RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish! My wife’s Durango R/T has em and I sure wish my ED had em. Makes down/up shifting a breeze. If there was an easy way to add them without doing major surgery I’d be game. Anyone else have paddles on their other car and wish the same?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not? They are infinitely easier to change gears than a button, knob, stick, etc

·
Registered
139 Posts
If by paddle you mean a stick coming up through the center console that forces one to manually shift gears then yes I wish mine had that. Otherwise no thanks.
Paddle shifters are strictly steering wheel devices (paddles) that let you downshift/upshift directly from the steering wheel without having to remove your hands, and are usually associated with sports cars or higher end performance vehicles. The console-mounted shifter you are referring to is more common in everyday cars, and more of them are coming with the "manual" shift feature via moving the shift lever left/right while in the drive position or a single paddle on the shift handle.

In regards to the OP, I do not find myself needing to manually change gears with the current steering buttons in the ED now, so I personally wouldn't care, but I do agree it would be easier with paddles, and I do love all the other steering wheel mounted functions. 😎

·
Registered
726 Posts
I installed paddles in a Chrysler/AMG vehicle that I used to track. It was a big job but worth it for a sports car. No interest in doing it in my truck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wished for them also. I had the paddle shifters on a grand cherokee ED, and i loved them - the solid metal feel, and the exhaust sound. Often wondered if a junked higher end jeep steering wheel would be compatible. I often "Jake brake" the ram with my thumb on the miniscule gear +/- buttons, which are better than nothing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Paddle shifters? LOL how about a damn CLUTCH? I'd rather go back to a 6spd ANY DAY. I wish RAM made one for the 1500. I ALMOST got the 2500 just for this reason. Hate automatics, especially after they screwed up the shift points EVEN MORE after the AEM.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I love a manual transmission. With the wife and family it just isn't in the cards for me anymore 😢

That said I love the heck out of this 8-speed ZF... all except it needs a dipstick and a external spin on filter, but that will never happen.

I read this and find myself say its no small wonder we have more engine failures.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Paddle shifters are strictly steering wheel devices (paddles) that let you downshift/upshift directly from the steering wheel without having to remove your hands, and are usually associated with sports cars or higher end performance vehicles. The console-mounted shifter you are referring to is more common in everyday cars, and more of them are coming with the "manual" shift feature via moving the shift lever left/right while in the drive position or a single paddle on the shift handle.

In regards to the OP, I do not find myself needing to manually change gears with the current steering buttons in the ED now, so I personally wouldn't care, but I do agree it would be easier with paddles, and I do love all the other steering wheel mounted functions. 😎
I was refering to a true manual transmission shifting an automatic is a waste of time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you live in a hilly environment paddles are the easiest way to downshift, save the brakes, and keep your eyes on the road. On my daily commute I go up/down 3 hills. If I don't downshift I'm forced to use the brakes or exceed the speed limit by more than I desire. If you have never owned a vehicle with paddles or you drive on flat land or never tow I can understand why you wouldn't think you need or want them. The truck will not downshift on it's own enough to provide engine braking going downhill. For those who prefer a stick shift, more power to you. Having paddles on a truck doesn't mean you are trying to turn a utility vehicle into a space ship but just making the driving experience more pleasurable. I say don't knock it until you try it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well guys you're in luck if you want some! I'm just waiting on some parts and I'm going to start testing a set I'm building. If it works out I'll be selling the sets with a new back plate with the paddles mounted and simple wiring. You'd of course have to remove your steering wheel to install the kit but that's minimal.
This would only be for the 8 speed trucks with existing shift buttons on the wheel.

For full on demand paddle shifting you'd need a tune but if you wanted to set limits like the steering wheel does you'd be fine.

Now my secret is out.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
876 Posts
I'm in Kona for a bit and I rented a 2015 Jeep. I just love the way you can shift gears with the center stick, little side shifts, something not so handy on the 1500 Ram steering wheel. It is a very hilly place Hawaii.

Too bad it dont' have the ecodiesel motor, the v-6 gasser is a pig.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
876 Posts
Well guys you're in luck if you want some! I'm just waiting on some parts and I'm going to start testing a set I'm building. If it works out I'll be selling the sets with a new back plate with the paddles mounted and simple wiring. You'd of course have to remove your steering wheel to install the kit but that's minimal.
This would only be for the 8 speed trucks with existing shift buttons on the wheel.

For full on demand paddle shifting you'd need a tune but if you wanted to set limits like the steering wheel does you'd be fine.

Now my secret is out.
Pictures!!!!??????

·
Registered
891 Posts
I find the buttons on the steering wheel good enough. Had paddle shifters on my wife's golf and think I only used them two or three times in four years.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Happy for you ncskibum. However, for guys like me who have paddles on their other car and use the downshifting function on both vehicles frequently, paddles are much easier. I want them for 90% functionality and 10% cool factor.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts