RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
That also points out a difference in the VW versus FCA tranny. My VW diesels will downshift and use engine braking with a slight touch of the brake pedal. For dropping a gear or two in the mountains, it works great. For longer steeper runs, just a slight push of the shifter and I have as much control as I need.
With the trans tune, tapping the brake works amazingly for forcing a downshift. Too bad the stock trans tune isn't as intuitive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes a trans tune is great don't get me wrong. But sometimes I want to hold a gear going up a hill instead of dropping it and roaring along. I'm rather modified and sometimes I don't like showing everyone in town I'm running headers a cam and cat deletes by dropping gears and picking up rpm if that makes sense. I would much rather have full control over my vehicle, the buttons are there why wouldn't chrysler make them more functional? I'm going to make it work. Some of you may not want the paddles and I understand that you consider modifying your ride is a set of floor mats but, the thread says ooohhh paddles and I'm working on em so others can enjoy them too when I get em done. If you don't see any use for paddles on your ride or are happy with the mediocre dodge programming why keep commenting? Lol

·
Registered
643 Posts
I used to tow a lot with a modified 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. The slap shift was awesome. But given our steering controls, already, not sure if I'd want paddles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So perhaps someone can school me on this.
It was my understanding that even with paddles and a trans tune that the computer still controls shifts so you can't accidentally over rev or lug the engine.
If this is the case, then how is this better then what we have?
For example, when I'm towing down hill and in tow haul mode, all I have to do is tap my brakes twice and the truck automatically down shifts and does provide a fair amount of drag. When I'm going up hill I can simply hit the minus button and the truck will automatically down shift if the rpms are within limits.

So other then convience, which I completely understand, is there another benefit to a trans tune with paddles?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Tons of benefits to a trans tune. No more detuning based on steering wheel position, much quicker shifting through the gears, intuitive downshifts coupled with the engine braking of an ECM tune, the list goes on and on. Makes the truck a towing beast.

The paddles are all personal preference. For me, it's the convenience of having trans shifting at your fingertips without having to hunt down the miniscule buttons on the steering wheel. In the mountains, that's huge for me.

·
Registered
649 Posts
On the vehicle that I installed paddles, an issue of placement and which manufacturer of paddles would best fit as the space between the stock steering wheel and the turn signal stalk was limited. Didnt leave much room for a set of aging, pudgy fingers. Something to consider.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts