For me its usually motorcycles and snowmobiles. And a little bit of anything everything, mulch, pallots of stuff, lawnmowers, furniture. My bed shows more wear than any other part of the truck. My BIL missed the factory bedliner box when I ordered this truck lol and I still haven't gotten it done. Thinking if she makes a million in two years I may get new black plastic and bed coated. She would still look pretty new.

Yeah I have a custom headache rack with bed rails that sets in the steak holes. Plan to take a lightbar etc off of it then put in back on the truck.
I bought used so I was at the mercy of availability, plus at the time I thought I didn't need much bed. 3 years later, I need more bed lol. The decked system seems to be enough storage to suit my needs. I hope, since at a touch over 1k it's a steep buy in. I'm sure someone could build a better setup but I don't have the time to spend figuring it out. Most of my gear is work related and needs to be secured so for me it's a no brainer. The stake rack and headache rack would be more homeowner esque, mulch, dirt, lumber, kayaks, etc.

I really wanted a single cab 8ft bed, but trade in on these ECOs is miserable at best so instead of bitching about it I'll adapt it as best as I can. Aftermarket is coming around on them decently so I can make it happen easy enough. Plus, you're proof these things can go the distance and all my miles are highway, so I have zero doubts it'll hold it's own.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have a 5-7 bed and with a bed box it's useless. I'll be adding the decked system, a headache rack and likely fabbing some side rails to drop into the stake pockets when I need to load up. I like the looks of a short bed, but functionality is lacking for sure. Even with all the compromises it's my favorite vehicle I've ever owned.
I have the 6',4" bed on my 2015 and the smaller 5',7" on the 2020. Since I do mostly towing, I don't utilize the bed much. But I must confess, the 5',7" seems significantly smaller.

I just need enough room for a cooler, a few small tool boxes, and a 40 gallon fuel tank. I even moved the truck spare tire to the trailer(s) just to save some payload. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the 6',4" bed on my 2015 and the smaller 5',7" on the 2020. Since I do mostly towing, I don't utilize the bed much. But I must confess, the 5',7" seems significantly smaller.

I just need enough room for a cooler, a few small too boxes, and a 40 gallon fuel tank. I even moved the truck spare tire to the trailer(s) just to save some payload. ;)
I have a bed box that's on the smaller side and its left me with essentially a 3' bed. I keep My spare in the bed since my last tire change on the side of the 4 lane highway in the rain was a terrible ordeal. My bed is rendered useless. At least with the decked system and added top rails ill have some utility again and ill be able to run a bed rack setup for my kayaks and longer stuff full time. Pulling my box to put the rack on is always a huge pain since its super heavy.

Short bed is cool, till ya need a bed, than its a joke. Lol

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I keep My spare in the bed since my last tire change on the side of the 4 lane highway in the rain was a terrible ordeal.
I know exactly how you feel, plus it's a pain to remove the spare from the factory location with a trailer hooked up. I moved my spare mostly for convenience, but I used 'payload' as a secondary reason.

At least with the decked system and added top rails ill have some utility again and ill be able to run a bed rack setup for my kayaks and longer stuff full time. Pulling my box to put the rack on is always a huge pain since its super heavy.
The decked system really is the best use of space. It may not be the best application for everyone, but it sure is a nice system.

Short bed is cool, till ya need a bed, than its a joke. Lol
I would take a short bed over a long bed any day, though. But that's why I own several trailers. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know exactly how you feel, plus it's a pain to remove the spare from the factory location with a trailer hooked up. I moved my spare mostly for convenience, but I used 'payload' as a secondary reason.

The decked system really is the best use of space. It may not be the best application for everyone, but it sure is a nice system.

I would take a short bed over a long bed any day, though. But that's why I own several trailers. ;)
Another issue with spare tire, for the rust belt owners anyway is.....well....RUST. its insane how much gets trapped by the tire under the bed. Even with frequent washes. Add to that you get a flat at the most inconvenient times it's just easier. My rear bumper build is gonna have a swing for my tire to free up bed space moving forward. But that's down the road.

The decked system just really seems to be the only viable answer, I'm in the trades and need to be self contained and mobile for work. Add to that extracurricular adventures and space runs short quick. There's no real perfect answer, but drawers are close for sure. They eat up a majority of the payload but it's a compromise again, and I'm not hauling much so for me it makes sense.

I want a trailer, but I don't have a secure place to keep one at my current house. Garage, Trailer parking and some land are my only must haves For my next house, the wife can pick the rest lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts