RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well add me to the list of Ecodiesel owners to suffer an engine failure.

Half way into a hunting trip to Montana, pulled out to pass a slow camper, engine shuts off with "no Oil Pressure" message flashing.
Coasted to a stop, and the message changed to "put in park to restart"
Engine restarted, and seemed to run fine.
Continued on to the next town that had a Ram dealer and had them look at it.

Metal parts in oil pan and filter. No knocking, no clanking.

Truck is back to my home dealer, and they ordered a new engine today with what appears to be none in stock in the US. Let the wait begin.

71,000 miles, stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh man, that’s crazy!! Were you towing when your engine blew? If so, how heavy was your travel trailer or trailer? Also, is FCA covering the replacement of your engine and the labor? Also, are they providing a loaner?

Just curious so I know what to look forward to when mine go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sorry to hear that Lucky Dog. It probably froze and then spun a bearing (or 2). We had that happen on 5020 JD tractor once. Brother said it started to lose power, he looked down and the oil pressure was zero. Pushed the clutch in and it came back to life but then would only develop 10 psi of pressure. Pulled the pan and found metal in the oil so we pulled the main bearing caps and there they were ... torn up main bearings.

·
Super Moderator
2,603 Posts
Sorry to hear of another one but at least it's under warranty. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,140 Posts
No replacement engines in stock? Nationwide? Wow....

Reactions: Roadrunner

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Losing a hunting trip would really tick me off. You have a positive attitude under awful conditions.

Hope it all works out but looks like the hunting is a wash. Major bummer to me.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Sorry to hear this Lucky. This really sucks.

Hard to believe that there are none in stock. I call BS on the dealer...

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Lucky Dog-(reminds me of the 3 legged dog named Lucky)

About how far did you drive it to find a dealer? DId it seem to run normal? Did you drive it slowly? Did you drive it home from the dealer or have it shipped? This is a very different scenario than we have heard of before. All I recall have pretty much simultaneously lost oil pressure/knocked/seized more or less simultaneously when driving at highway speed. I do recall a couple describing some period of knocking but as I recall it they were driving at town speeds.

It is hard for me to imagine what caused it to lose oil pressure but then regain it when the engine was restarted.

All the best,

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lucky Dog-(reminds me of the 3 legged dog named Lucky)

About how far did you drive it to find a dealer? DId it seem to run normal? Did you drive it slowly? Did you drive it home from the dealer or have it shipped? This is a very different scenario than we have heard of before. All I recall have pretty much simultaneously lost oil pressure/knocked/seized more or less simultaneously when driving at highway speed. I do recall a couple describing some period of knocking but as I recall it they were driving at town speeds.

It is hard for me to imagine what caused it to lose oil pressure but then regain it when the engine was restarted.

All the best,
Yes, it was very odd. After the pressure loss message, the truck seemed to run fine. I was about 40 miles from the next town and continued on. Almost kept driving since nothing seemed wrong but decided to stop and have it checked out.
At first the mechanic couldn't find anything, no codes, he test drove it and it ran fine. I asked him to do an oil change and check the oil with a strainer. That is when the metal shavings and chunks showed up.

We talked quit a while about what my options were, leaving it 500+ miles from home made no sense to any one, plus they had a 3-4 week backlog right off the bat.
A flat bed ride was going to cost between $2.50 and $3.00 per mile. He said he could probably get me a uhaul truck and trailer for much less.
I finally asked him what he would do and he said he would put fresh oil in it and head for home. The closer I got, the cheaper the tow bill would be.
So that is what I did, drove it the 525 miles real slow and easy. I think it took me 13 hours. It never missed a beat.

When my local mechanic opened it up again, it was full of metal once again.

I believe that had I not had the no pressure hicup, I would have never known there was an issue until the bottom came lose, or I did an oil change, whichever came first.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well, I know what your problem is..... It is your handle. You can only go so long with a name like "Lucky Dog" until the crap hits the fan. LOL.

In all seriousness, that would totally blow and yet you seem to be taking it well. I always figured that it never payed to "blow a gasket" at folks because it will probably make your life harder, rather than easier. I like what that mechanic told you to do. The damage was already done so get her closer to home.
As much as I love my truck, this sort of stuff does concern me a little.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Yes, it was very odd. After the pressure loss message, the truck seemed to run fine. I was about 40 miles from the next town and continued on. Almost kept driving since nothing seemed wrong but decided to stop and have it checked out.
At first the mechanic couldn't find anything, no codes, he test drove it and it ran fine. I asked him to do an oil change and check the oil with a strainer. That is when the metal shavings and chunks showed up.

We talked quit a while about what my options were, leaving it 500+ miles from home made no sense to any one, plus they had a 3-4 week backlog right off the bat.
A flat bed ride was going to cost between $2.50 and $3.00 per mile. He said he could probably get me a uhaul truck and trailer for much less.
I finally asked him what he would do and he said he would put fresh oil in it and head for home. The closer I got, the cheaper the tow bill would be.
So that is what I did, drove it the 525 miles real slow and easy. I think it took me 13 hours. It never missed a beat.

When my local mechanic opened it up again, it was full of metal once again.

I believe that had I not had the no pressure hicup, I would have never known there was an issue until the bottom came lose, or I did an oil change, whichever came first.
Wow, that is really interesting. It is really hard for me to imagine you have the traditional failure that the other engines have had. I cannot imagine that a lower end putting shavings into the base could last that long and not knock or make strange noises. I wonder if you could have a piston with broken rings or something like that that could be making shavings from the block and ending up in the base. COuld there have been enough shavings to plug up the oil screen and cause the pump to starve for oil? Who knows. You were sure a Lucky Dog to get it home with essentially no cost but a bit of time. I hope they find you a new engine quickly. If they pull the pan on the engine at the dealer it would be really interesting to hear what they see.

Perhaps others will chime in on potential failure scenarios.

All the best,

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Sorry to here this, did the dealer give you any time frame when they might see an engine? They should be able to give you some idea.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts