RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Details - 2015 Ecodiesel with 110,000 miles started hard and wouldn’t idle. Towed in dealer said metal shavings in hp pump outlet - pump had disintegrated and contaminated entire fuel system - lines, tank, injectors, pumps all needed replaced. $13,000. I should have tested fuel and filed claim with insurance or against fuel station if bad fuel detected and proven. Was out of warranty so just traded in on new 2018. Six weeks and 4600 miles later fueled up at high volume station at separate diesel island - 2 hours later truck abruptly died accelerating onto freeway. Towed to dealer who claimed tested fuel had “separated” and said tank needed drained - non warranty $600. Ok I said I needed truck next day for trip. Said smelled like gas. (Wth -does gas separate ?)

Well after flushing it was discovered hp fuel pump had seized and then that cam lobe bolt had failed and then rocker arms broke and then other side rocker arms broke. Finally after 30 days I may be getting it back tuesday. I’m out $5,000 and my Insurance is paying another $4,000 for consequential damage to my engine. So $13,000 for first ecodiesel hp pump related repairs and $9,000 on second ecodiesel hp pump related repairs. Maybe with aftermarket added water separator and additives they can live but otherwise non-warranty Time Bomb!
Another thought on this. The 4th gen HP pumps are more sensitive than older pumps. It could be a case that the fuel delivery driver hooked up the wrong hose, realized it, and then topped off with diesel. He/she might have thought "eh, it was only 10-20 gallons. That's not enough to be a problem." They would be right ... in the 80s and 90s. If it is a small contamination there could be trucks dying very slow deaths over the next several months.

So. Call your state's department of whatever and sue that station to last year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you guys for the suggestions - will be following up on these ! If I am forced to keep this rig I will want to look at an aftermarket water separator and fuel additives and never take in for repair without draining tank and filter to be sure not a spec of moisture is found to void warranty.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Contacted State fuel complaints division - that station has had no complaints in past year plus - over 100,000 customers. Sounds like dealer was imo scamming me?
That could be. We recently had a member whose dealer was adamant that his "contaminated fuel" was what caused the problem. Until the member grabbed a fuel sample and sent it off for analysis. The dealer's attitude quickly changed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well add me to the list of Ecodiesel owners to suffer an engine failure.

Half way into a hunting trip to Montana, pulled out to pass a slow camper, engine shuts off with "no Oil Pressure" message flashing.
Coasted to a stop, and the message changed to "put in park to restart"
Engine restarted, and seemed to run fine.
Continued on to the next town that had a Ram dealer and had them look at it.

Metal parts in oil pan and filter. No knocking, no clanking.

Truck is back to my home dealer, and they ordered a new engine today with what appears to be none in stock in the US. Let the wait begin.

71,000 miles, stock.
Do you have a tuned PCM, any aftermarket parts? I’m at 133k on my 2015 and she runs better now than ever. GDE Tune, Banks bullet tune, CAI, deleted muffler, and probably more that I can’t remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
997 Posts
Sorry to hear that Lucky Dog. It probably froze and then spun a bearing (or 2). We had that happen on 5020 JD tractor once. Brother said it started to lose power, he looked down and the oil pressure was zero. Pushed the clutch in and it came back to life but then would only develop 10 psi of pressure. Pulled the pan and found metal in the oil so we pulled the main bearing caps and there they were ... torn up main bearings.
lol, the good old days when you could tear into an engine with common tools!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well add me to the list of Ecodiesel owners to suffer an engine failure.

Half way into a hunting trip to Montana, pulled out to pass a slow camper, engine shuts off with "no Oil Pressure" message flashing.
Coasted to a stop, and the message changed to "put in park to restart"

71,000 miles, stock.

This is exactly what I got today. 87k on my 2014. I only have 5 months left on my 5yr warranty.

But my engine would never restart. I would just turn over and over.... as if it was out of Diesel.

Towed to dealer in Denver.... We will see what they say in a couple of days.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
did you get code PO336 Crankshaft sensor (letter " O ") (accompanied with U1401, )
usually come with a few other codes like :
- PO16D Excessive timing (letter " O ")
PO62B Internal control module fuel injector (letter " O ")
PO0631C

that is when you know for sure it is the crankshaft position sensor..
tricky one , have seen members who said fixed under powertrain warranty ,
and other who said said==> not covered., Only internal lubricated parts.
see this thread for info on work to be done and prices :https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/62960-she-died-2.html#post951980

·
Registered
2 Posts
I buy exxon/mobil diesel for my Ford f250 6.7 L diesel now showing 175000 trouble free miles. Have seen no fewer than 10 dodge ecodiesels at the Auction that have died, I don't think Fiat is doing justice to dodge with their eco diesel, better stick too Cummins

·
Administrator
8,845 Posts
I buy exxon/mobil diesel for my Ford f250 6.7 L diesel now showing 175000 trouble free miles. Have seen no fewer than 10 dodge ecodiesels at the Auction that have died, I don't think Fiat is doing justice to dodge with their eco diesel, better stick too Cummins
For the most part, the ecodiesel has proven to be very reliable. Some with well over 300,000 miles. I wonder if some of those auction ED's are flood vehicles?

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the most part, the ecodiesel has proven to be very reliable. Some with well over 300,000 miles. I wonder if some of those auction ED's are flood vehicles?
I observed 1 husband and wife at Walmart adding coolant to their 2019 ram eco diesel which was overheating at 28000 miles and wondering why he was having this problem only 4 months ago, this is not an isolated incident

·
Administrator
8,845 Posts
I observed 1 husband and wife at Walmart adding coolant to their 2019 ram eco diesel which was overheating at 28000 miles and wondering why he was having this problem only 4 months ago, this is not an isolated incident
Well I've been here since the beginning and like I said."For the most part, the ecodiesel has proven to be very reliable. Some with well over 300,000 miles. I wonder if some of those auction ED's are flood vehicles?" Funny thing is forums like this always attract unhappy owners and my guess is most satisfied owners never even hit the forums. I'm not judging ED reliability on what I see in a walmart parking lot. Lol. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
The minute that Cummins makes a diesel that gets 30+ mpg, I'll be in line to purchase one.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts