RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about ordering a 2020 Ram Ecodiesel. At the same time, I've always told myself that I would get a tuner the next time I bought a new Ecodiesel. The Ecodiesel hasn't been out long enough to see reputable tuners come to market. I'm not sure if I should hold off or go ahead and order a new 2020 truck. Decisions, decisions...... What would you do?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Okay, I know you've been salivating over this for at least a year now. Poor fella! It must be excruciating. Anyhow, my thinking is not just the tune but what about the brand new engine? You reckon you can hold out for at least a few more months to see if they're as good as we're hoping?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I know you've been salivating over this for at least a year now. Poor fella! It must be excruciating.
Either you're being sarcastic or you have a good memory, which is it? LOL

Anyhow, my thinking is not just the tune but what about the brand new engine? You reckon you can hold out for at least a few more months to see if they're as good as we're hoping?
You have a valid point about the engine. I'm either optimistic, naive, a risk-taker, or not the sharpest tool in the shed. Either way, I'm feeling pretty good about the gen 3 engine. After the gen 2 mishaps, I don't think FCA would be putting this engine in the Ram, Wrangler, and Gladiator if they didn't have confidence in the overall platform. I could be wrong, but I'm betting the gen 3 engine addressed the weaknesses that were found in the gen 2 engine. That's not to say there won't be problems, but that's the perspective I've adopted.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Strangely, this one of the rare times that my memory actually works. :D I remember you putting it out there that this is what you wanted. My intention was not to be sarcastic although it appears that my wording may say otherwise. Were I in your shoes, I would probably be ignoring my advice and jumping on it right away. However, my financial situation has changed as I'm now only collecting a small disability check and there's no way I can handle a note of any kind.

If I was still working with Vern, I would most definitely be looking at upgrading to a 2020. Hell, I'm a bit ate up with the idea of finding one with the full 12,000 pounds of towing capacity and using it for "hot shot" work. Couple thousand pounds of aluminum trailer and you can still haul 10,000 pounds of cargo. I'm curious as hell, but since my disability prevents me from passing the DOT physical (needed when GVW combined is over 12,000 pounds) I really can't. But I'm waiting to see some YouTuber try it!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strangely, this one of the rare times that my memory actually works. :D I remember you putting it out there that this is what you wanted.
Good memory for sure. I bought our 2015 Ecodiesel haphazardly. I was going through a midlife crisis and sold our 2000 Jeep Cherokee, 2007 Jeep Liberty, and 2006 Ram Cummins all in the same month. I also sold our cargo trailer and utility trailer. We were making some life changes and our priorities had shifted. The Ecodiesel was our 'jack of all trades' vehicle. He was big enough to tow our travel trailer and offered good fuel economy for commuting/traveling needs. It was supposed to be our interim vehicle until will we figured out what we wanted/needed moving forward.

However, my financial situation has changed as I'm now only collecting a small disability check and there's no way I can handle a note of any kind.
Sorry to hear about the disability. I hope this is just short term disability.

If I was still working with Vern, I would most definitely be looking at upgrading to a 2020. Hell, I'm a bit ate up with the idea of finding one with the full 12,000 pounds of towing capacity and using it for "hot shot" work. Couple thousand pounds of aluminum trailer and you can still haul 10,000 pounds of cargo. I'm curious as hell, but since my disability prevents me from passing the DOT physical (needed when GVW combined is over 12,000 pounds) I really can't. But I'm waiting to see some YouTuber try it!
It's exciting to see 1/2 trucks getting into the hot shot arena. The Crew Cab 4x4 has a payload of 1,800 lbs and a towing capacity of 9,710 lbs. I have a dump trailer that weighs 3,930 lbs. That leaves me with 5,780 lbs of material. I'm very happy with that number. Here's a picture of my current Ecodiesel with dump trailer:

·
Super Moderator
3,138 Posts
Zig, 12k? At minimum Ohio & Indiana are 26k. Hot shots are often dually GN loads and out of 1/2 ton scales capabilities. AS & 1/2 ton you rarely have to scale.

Bio when will you be out of warranty?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bio when will you be out of warranty?
My 2015 has the Mopar bumper-to-bumper extended warranty through June of 2020. I also have the AEM settlement warranty. I don't know if I will sell, trade, or keep the 2015.

·
Super Moderator
3,138 Posts
That at least gives you time & comfort through June as I’m pretty sure you won’t even have 120,000 on it yet. I say DO IT. I think it’s going to be a winner. What’s great is you have time to work a good deal and order it and have time for it to be built. If the dealership needs you walk away before they come to your terms right now you still have the luxury of time. With family connections I get 1.5 percent below dealer invoice with no add ons or hold backs. Dealership still makes some money helps to hit sales goals bonus incentives etc.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That at least gives you time & comfort through June as I’m pretty sure you won’t even have 120,000 on it yet.
I just turned 82,000 miles, so I have a lot of time left on the AEM warranty. The AEM warranty, if anything, would be helpful to encourage a private party sale.

I say DO IT. I think it’s going to be a winner.
I'm 99% sure we'll place an order by next week. (y)

What’s great is you have time to work a good deal and order it and have time for it to be built. If the dealership needs you walk away before they come to your terms right now you still have the luxury of time. With family connections I get 1.5 percent below dealer invoice with no add ons or hold backs. Dealership still makes some money helps to hit sales goals bonus incentives etc.
I got a price quote for invoice, less hold back, less $800, less rebates, and 50% off any service contract. That puts me somewhere around 13,000 off MSRP.

·
Super Moderator
3,138 Posts
I so highly valued the AEM warranty that I technically flushed it before leaving the dealership lot. :D

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Zig, 12k? At minimum Ohio & Indiana are 26k. Hot shots are often dually GN loads and out of 1/2 ton scales capabilities. AS & 1/2 ton you rarely have to scale.
I thought that it was 12K. But upon further research, I find that I was mistaken. 26,001 is the when a CDL is required. However, 10,001 - 26,000 still requires a DOT physical. I remember how shocked I was when a member here pointed that out to me. I don't remember his handle but he was a retired DOT inspector and his avatar was an old, rusted out brake chamber. Now, I can't find the law to post it. I can only find JJ Keller's write-up. I'm still looking, though.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Okay, here it is:
FMCSA said:
Overview

All commercial drivers of vehicles in interstate commerce with a maximum gross vehicle weight rating of over 10,000 pounds (4,536 kilograms) are required to obtain and maintain a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate (ME Certificate)
Medical | FMCSA <<====That's the link.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pull the trigger. Have 10 k on mine and couldn’t be happier. Will do the delete and tune soon as it’s available.
I'm hoping to place an order by next week. I'm going through the build with a fine tooth comb. This truck has to last me the next 15 years. :eek:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If you were to get pulled over, is that something that the officers are likely to ask for?
I don't know. When I was driving 18-wheelers, then, yes. 100% of the time you had to produce your medical card. I never really got checked when I was doing campers, so I'm not sure. I recently began watching hot shot videos where the one guy is showing folks that the door plate and trailer plates' combination weight ratings cannot exceed 26,000 pounds or you need a CDL. But I never hear any mention about needing a physical. So I'm not sure about the inspectors asking for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts