RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look, I don't know how you guys and gals are managing it, but I keep having fits of excitement. I come over all giddy and excited at the prospect that my new truck is to be built on May 6th!

I want to dance, I want to sing, I want to scream, jump and run. I mean, its the new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel...and I'm getting one...so friggin' cool!

OK, now that I've let my 13 year old self out to play, time for a proper intro.

Name is Duane. I'm addicted to diesel. We currently have a '14 VW Beetle TDI, which we absolutely love, and previously we owned a Golf TDI (heavily modified for huge power). My 2011 Toyota Tacoma will be leaving the stable to make room for the RAM. The Toyota has been fabulous, but with only 15k mile sunder the tires, she's barely broken in. Love the Tacoma, but it has a dark side...and thy name be FUEL ECONOMY!!!

About 2 months ago it occurred to me that the new crop of full sized pickups were all getting better fuel economy than my Tacoma - and I've got the fuel efficient version...LOL (reg. cab, 4wd, 4 cyl, 5 spd) Some rooting around the 'Web and looky looky...RAM just released the new 3.0 diesel...!

After test driving a Laramie hemi (to check ergonomics, mostly) and a Grand Cherokee (for the engine transmission exposure, despite the obvious differences), I knew I was making the right choice. Our truck will be used almost exclusively for the rough and tumble world today's trucks excel at - commuting... :D With some light offroading, hiking support and hauling of motorcycles thrown into the mix for good measure. There is a decent chance I selected the right boxes to manage the weight of my bikes (300#s and 600#s) with the diesel and air suspension, but we'll see (he says with a laugh).

Let's see, what else...?

The Truck: Laramie, 4wd, CrewCab, 5'7" box, buckets, almost every option, Prairie Pearl paint (monochrome). That be the beast about to take form in...5 days!

A last minute FUBAR by myself saw the Western RAM Rep step in to get a correction made after the plant accepted the order, so tip 'o the hat to the RAM family for helping me out of my own error. :) (I ordered the trailer tow group, not realizing this deletes the power folding mirrors. I need the power folding mirrors and rarely tow - so they kept my trailer brake option as a stand alone, swapped me back to power folding mirrors and I'm sleeping better these last few days...) ;)

Now I'm off to poke around the forum and learn whatever I can about people, places and things. :)

duane

·
Registered
279 Posts
had a 66 Beetle as first rig, often thought the new beetle in diesel would be cool. congrats on the truck, and buying a 2014 VW TDI, and now a Ram, you act pretty fast ! not always a bad thing...
congrats and welcome to the site, lot of experience here. many guys are diesel nuts just like you, and have driven half, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.... not a bad place to land if you are looking for info and some friendly bantor.
Marsman

·
Registered
279 Posts
on that 66 Beetle that was my first car, I remember asking the old guy if he would give a warranty... never forget it, he said "10 seconds or 10 rpms , whichever comes first".....

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You ran out of time, didn't you... ;)

...and yeah, its been an epic year for vehicles. Our Jetta's transmission lost an argument with a curb, so was written off. The cheque from that paid much of the Beetle off. :) With the truck, my current truck still has value, and is paid for, so we're chopping big chunks down there, too. Though I did have to promise to not flip any cars or motorcycles in the next 2 years or so...fair trade methinks. ;)

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Sure like your style. You communicate with flare and enthusiasm in a professional manner. Nice to see that.

Oh ... and you obvious like the idea of the Ram Ecodiesel. May that be correct on into the future. Welcome.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Happy dance with ya there Duane. Can't wait to try a tow with mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts