RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm still not up on the reason for using paddle shifters. Maybe I'm just not up on how the truck works, but as far as I know we can limit how high of a gear it uses, but we can't make the transmission either upshift or hold a gear? If so, then all we can do is downshift?

As far as engine braking ... I use cruise a lot because most of my mileage is highway, and when I am coasting downhill in cruise I find that the truck downshifts all by itself and when it does that the motor revs like crazy .... and I don't like that ... I think it's hard on the motor. So.....I exit cruise and let the engine idle and let the truck speed up down the hills and then when it slows to highway speed at the bottom of the hill I turn the cruise back on. If the hill is really steep I use the brakes a bit.

I must be missing something.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I doubt I'd purchase this modification, but I think it's a good idea. I have, on occasion (once or twice), accidentally hit the Gear +/- when intending to adjust the cruise control on the steering wheel. Having paddle shifters would be much easier than having to look down and pick the +/- gear buttons and would eliminate the accidental hitting of the wrong buttons, IMHO.

·
Registered
156 Posts
To enjoy the shifters to full extent you'd need a transmission tune. Factory tuning allows you to set max gear, you can't select which gear you want to be in it still does that it's self. With a tune you can have demanded gear select so if you are cruising down the road and it's holding 7th just tap your shifter and it goes into 8th or whatever gear you want. For me I tow alot so it'll be handy plus on highway I don't care if it lugs because I have it in 8th and holding.
The reason I want these is because I like the user controability I'd have had a ram sport with a manual transmission if I could but it's not an option so next best thing is paddles...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
why do so many people want you to have what they have (which isn't what I need or want) or nothing because they don't see a need for it? I'm sure everyone desiring paddles appreciates the input of other options (as do I) but please realize that we have different needs/wants.

·
Registered
686 Posts
why do so many people want you to have what they have (which isn't what I need or want) or nothing because they don't see a need for it? I'm sure everyone desiring paddles appreciates the input of other options (as do I) but please realize that we have different needs/wants.
I don't care what others use or don't use, have or don't have ..... but when you post a topic on a public board you are going to get replies. If you don't want replies, don't post the topic.

As far as the paddle shifters go, I grew up with manual gearboxes, both floor and column and beginning at age twelve I have driven everything from two to twenty-two wheels, so I have a pretty good idea about how engines and transmissions work together. Hence, when someone says "oh I'd like paddle shifters", but doesn't go on to explain that without a trans tune the paddle shifters are mostly bling .... then I gotta' wonder what the benefit is .... ?

If a trans tune gets you the gear holding that makes paddle shifters worthwhile, then .... there's a good reason, but ya' gotta get both .... yes?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't care what others use or don't use, have or don't have ..... but when you post a topic on a public board you are going to get replies. If you don't want replies, don't post the topic.

As far as the paddle shifters go, I grew up with manual gearboxes, both floor and column and beginning at age twelve I have driven everything from two to twenty-two wheels, so I have a pretty good idea about how engines and transmissions work together. Hence, when someone says "oh I'd like paddle shifters", but doesn't go on to explain that without a trans tune the paddle shifters are mostly bling .... then I gotta' wonder what the benefit is .... ?

If a trans tune gets you the gear holding that makes paddle shifters worthwhile, then .... there's a good reason, but ya' gotta get both .... yes?
I agree 100% on the two going hand in hand. You don't need a trans tune to have the paddles. That said you are missing out on a whole other world not having The two together. You have to have a tune to have control of commanded gear.

A BIG SIDE NOTE!!! :
As far as I know diablo tuners CANNOT give you the on demand shifting!! I've asked and my tuner said not possible with that brand tuner or CMR software.

Hp tuners on the other hand has access to this and can give you the on demand feature the drawback is you have to either buy the hp tuners yourself and learn to tune/pay extra for someone to email tune you or go to a tuner in your area and have them flash a tune onto your truck.

Eco diesel tuners should give you the options too if you have any doubts contact a tuner and make sure it's possible.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Paddle shifters worked great for downshifting in the Rocky Mountains. No trans tune.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Yabbut .. I can do that with the steering wheel buttons ... always have ... no problems. That makes the paddles .... bling.
Yes, same here, in the Rockies every year with my Ram. The paddles are simply a convenience as the Ram buttons aren't the easiest to find without taking my eyes off the road.

I could also use hand cranks for my windows, yet I choose not to :p:p

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Wow! I have a Durango with paddles and driving from Portland to Bend (Oregon) I downshift MANY times to control speed. I DO NOT want or need to stay in one gear. I NEED the ability to easily downshift when going downhill to avoid excess speed. Neither my Durango or ED can control speed when going downhill on a 6% grade without downshifting or braking. If buttons are your style, great. I’d rather use paddles based on my experience.

Seems many people feel, based on their contributions, that if you don’t want what they have then you have a problem. I say to each his/her own. I don’t care what any other ED owner wants to do to his own rig. Ideas and options are appreciated but not sarcasm.

if you’ve never owned a car with paddles and driven it in hilly environments I’d say you may be missing out on something. Hard to bad mouth something with no experience. Just sayin.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Neither my Durango or ED can control speed when going downhill on a 6% grade without downshifting or braking.
Have you tried setting the cruise, it will downshift to maintain speed. I try to be lazy when I drive and let the vehicle do the work. Some people get all up in arms if you mention using cruise going through the mountains or worse if while towing. Truth is the vehicles are smarter than a lot of people give them credit for.
Paddles would be fun to have.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Good idea Crash68. If the hills had no curves that would work fine but quite often the max safe speed changes from 55 down to 30.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Without a ecm tune with turbo braking I found downshifting to do nothing on these, diesels just dont build back pressure and they dont have a throttle body to create suction. Now with a proper ecm tune with turbo braking I used my + and - buttons a lot while towing down grades. So in those conditions paddle shifters would have been welcome.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I understand and agree ;)

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Without a ecm tune with turbo braking I found downshifting to do nothing on these, diesels just dont build back pressure and they dont have a throttle body to create suction.
Worked for me coming down from Pike's Peak and other steep grades.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Worked for me coming down from Pike's Peak and other steep grades.
Maybe I am doing something wrong .... when I let the cruise run, and I am on a downhill grade, the transmission downshifts and the engine screams. I've seen it running 5k plus on a downhill. To me, 5000rpm is just too high on this motor.

If I release the cruise, the engines seems to have the same amount of braking, but it essentially idles .... (1k - 1.2k).

??

·
Registered
686 Posts
Seems many people feel, based on their contributions, that if you don’t want what they have then you have a problem. I say to each his/her own. I don’t care what any other ED owner wants to do to his own rig. Ideas and options are appreciated but not sarcasm.
This is the second time you've posted this. Where is this coming from? Nobody said you can't, nobody has been sarcastic ... ??

·
Registered
853 Posts
Happy for you ncskibum. However, for guys like me who have paddles on their other car and use the downshifting function on both vehicles frequently, paddles are much easier. I want them for 90% functionality and 10% cool factor.
That also points out a difference in the VW versus FCA tranny. My VW diesels will downshift and use engine braking with a slight touch of the brake pedal. For dropping a gear or two in the mountains, it works great. For longer steeper runs, just a slight push of the shifter and I have as much control as I need.

Comment above points out the need for a tranny tune. That makes sense to wake the engine up and let it do the work it is truely capable of.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts