RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heard from dealer today and I have my VIN#. As already documented, the Ram "VOTS" website still is not working (as an aside, as an IT professional of 20+ years it is shocking to me to have a website not working because of an 'update'. Lame).

Anyway, my question is the dealer said today framing started on my truck. Can anyone give me some context/idea of where that means the truck is in the build process (just starting? middle?) and did anyone know when their truck went from framing to 'complete' (days? weeks?).

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I talked to my dealer two days ago and they said it was in paint. Yesterday I contacted Ram and they said the truck was through the assembly process with a delivery date of May 16. The dealer sent me an email today stating the truck was in final inspection. The truck went from paint to final inspection in two days.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I talked to my dealer two days ago and they said it was in paint. Yesterday I contacted Ram and they said the truck was through the assembly process with a delivery date of May 16. The dealer sent me an email today stating the truck was in final inspection. The truck went from paint to final inspection in two days.
That's about right on the timing.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Ok heard from dealer today and I have my VIN#. As already documented, the Ram "VOTS" website still is not working (as an aside, as an IT professional of 20+ years it is shocking to me to have a website not working because of an 'update'. Lame).

Anyway, my question is the dealer said today framing started on my truck. Can anyone give me some context/idea of where that means the truck is in the build process (just starting? middle?) and did anyone know when their truck went from framing to 'complete' (days? weeks?).

Thanks!
Takes about 48 - 56 hours to complete the actual building of the truck - maybe a bit sooner, depending on what time of day you hit the line, as I'm guessing they don't run production 24/7. If they do, however, it'll still only take a couple days to actually build.

The inspection process takes a bit longer and delays can happen is defects or bad parts are found.

Then you head out for "shipping" which involves warping the truck around the backside of Mars, a test run on the rings of Saturn, stops in Kansas, San Diego, Albany and Spokane...or so I understand. ;)

Shipping is where things can get hairy, it seems. Rarely it happens a truck gets misdirected. Sometimes rail equipment is delayed, which then means the truck sits in a yard for a bit. Your location in relation to the plant will have an effect, but rail shipping isn't always as straight a line as freeways.

I think that last "reasonable" number I wanted to believe on the "how long is shipping" side of things was 17 days. So once though inspections and released to the rail yard, the thinking was the current average was 17 days to the dealer. Now, this *seems* reasonable, but delays are often way beyond the control of Chrysler. Still, I'm banking on it taking closer to 8 weeks for my delivery...so I don't drive myself crazy! ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@sportsguy :)

today i did a chat with customer service and gave them my VIN#. The truck has completed build and started the Q/A process. I asked if there is any contact made (email would suffice) to me when the truck has been shipped, but alas they do not. So now its just a matter of the whole space/time/wormhole of shipping to my dealer. Getting closer and closer...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
@sportsguy :)

today i did a chat with customer service and gave them my VIN#. The truck has completed build and started the Q/A process. I asked if there is any contact made (email would suffice) to me when the truck has been shipped, but alas they do not. So now its just a matter of the whole space/time/wormhole of shipping to my dealer. Getting closer and closer...
As of today, I am JS (for QA). So waiting in storage (more of a location, than a state I understand) for Quality Assurance work. Base don a crap ton of reading this week, it appears my truck (and some others) may need a reflash to at least one system. No idea what system, but fresh code is welcome. :) As I understand it, the QA work itself usually takes about 30 minutes per vehicle, so moving from this stage largely depends on how many trucks before me need to get a reflash.

The one inkling I have that it'll be quick is that another inmate's truck was literally one or two ahead of me on the line, and he's already cleared this stage. Either the reflash was for something I have that he doesn't (8.4AM streo/nav system maybe) or things are indeed moving quickly. :D

This is all largely guesswork on my end, pieced together from reading, asking questions and some reading between the lines, but it makes me feel better... ;)

When I called CS earlier this week (Monday) to confirm my build date start was still Tuesday, they said "Call back in two weeks for an update"...LOL And after I literally laughed out loud at her, I explained the whole point of calling was to check frequently on updates to watch progress. Given it takes such a short time to built the truck, calling in two weeks would see me miss the entire process by...roughly two weeks... She was surprised and said she hadn't heard of other owners doing this...#facepalm Yet again it seems I'm alone and a leader of men...#hardly. She then suggested I "call back tomorrow". Then proceeded to look up my VON and give me the update on Monday. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
annnnnnndddd..... it's done! truck has been built, through Q/A and has been LOADED AND SHIPPED... and now the worst part of all is waiting because now I KNOW it has been done... expected to dealer 5/30. jeez my Amazon.com orders get here next day :)

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Funny you are not getting computer updates from their site. When I had mine built there were often updates, maybe not immediate but updates they were.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts