RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck has GDE hot tune. Securing a 2nd back up ECM with hot tune as well, so one will be the "dealer" ECM that they can overwrite and one will always remain with GDE tune. I believe I have the EGR cooler leak as I recently started losing coolant and can "smell" it under the hood at times. No obvious leaks from both looking on top and below the motor. Considering taking the leap of faith and deleting the EGR cooler, but I have a few questions to make sure I am understanding this correctly.
1) Will my current GDE hot tune already allow me to delete the EGR cooler without any further modifications correct? 2) What is the difference between the EGR delete and a "full delete"? I'm assuming it means completely bypassing/removing the emissions exhaust/DEF system on the truck, but not exactly sure what that entails? 3) Is it possible (any advantage/disadvantage) to just doing the EGR delete vs the full delete? 4) Recommendations for specific complete kits to accomplish both the EGR delete and the full delete? 5) once you delete, no going back to the dealer....who do you have service your ecodiesel's if/when the time comes going forward?

My basic understanding is that with the GDE tune, my truck runs cleaner and is noted by less regeneration cycles/use of DEF. If I do a full delete it basically removes all that and I will no longer need the DEF system. If I do just the EGR delete, it basically bypasses the soot recirculating into the engine somehow, but I still need my DEF system in place and operational? Does running the GDE tune keep that component "cleaner"?

Anything else I should be aware of? I seem to recall that when you do the EGR delete, to take apart the intake and clean the soot out? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Basically your tune has already shut down the egr so you can fully delete the egr system including the cooler, but if you are still regenerating then your tune doesn't have the "off road" option which disabled the DEF /DPF system and therefore can't delete those systems

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
It's all depending on the date you got your GDE hot tune ,
old version Hot tune was compatible with stage 1 EGR delete , BUT ,
if you got it after middle of 2016 , the Hot tune is then compatible with EGR stage 2 delete .
you can phone GDE or email them a question on exact date of Hot tune version compatible with stage 2 EGR delete .
--------
date of tune in relation to which EGR delete compatibility mentioned in this thread :
Stage 1 EGR delete installed with pictures of EGR TUBE/Intake
======================================
EGR delete removes EGR only .
Full delete you would need a straight pipe and emove the DPF and SCR ,
then you would need the Hot tune to be changed to a OFF Road tune ( no longer available for USA owners )
------
just removing EGR is more evironment friendly , you still filter the soot , and inject the DEF in SCR ,
only remove DPF and SCR if you need to spend thousands to replace them , since you are tuned , that could take forever .
----------
stage 2 EGR delete thread :
EGR Cooler stage 2 delete Instructions .
-----------
image of conversion for full delete of emission system .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the links and the responses. Very informative. I think I am going to go with the EGR delete only at this time. One last question, and I know this is more subjective than objective, but if you modify any of the emission system by deleting, does it drop your resale value when it comes time to upgrade? Or even worse, if you want to trade in the truck to a dealership vs. selling privately, will a dealership accept the truck if it has been modified? I plan to keep the truck for a while, however when the time comes I will be looking to upgrade at some point. Thoughts?

·
Registered
13,189 Posts
Traded mine to a dealer with GDE.

Only thing is they normally do not sell vehicles with over 100,000 miles on them. Guessing mine immediately went to auction. Then used car lots and private buyers end up with them. They operate on different constraints than dealers do when dealing with used vehicle sales.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so why are there so few egr stage 2 kits available now for purchase? No more sasquatch? Hardly any online? Did EPA come down on these types of businesses as well (bring me up to speed)? So for anybody who has done the egr removal recently, what kit did you end up going with and why? Thank you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
so why are there so few egr stage 2 kits available now for purchase? No more sasquatch? Hardly any online? Did EPA come down on these types of businesses as well (bring me up to speed)? So for anybody who has done the egr removal recently, what kit did you end up going with and why? Thank you.
Look on eBay.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Wondering what is happening to the tuning options that were left. The Canadian brothers of our favorite 3 letter group have been listed as out of stock for some time now... wonder if they are gone for good too?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
so why are there so few egr stage 2 kits available now for purchase? No more sasquatch? Hardly any online?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Did EPA come down on these types of businesses <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,
as well (bring me up to speed)? So for anybody who has done the egr removal recently,
what kit did you end up going with and why? Thank you.
September 18th 2019 , that's the date of the EPA Crackdown ...
after that a lot of sites stopped selling stuff related to emission .
I chose the CFT performance kit , reason , the plate that goes to location 2 in image ,
other kits , that are designed like the old discontinued Sasquatch kit , have a tube you have to fit there
with a 90 degree angle tube ,
less troubles with a plate like CFT kit , just personnal choice .
images of location 2 :
-first image: sasquatch kit ( stock fitting come off to be replaced by a 90 degree tube )
-second image : the NoEco kit ( you can see stock Mopar fitting that clips on top of NoEco tube )
-3rd image : the CFT kit ( again the stock tube fitting on top )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts