RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
The warranty expired on our 2015 a year ago. That's when I started saving $250 per month. I now have exactly $3,000 in my 'truck account'. It's a risk, but so far, my 2015 hasn't thrown a code since I had the AEM installed two years ago.

I find it interesting when people say they don't want to pay for big repairs outside of warranty, but they have no problem buying a new truck and paying $3,000+ dollars up front just in taxes!
I do the same thing. 9 year old duramax with 26xxx on it and a 10 year warranty. 2015 jeep eco bought in 2016 new turns 5 this year and have maxcare. Since both were paid off in year 3 since my wife pays most of the ther other bills, I have 75k ready to go for a new vehicle today. Next new vehicle will be first time paying cash. I cover all vehicle related bills and maint.... tags, tires, maint, warranties etc.... also no kids...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll stick with what I said before regarding keeping your truck for another year. But given some of your follow-up comments, have you looked at leasing instead of buying a new truck? If you like getting a new vehicle every couple years and already accept that you will have a payment of some kind in perpetuity, then maybe a lease would suit you better and save you some cash in the long run.
I agree leasing is best if you always want a new vehicle all the time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I totally hear you. I just don't expect these days to not have a car payment because I like new vehicles. So for me, it is about negotiating the best deal, staying within a reasonable term.
I completely understand. If you look at my signature, I also bought a 2020 Ram EcoDiesel. I like to keep at least one newer (and more reliable) truck on hand. If one truck goes down, I have a backup.

For me, I like having a vehicle that has a known cost per month. I am basically doing the same thing you are but just in reverse. You get the benefit though if things don't happen, you get the money you put away.
I love budgets and follow them closely. But you're right, I'm taking the risk to save money by keeping my vehicles long term (15+ years). Obviously, there's no right or wrong method. Everyone needs to do what is best for them.

Reactions: Kneebull

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I do the same thing. 9 year old duramax with 26xxx on it and a 10 year warranty. 2015 jeep eco bought in 2016 new turns 5 this year and have maxcare. Since both were paid off in year 3 since my wife pays most of the ther other bills, I have 75k ready to go for a new vehicle today. Next new vehicle will be first time paying cash. I cover all vehicle related bills and maint.... tags, tires, maint, warranties etc.... also no kids...
That's great! Once I pay off a few more debts, I plan to increase my $250 monthly vehicle contribution to $500. Instead of saving $3,000 per year, I'll be saving $6,000 per year. Since interest rates are so slow, I don't mind paying interest on my vehicles, assuming I can make money in investments elsewhere. As of now, my auto and home loans are 2.6% interest. That's what some call 'free money'.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
For MacRAM, Again, i am a diesel guy but to be honest the 3.5PB is quick, and comes relatively close to the MPG. It has a great interior and cool things like the 7.2k generator, which would be useful to me. I originally looked at the diesel but it is a $7k option. It is just not worth it.

My son had an Ecoboost, when they're empty, wind at your back and going downhill, the mileage is good but not even with the EcoD. As soon as you pull a bit of weight or fill the box, you can't stay away from gas stations. On a trip with him I swear I could see the gas gauge drop.
I agree and disagree.

The ecoboost will never match the economy of the ecodiesel or its competitors but it does ok with less maintenance and less expensive fuel.

The Ecoboost had 10X more get up and go, if you tow with it like a sane person, the fuel mileage is not that bad. If you only use the power it takes to keep up with an ecodiesel in tow its not bad. If you enjoy the push back in your seat its got what it takes to do it but that is when you will watch the fuel gage move.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’m constantly researching my next truck. I’m on the forums for the 3rd gens, the duramax 3.0 as well as the powerboost F150’s. I’m seeing quite a few annoying issues with the powerboost as they look to work out the bugs. Same story, to a lesser degree, with the 3.0 LM2 as well as the new 3.0 eco. In real world driving fuel economy, the powerboost will only be beneficial if you do a lot of stop and go city driving. On the highway it’s largely a regular eco boost. Having owned one, they’re essentially the same on fuel as a hemi or any other NA v8. If you want to run larger tires (I put 35’s on everything) you can’t beat a diesel for maintaining at least some efficiency.
I struggle with the same dilemma: sticking with diesel and dealing with emissions headaches or going back to gas and living with mediocre fuel economy and a need for premium fuel if you want to tune for a bit more power. I really like the onboard generator on the powerboost but I think the power train needs another year to figure out the issues. I’m also waiting on the next gen tundra which will likely be a v6 TT, possibly hybrid. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Same story, to a lesser degree, with the 3.0 LM2 as well as the new 3.0 eco.
The new 3.0L EcoDiesel (2020+ trucks) is a completely different engine than the 2014 - 2019 3.0L EcoDiesel. The 2020 trucks have proven to be highly reliable and don't have near the emissions problems as it's predecessor. I love my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel and plan to keep it for the long haul, but there's no doubt in my mind that the 2020+ EcoDiesel is going to be a great long lasting engine. Time will tell, but I would take the EcoDiesel over the Hemi any day. I would also take the Ram over the GM and Ford 3.0L diesel.

Reactions: Kneebull

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any new motor will have issues and I also hope most were sorted on the new ecodiesel. The egr, although redesigned, will need to be shut off to prevent issues still. The general consensus is that it takes a couple years to work out the bugs. The LM2 issue I am hearing regularly is a rear main seal leak. I prefer the l6 design of the chev but I like that we can tune the 3rd gen eco...and I just prefer the look of the Ram.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I like the look of the GMC but can't stand the dated dash.

I love the new ED but to be honest, when I bought my ED I was traveling a lot. I can't see that being the case for quite some time so the equation is just not there.

I looked at the ford diesel but at $7k it does not make sense.

Right now I am contemplating just leasing the F150 for 48 months. Before my RAM, I leased everything but FCA stepped away from leasing basically and I wanted the ED so I bought it.

For my mission, the F150 PB looks like my next ride if they can make a deal. If not, I will run my ED until something else materializes.

Again, love my truck and will miss the air ride and other aspects, but they get traded for new aspects my ED can't deliver.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outdoorsman
12 Posts
...I just don't expect these days to not have a car payment...
I remember having a conversation over coffee with a co-worker and he was lamenting his realisation that after having vehicle payments for nearly 25 years, he was going to pay off a VW Golf. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, it is a done deal. I ordered a White Ford F150 PowerBoost. I will not see it for 8 weeks or so but they have locked in my trade. Ended up with a 48M lease 25K per year will full warranty for the term. For me, this just made sense. I know I will not get the same fuel economy. I will miss the Air Ride and Ramboxes. I will miss the diesel rattle.

I won't miss the uncertainty.

Again, my needs are my needs.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts