RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone read about options for factory heavier springs for increased payload? I would have to think there is something that could be done? possibly putting on heavier springs...
The Laramie I built on the website had a payload of 1140 pounds... It would be good to get that up to 1500-1600 pounds... and I would sacrifice some of the ride quality to do it.
I would think there are aftermarket springs, but I would like to see a factory option. If the option came from the factory, fit and warranty would not be an issue.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Never noticed any except the notation that the Outdoorsman model had heavier rear springs.

My plans are to first test it under tow and then decide. Options are air bags for little more than $100 inside the rear springs with manual fill. Then there's those helper bottoming springs that take the place of the yellow rubber bumpers they now use above the rear axle. That option starts to work at just about an inch sag and is also around a $100.

Never looked for replacement rear springs as I think heavier springs might both raise the rear up a bit when unloaded and maybe result in a bouncier ride. Don't mind a bouncy ride but then there's the issue of shock compatibility and tire wear if the rear bounced and takes the tires up and down with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in the same boat with this payload capacity I have my order on hold until they get my exact numbers on my Laramie longhorn with almost every option. I'll keep u posted will know tommorow

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Capt you're working the angles to help payload capacity already... and Fish, thanks let me know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
LL 6 4 bed with almost every options payload is.....859:((if I put a camper top on I'm down to 550.i guess I need to do some reconfiguring.the sales guys don't know a lot on these trucks yet.ive taught my sales guy and probably knows more about the truck then any other sales person because of me .

·
Registered
575 Posts
LL 6 4 bed with almost every options payload is.....859:((if I put a camper top on I'm down to 550.i guess I need to do some reconfiguring.the sales guys don't know a lot on these trucks yet.ive taught my sales guy and probably knows more about the truck then any other sales person because of me .

Fishman, I am not doubting the 859 payload in the LL. But, that is on the serious side of ridicules.

My 2000 Polaris Ranger 500 UTV has a payload above that!

You would think in a full size truck that number would be at least 1000 lbs. more.

Personally, payload is not that much of a concern for me as I have a trailer that matches the occasion on which it is needed. That said, I will still on a rare occasion drop a big bale of hay (800 lbs) in the bed. But with the Phatom Outdoorsman with the 3.0 in a 1500 trim level, I should be set
for all the jobs I need.

On a rarer occasion I need something bigger to tow with it, I can rent 2500 from Enterprise or pay someone to bring me what I need.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes it is sad.i guess I'm not going to be in Black and Tan.it matches my little shiba Inu dog as well, but it is true I've researched it enough,and I hope people become aware about this.all those fancy electronics add weight.sun roof is 65 lbs,air suspension 35,side steps,even the seats weigh more possibly. I think these trucks will be better next year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts