RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Laramie w/ 68k miles, had the AEM done a year ago, and for the 3rd time, my truck has failed us on a long trip (of course only happens when traveling). Running 65mph through the Eisenhower tunnel on I70 west of Denver (if you don't know the area this stretch of road is intense under normal circumstances, much less having a truck shut down in the tunnel), felt a sudden jolt, engine shut down, dash lights and 0 RPM. I was able to coast to a stop, but not able to restart. After getting our 3 kids (all under 5) to safety, a wrecker was able to remove it before causing a major accident.

I keep a scanner in the center console, and scanned the codes before it was taken to the dealer. 12 codes in total, most associated with the sudden shut down (Fuel injector control performance, Invalid data received by BCM, Voltage etc) but the main issue seems to be to PO366 - Crankshaft position sensor. So it looks like another known Ram/Ecodiesel issue, based on the most recent recall to correct this poorly designed sensor, got me.

I called 3 dealers, the soonest anyone can even diagnose it is 2 weeks and then they commented that it will likely be much longer to repair based on parts. I was told that Ram will not even consider a loaner until they submit a diagnosis, and then they will likely only approve 1 day. It seems more owners are experiencing this failure, does anyone have any tips going through this repair, getting a loaner, or having Ram reimburse the $500 tow bill. Based on this most recent experience my wife if pretty admit this truck is getting traded, to this point I have disagreed but I am starting to think it worth the safety of my family to wait for the next failure.

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
Sorry to hear. There is a Chrysler care rep that comes on this forum. Perhaps someone has contact info link etc. He may be of help with tow reimbursement & a Ram loaner. Are you still on the AEM detune or did you invest some of that money in an aftermarket tune?

Lol I had a 79 trans am. Last of that body back in the day. What fun that car was.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear. There is a Chrysler care rep that comes on this forum. Perhaps someone has contact info link etc. He may be of help with tow reimbursement & a Ram loaner. Are you still on the AEM detune or did you invest some of that money in an aftermarket tune?

Lol I had a 79 trans am. Last of that body back in the day. What fun that car was.
Worst case I guess I have the '75 as a "loaner" not sure how it will do in the CO winter though. It was originally my car in High School (blue with white interior then). Once I got out of school and into the working world I tore it down for a head gasket, 8 years later I ended up with a fuel-injected 461 pro-touring version of what I started with...... project creep.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Sure understand the "traded" resolution.

Get something with a reliability reputation. Heck, that could just be a 2021 Ecodiesel or a Cummins.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Worst case I guess I have the '75 as a "loaner" not sure how it will do in the CO winter though. It was originally my car in High School (blue with white interior then). Once I got out of school and into the working world I tore it down for a head gasket, 8 years later I ended up with a fuel-injected 461 pro-touring version of what I started with...... project creep. View attachment 88540
View attachment 88541
Nice car. A shame to run it in winter salt but with those tires it looks like you would be stuck a lot in the winter if there is snow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice car. A shame to run it in winter salt but with those tires it looks like you would be stuck a lot in the winter if there is snow.
Thanks, it's not leaving the garage till spring, high up on the lift for winter hibernation. Hopefully, Ram does right and gets me into a loaner, its the least they could do for an under warranty failure that they are too cheap to fix on a large scale outside of a check the box software patch.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Thanks, it's not leaving the garage till spring, high up on the lift for winter hibernation. Hopefully, Ram does right and gets me into a loaner, its the least they could do for an under warranty failure that they are too cheap to fix on a large scale outside of a check the box software patch.
Good plan. I hope they come through for you. btw, I am very happy with my 2020 Longhorn Pentastar that replaced my 2014 Longhorn Ecodiesel. Between COVID and sales pitches for all kids to go to college I guess service is likely to be a problem for all cars for a considerable period so reliability seems to me to be becoming more valuable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know the Eisenhower tunnel well, and have travelled through it many times. I saw your post and it sent an immediate chill down my spine. Glad to hear everyone is safe and you got out okay.
Good luck and I hope things get resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I know the Eisenhower tunnel well, and have travelled through it many times. I saw your post and it sent an immediate chill down my spine. Glad to hear everyone is safe and you got out okay.
Good luck and I hope things get resolved to your satisfaction.
I was thinking the same thing. I would really dislike being stuck in that tunnel.

I hope everything works out. I'm feeling lucky to be at 125k and no issues to report. It seems some of these engines seem to get all the issues. Hopefully this your last. A 2020/21 might be a good option. So far they proven pretty solid compared to the 2014s when they were out about as long.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I totally sympathize with the intensity of driving the Eisenhower/ Johnson tunnel. Really scary to have a breakdown midway, especially with kids in the car.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
That sucks. Been through that tunnel many times in my '16. Last trip up there to Breckenridge and back I got 29mpg, my truck loves the mountains.

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
You never did say are you still on the gov AEM detune or have you invested in an aftermarket tune? I will usually go either I-80 or I-40 but I have towed TTs through there both directions. Lol at 11,200 feet elevation 20 hard fast correct push ups will hit you hard. I live at 700 feet elevation. Even if you are lean & in shape the thin air reality can be an awakening. :LOL:

Reactions: MR. TED and TwoBobs

·
Registered
609 Posts
2 weeks ago another member was driving along a deep ravine, na cliff and a mile later was on an interstate when his reluctor wheel failed, this is a serious life threatening emergency and FCA isn't going to step up. but but but ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
2016 Laramie w/ 68k miles, had the AEM done a year ago, and for the 3rd time, my truck has failed us on a long trip (of course only happens when traveling). Running 65mph through the Eisenhower tunnel on I70 west of Denver (if you don't know the area this stretch of road is intense under normal circumstances, much less having a truck shut down in the tunnel), felt a sudden jolt, engine shut down, dash lights and 0 RPM. I was able to coast to a stop, but not able to restart. After getting our 3 kids (all under 5) to safety, a wrecker was able to remove it before causing a major accident.

I keep a scanner in the center console, and scanned the codes before it was taken to the dealer. 12 codes in total, most associated with the sudden shut down (Fuel injector control performance, Invalid data received by BCM, Voltage etc) but the main issue seems to be to PO366 - Crankshaft position sensor. So it looks like another known Ram/Ecodiesel issue, based on the most recent recall to correct this poorly designed sensor, got me.

I called 3 dealers, the soonest anyone can even diagnose it is 2 weeks and then they commented that it will likely be much longer to repair based on parts. I was told that Ram will not even consider a loaner until they submit a diagnosis, and then they will likely only approve 1 day. It seems more owners are experiencing this failure, does anyone have any tips going through this repair, getting a loaner, or having Ram reimburse the $500 tow bill. Based on this most recent experience my wife if pretty admit this truck is getting traded, to this point I have disagreed but I am starting to think it worth the safety of my family to wait for the next failure.

I responded to another posting about the Reluctor Wheel (a few different names for the same part). See original posting here:

Reluctor wheel goes bad, then high pressure fuel pump...

My 2015 lost power because of the wheel. Long story short, I paid over $2k out of pocket in early March 2020 and was finally reimbursed in November after FCA issued a recall for the very part that failed. I'm not sure what the recall will change as compared to OEM parts, but even though the dealer fixed the truck (with the same OEM parts) I'm hoping FCA will do something once they have a definite fix to the truck losing ALL power.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They don’t use salt here in Colorado. I drive that tunnel every day - usually in the 99 Saturn station wagon to keep the miles off my truck. They use a mix of sand and magnesium chloride on the roads, it is a lot easier on the cars. Don’t see a lot of them with rust here.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Sad for this to happen. Scary in that tunnel.
My wife made me trade my 2020 RAM Eco Diesel with 1,200 miles. My crank sensor failed too. I lost $12,000 on trade. But glad I now have the Cummins. Worth the financial pain.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sad for this to happen. Scary in that tunnel.
My wife made me trade my 2020 RAM Eco Diesel with 1,200 miles. My crank sensor failed too. I lost $12,000 on trade. But glad I now have the Cummins. Worth the financial pain.
Your crank sensor failed with 1,200 Miles.. Sorry... I cant believe that :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well, it's confirmed; Tone Wheel failure. The dealer says Ram will not make parts available until mid-April (hopefully) and there is no other fix. So I have a paperweight sitting with no solid ETA on a repair. They are currently waiting on Ram to approve a rental, but it likely won't be a truck. I have called Ram cares and the Recall line to expedite this, but keep getting "no agent available".

@RamCares It would be great if you could act quickly and get me in a loaner truck so I can keep working, while I wait for the known safety recall with no fix that also makes these trucks inoperable to be completed. It would go a long way to show that you stand behind your $55k product and your customers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts