RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

One More Dead Ecodiesel

30K views 96 replies 43 participants last post by  RansomT 
#1 ·
Well add me to the list of Ecodiesel owners to suffer an engine failure.

Half way into a hunting trip to Montana, pulled out to pass a slow camper, engine shuts off with "no Oil Pressure" message flashing.
Coasted to a stop, and the message changed to "put in park to restart"
Engine restarted, and seemed to run fine.
Continued on to the next town that had a Ram dealer and had them look at it.

Metal parts in oil pan and filter. No knocking, no clanking.

Truck is back to my home dealer, and they ordered a new engine today with what appears to be none in stock in the US. Let the wait begin.

71,000 miles, stock.

#2 ·
Oh man, that’s crazy!! Were you towing when your engine blew? If so, how heavy was your travel trailer or trailer? Also, is FCA covering the replacement of your engine and the labor? Also, are they providing a loaner?

Just curious so I know what to look forward to when mine go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Sorry to hear that Lucky Dog. It probably froze and then spun a bearing (or 2). We had that happen on 5020 JD tractor once. Brother said it started to lose power, he looked down and the oil pressure was zero. Pushed the clutch in and it came back to life but then would only develop 10 psi of pressure. Pulled the pan and found metal in the oil so we pulled the main bearing caps and there they were ... torn up main bearings.

#9 ·
Sorry to hear of another one but at least it's under warranty. Keep us posted.

#13 ·
Losing a hunting trip would really tick me off. You have a positive attitude under awful conditions.

Hope it all works out but looks like the hunting is a wash. Major bummer to me.

#14 ·
Sorry to hear this Lucky. This really sucks.

Hard to believe that there are none in stock. I call BS on the dealer...

#16 ·
Lucky Dog-(reminds me of the 3 legged dog named Lucky)

About how far did you drive it to find a dealer? DId it seem to run normal? Did you drive it slowly? Did you drive it home from the dealer or have it shipped? This is a very different scenario than we have heard of before. All I recall have pretty much simultaneously lost oil pressure/knocked/seized more or less simultaneously when driving at highway speed. I do recall a couple describing some period of knocking but as I recall it they were driving at town speeds.

It is hard for me to imagine what caused it to lose oil pressure but then regain it when the engine was restarted.

All the best,

#17 ·
Yes, it was very odd. After the pressure loss message, the truck seemed to run fine. I was about 40 miles from the next town and continued on. Almost kept driving since nothing seemed wrong but decided to stop and have it checked out.
At first the mechanic couldn't find anything, no codes, he test drove it and it ran fine. I asked him to do an oil change and check the oil with a strainer. That is when the metal shavings and chunks showed up.

We talked quit a while about what my options were, leaving it 500+ miles from home made no sense to any one, plus they had a 3-4 week backlog right off the bat.
A flat bed ride was going to cost between $2.50 and $3.00 per mile. He said he could probably get me a uhaul truck and trailer for much less.
I finally asked him what he would do and he said he would put fresh oil in it and head for home. The closer I got, the cheaper the tow bill would be.
So that is what I did, drove it the 525 miles real slow and easy. I think it took me 13 hours. It never missed a beat.

When my local mechanic opened it up again, it was full of metal once again.

I believe that had I not had the no pressure hicup, I would have never known there was an issue until the bottom came lose, or I did an oil change, whichever came first.

#18 ·
Well, I know what your problem is..... It is your handle. You can only go so long with a name like "Lucky Dog" until the crap hits the fan. LOL.

In all seriousness, that would totally blow and yet you seem to be taking it well. I always figured that it never payed to "blow a gasket" at folks because it will probably make your life harder, rather than easier. I like what that mechanic told you to do. The damage was already done so get her closer to home.
As much as I love my truck, this sort of stuff does concern me a little.

#22 ·
Well, I know what your problem is..... It is your handle. You can only go so long with a name like "Lucky Dog" until the crap hits the fan. LOL.
It is all a matter of perspective. I feel like the Lucky Dog because a day later and this thing could have let go in the middle of no where Montana. Some of the places I hunt could be 30 - 50 miles from anything. :)

#25 ·
The service manager had no idea and the mechanic had left for the day. The parts department simply said there were none available, with no estimated time to get one. They also said that they would get a stock update in five days. I assume that means the inventory system may update in five days?

#26 ·
I find it odd that with an engine failure rate akin to this one that they would let the in stock engine supply drop to 0. If im allowed to hope and dream maybe they have done something to fix the problems and your waiting on an updated motor lol yeah right... well who knows maybe Lucky Dog will strike again.

#29 ·
There is someone in Ontario advertising FULL EcoDiesel engines brand new for sale. Not long blocks, but everything.

Complete brand new EcoDiesel engine with 2yr/unlimited km warranty. These engine come complete with turbo, egr system, all sensors, wiring etc etc. installation available through our shop if desired...
Personal protective equipment Engine Auto part Compact car

Reactions: Sasquatchilly
#32 ·
Lucky Dog, that’s a great attitude you have... the Man upstairs has a way of looking out for us!

I’ve got a 2014 That is currently having the engine replaced as we speak. FCA actually cancelled the first order for an engine, and forced them to order an “updated” version that and with a different wiring harness. Truck has been at the dealer for almost a month, and they are hopefully looking to have it out next week sometime.

My hope, along with others here is that the replacement engine is the new design, with the issues worked out.

Keep us posted!

#35 ·
I’ve got a 2014 That is currently having the engine replaced as we speak. FCA actually cancelled the first order for an engine, and forced them to order an “updated” version that and with a different wiring harness. Truck has been at the dealer for almost a month, and they are hopefully looking to have it out next week sometime.

My hope, along with others here is that the replacement engine is the new design, with the issues worked out.
The thing is, FCA hasn't admitted that there is a problem with the current Eco design. All we know so far about the next generation EcoDiesel is that it will get performance updates. New turbo, low friction pistons, new injectors etc. These are undoubtedly to keep RAM at the top of the heap in terms of power and economy now that they have competition. No mention of bearing upgrades/fixes or anything like that. If FCA has made improvements in this area they haven't told the public about it.

I would "hope" that the new design has all the other issues worked out. I find it hard to believe that FCA would ignore past failures and not learn from them. It's got to be costing them a bundle in warranty repairs. You know they have a huge sample of engines that puked their guts for failure analysis. There is plenty of data to take the necessary corrective actions. I just wish they would break the silence and let us know whats going on.

#39 ·
Why did I ever come to this site? If I hadn't, I would be blissfully happy with my truck and not expecting it to upchuck it's cookies at any given moment.:confused: Better a surprise than always fretting over it. On the other hand, I would have missed all the fine people here and the wealth of information shared.:cool:

#46 ·
You could look at the crappy bright side. At least if you love your truck and are heading past 100K you know you need to leave your self about 10K aside for motor job that may or may not happen. Or you could dump the truck near 100k and start over. I agree, it does suck knowing about potential problems. Its always in the back of your mind. LIke what was that noise? That did not sound normal. Is it dying?

#42 ·
I expect that if we keep the radiator full, use and change the oil appropriately and do whatever other maintenance is specified for air filters and fuel filters and other fluid changes the life of the engine is serendipity. You have a good one and treat it OK it lasts. You have a bad one and treat it appropriately and it fails. You have a bad one and baby it and it fails a day later than if you had used it normally. The engine you get is the luck of the draw and if you change the oila nd air and fuel filter and use the right oil and put it in drive and go it will either be fine or it won't and I do not believe there is much the operator can do to make a bad engine last as long as a good engine will.

Use the damn truck and if the engine fails hope it is in the warranty period. I don't recall any failing with more than 100.000 miles on them. bticbw

Don't worry, be happy and look for Bobby Feron in my previous posts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.