RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I love my truck and for the most part it has served me well. It is going on 5 years old and my extended warranty is on its last kms. I bought a 6/120kms but should have bought a 6/160.

I don't really want to own this truck without the warranty because I don't want a rig with payments and possibly additional surprises. To date:

EGR Cooler...Maxcare
Tone Ring..Maxcare
2 Air Compressor Units... 1 Stock warranty, 1 max care
1 Compressor distribution block..Maxcare
All 4 Air bags.. Maxcare

Maybe I would be upset with the above without the Maxcare but the dealer has been fantastic to date. Have a problem, they take it and fix it with no additional cost to me.

My truck is a 2016 Laramie with all options available less the CD player. Air suspension, Rambox, everything. It has 115K KMS on it. I paid $60k for it in 2016 with an MSRP of 72,900.

I have started working with the dealer on a replacement. So to basically go the same options more or less I am now at $89k and much less of a deal at $77k. They are offering me 29K for the truck on trade. They also are telling me if I order one, I may be waiting until past August to get one....

Basically I don't see a path to a deal here.

So do I just role the dice for another year and keep the truck?

Option B...

I test drive an F150 lariat poweboost. They finally brought the interior up to date. Really liked the truck. Created a build exactly as I want..$79k MSRP. They are offering me $34,700 for my trade. Still waiting for the actual deal but if they can knock 10K or so off, I will be taking the ford.

Again, i am a diesel guy but to be honest the 3.5PB is quick, and comes relatively close to the MPG. It has a great interior and cool things like the 7.2k generator, which would be useful to me. I originally looked at the diesel but it is a $7k option. It is just not worth it. For my needs, it works.

I would love to stay in the ram family but there just is no deal and no delivery. Same truck, same options, the deal price is higher than the MSRP of my 2016.

Please Don bother with posting "ford is crap" and other stuff like it. I have friends with F150's and they have had problems too just like I read on this forum. Again, if I buy the F150, I will buy a 6/160 warranty to just drive and maintain it.

Maybe the ram dealer will come through but from my perspective he is not working hard to make a deal because he knows he can't get me one in a reasonable time.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outdoorsman
12 Posts
If you want to save a barrowful of money, don't buy new. It's nice to have a shiny new truck with all the bells and whistles, but you can save tens of thousands of dollars buying a used vehicle. Buy a lease return. Buy a rental renewal. The dealerships will generally have both on their lot, and you may not get to pick all the features you want, but you won't have to wait until August, and you won't have to pay as much.

Disappointing to read about all the difficulties you've had along the way with your current truck. I just got into a 2018 Outdoorsman, and I was a little sad to know the original warranty will be up in a few months. I already miss those Japanese manufacturers with their 10y/160000km warranties...

·
Registered
743 Posts
They are all having supplies issues, the Fords with the 3.5PB are moving off lots FAST, don't be surprised if you go back to the dealer and the truck you were eyeing isn't even there anymore.

From what I read, parking lots full of new F150s waiting for chips to complete their builds.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi: MacRam... IMHO I wouldn't buy when the "Chips are down". "Love the one you're with"!!! Being on the fence isn't very comfortable. At least it's dry... in the doghouse.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Super Moderator
859 Posts
For MacRAM, Again, i am a diesel guy but to be honest the 3.5PB is quick, and comes relatively close to the MPG. It has a great interior and cool things like the 7.2k generator, which would be useful to me. I originally looked at the diesel but it is a $7k option. It is just not worth it.

My son had an Ecoboost, when they're empty, wind at your back and going downhill, the mileage is good but not even with the EcoD. As soon as you pull a bit of weight or fill the box, you can't stay away from gas stations. On a trip with him I swear I could see the gas gauge drop.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I agree with @Dieseldragon, keep your EcoD. And as @justind said, you're likely to end up waiting just as long for your special ordered F150 as you are for a new 1500 due to the chip shortage. Since you said "roll the dice for another year" I assume you'll be looking to upgrade in a year regardless, and by then production will have caught up and dealers will be more willing to cut deals. Expect your trade-in value to drop as well, but it seems like you've taken good care of your truck so it should give you top dollar on trade in regardless.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,240 Posts
Nice trade in prices!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I just contacted a dealer about a new truck on their lot. They want $5,000 over MSRP on it. "
There is an addendum of $5,000 on this truck as Inventories are so low and the Truck market is going nuts at this time. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. Thank you very much.

"

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,240 Posts
I just contacted a dealer about a new truck on their lot. They want $5,000 over MSRP on it. "
There is an addendum of $5,000 on this truck as Inventories are so low and the Truck market is going nuts at this time. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. Thank you very much.

"
I didn't get any deal on the new 2500, but I think in the long run, it will be fine and I'm glad to get one. Those Tradesman are few.

·
Registered
346 Posts
MacRam, I can agree with everything you posted except for "the 3.5PB is quick, and comes relatively close to the MPG ". All of my friends who own the 3.5PB are blown away with the MPG I get.

And for the ones who say to buy used to say $$; I purchased new because it was cheaper (at the time) than buying used. But, I did purchased an optioned Tradesman.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are all having supplies issues, the Fords with the 3.5PB are moving off lots FAST, don't be surprised if you go back to the dealer and the truck you were eyeing isn't even there anymore.

From what I read, parking lots full of new F150s waiting for chips to complete their builds.
They actually don't have what I want so I would be placing an order.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you want to save a barrowful of money, don't buy new. It's nice to have a shiny new truck with all the bells and whistles, but you can save tens of thousands of dollars buying a used vehicle. Buy a lease return. Buy a rental renewal. The dealerships will generally have both on their lot, and you may not get to pick all the features you want, but you won't have to wait until August, and you won't have to pay as much.

Disappointing to read about all the difficulties you've had along the way with your current truck. I just got into a 2018 Outdoorsman, and I was a little sad to know the original warranty will be up in a few months. I already miss those Japanese manufacturers with their 10y/160000km warranties...
I hear you but finding a 2021 used with the options I would want is not going to happen.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi: MacRam... IMHO I wouldn't buy when the "Chips are down". "Love the one you're with"!!! Being on the fence isn't very comfortable. At least it's dry... in the doghouse.
The chips are not down. As mentioned I love the truck. I just don't want payments and the risk of unforseen costs.

It I had no payments, I would roll the dice. I owe 20K on it and the ford dealer is willing to give me 34K for it on trade.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If necessary you can do a LOT of repairs for the price of a new truck.
But doing repairs on a truck that I still have payments on vs. The same payment but no additional risk...

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If necessary you can do a LOT of repairs for the price of a new truck.
The warranty expired on our 2015 a year ago. That's when I started saving $250 per month. I now have exactly $3,000 in my 'truck account'. It's a risk, but so far, my 2015 hasn't thrown a code since I had the AEM installed two years ago.

I find it interesting when people say they don't want to pay for big repairs outside of warranty, but they have no problem buying a new truck and paying $3,000+ dollars up front just in taxes!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MacRam, I can agree with everything you posted except for "the 3.5PB is quick, and comes relatively close to the MPG ". All of my friends who own the 3.5PB are blown away with the MPG I get.

And for the ones who say to buy used to say $$; I purchased new because it was cheaper (at the time) than buying used. But, I did purchased an optioned Tradesman.
Funny you say that because when I bought my ED there were used ones but they were about the same as new due to the incentives and 0% financing.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The warranty expired on our 2015 a year ago. That's when I started saving $250 per month. I now have exactly $3,000 in my 'truck account'. It's a risk, but so far, my 2015 hasn't thrown a code since I had the AEM installed two years ago.

I find it interesting when people say they don't want to pay for big repairs outside of warranty, but they have no problem buying a new truck and paying $3,000+ dollars up front just in taxes!
I totally hear you. I just don't expect these days to not have a car payment because I like new vehicles. So for me, it is about negotiating the best deal, staying within a reasonable term. My truck is an example of that. I owe 20K on it and the dealer is offering 34k on a trade. So do it take that equity now as a tool to keep the payments low on a more expensive truck? I also save the taxes on the trade diff. It is complicated and each decision has pros and cons. For me, I like having a vehicle that has a known cost per month. I am basically doing the same thing you are but just in reverse. You get the benefit though if things don't happen, you get the money you put away.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

Hi:biodiesel... Goober mints love the "Auto trade". Every time a vehicle gets sold there are taxes... Every time it gets a fill up there are taxes. Every time there are repairs... there are taxes. What's not to like when you're overtaxed!!! "Two things in life are sure... Death and Taxes".

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'll stick with what I said before regarding keeping your truck for another year. But given some of your follow-up comments, have you looked at leasing instead of buying a new truck? If you like getting a new vehicle every couple years and already accept that you will have a payment of some kind in perpetuity, then maybe a lease would suit you better and save you some cash in the long run.

Reactions: Blanka Kamiono
1 - 20 of 31 Posts