·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During our first road trip I noticed the following operating temperatures:
Water: 204 degrees
Oil: 210
Trans: 197
The water and oil temps seem find to me but 197 for the trans while driving in 79 degree weather seems a bit high. Makes me wonder what will happen when I tow the travel trailer. Do these temps seem normal and is there any way to lower the trans temp?

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
827 Posts
Those temps are fine. Expect oil and coolant to get 30deg hotter if you really make it work, and it will still be fine. Apparently the coolant thermostat does not fully open until 228deg.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oil and water seem normal to me, I was more worried about the trans temp. A trans temp of 197 degrees when not towing, wonder what it will be towing the travel trailer?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Several towing threads here, mine included. 197 isn't a problem, heck we don't even know yet if there's a thermostat on the tranny fluid cooler and what temp it opens at. Maybe 180deg?

Sure, pulling a load up a hill makes the tranny work harder, but as it's temp goes up, so does the efficiency of it's cooling. If when towing your temp goes above 220deg or so, slow down. Mine didn't get any where near that hot and my trailer was 7600lb. 'Course my trip didn't have any mountains either.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well guess I will just have to tow the trailer and see what happens. I do have a lots of hills around me to test on.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Optimal basic operating temp for the tranny is like 190 and above. On the hemi, the engine oil and tranny fluid are heated by the engine coolant to get it to operating temps as quickly as possible. I'm assuming this works in the same manner at least for the tranny?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
"Optimal basic operating temp for the tranny is like 190 and above."
My old 2013 Tahoe trans ran about 180 under normal driving, jump really high to 210 towing. Added a trans cooler to the Tahoe and the trans temp never went over 195 towing and stayed around 150 not towing. I wonder if my 1500 ECO diesel has an external trans cooler?

·
Registered
145 Posts
It sure would be nice to get some exact operating ranges for the trans, oil, and egt temps, instead of ballpark figures. I don't have my truck yet, so I can't look at the manual, are these listed anywhere? I'd really like to know the hard limitations before I start towing with the truck.

·
Registered
738 Posts
"Optimal basic operating temp for the tranny is like 190 and above."
My old 2013 Tahoe trans ran about 180 under normal driving, jump really high to 2010 towing. Added a trans cooler to the Tahoe and the trans temp never went over 195 towing and stayed around 150 not towing. I wonder if my 1500 ECO diesel has an external trans cooler?
Agreed on all fronts. I read the 190 in some RAM documentation, and how they literally heat the tranny fluid to get it to optimal temp more quickly. The fluid in my wife's 300 is good for 65,000 miles, these are good for 100K. Seems like they like to run them hot ?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Depending on the trim level your evic will show it...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yes, the Easiest way to explain is the screen that shows the trucks "height" push the > or < key and you will be The screen come up with digital temps

·
Registered
764 Posts
Towing a 24' pontoon at 65 on interstate. Temps got 224 cooling 181 transfer and 243 for oil. All seemed high but that will be my baseline for the truck.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
On my Laramie Longhorn you can program the instrument panel and get numbers for water temp, oil temp, transmission temp, voltage and oil pressure . Interesting that the relatively high numbers mentioned here are mid range on the analog gauges. My take is they are doing everything they can to save diesel a teaspoon at a time. One good thing about high oil temps is all water is driven off. Also all recommended lubes are full synthetic which can easily handle the temp. The hotter you run the more efficient you are and the less energy you are rejecting to the air. I wasn't surprised by the temps but was by the very low oil pressures. 22-25 at 55-60 mph ion eighth when warmed up in 60 degree ambient weather. Again trying to reduce parasitic losses and save fuel. Obviously bearing s must be designed for these low pressures but just different tha anything I have seen previously.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
most of us are using the EVIC as it is one of the readouts; however if you don't have the EVIC then the other way is using an ODB2 adapter along with an app like Torque (for Android) where it pulls all the vehicle info available and you can setup your own gauge/displays. its worth the $25 investment...

·
Registered
177 Posts
my old ford 150 trans died when it hit 230 towing had to have it rebuilt. Added a trans cooler to the F150 and the trans temp never went over 197 towing and stayed around 150 not towing. my new ram has been in the shop since I bought it so I couldn't tell you what I see on my truck :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts