RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the trucks being ordered, wife and I were talking yesterday, with our son visiting, and wife said "why don't you just go ahead and order the truck"....

Son said "hold off payload is too low".

My thought and things going on are this;
1) Our company is starting layoffs. I am SERIOUS. The impact is supposed to be March-April-May. It started already in our one plant. So right now I do not know if I will have a job in 4-5-6 months., That is a consideration for me.

2) I talked to our financial guy, and I owe a nomimal amount on our house to pay it off... I will be paying off the house within 6 weeks, so there will be no more house payment, or mortgage. After that we have zero debt.

3) With consideration for 1, I was going to hold off, see what my job situation is, plus I want to see the experiences you all, Capt, Big Foot, Egodiesel, all the guys, when they take delivery.. .do they really like the truck? Your feedback after owning the truck 1-2 months, is going to be better and more valuable than a 25 minute test drive would be for me.

So while my happy girl said "go for it" yesterday, (which was awesome !!) the pragmatic side of me wants to hold off a few months, see what happens on my job / company,.... and get a few trucks delivered and on the road.

Any thoughts guys?

Marsman

·
Registered
50 Posts
With the trucks being ordered, wife and I were talking yesterday, with our son visiting, and wife said "why don't you just go ahead and order the truck"....

1) Our company is starting layoffs. I am SERIOUS. The impact is supposed to be March-April-May. It started already in our one plant. So right now I do not know if I will have a job in 4-5-6 months., That is a consideration for me.

2) I talked to our financial guy, and I owe a nomimal amount on our house to pay it off... I will be paying off the house within 6 weeks, so there will be no more house payment, or mortgage. After that we have zero debt.

3) With consideration for 1, I was going to hold off, see what my job situation is, plus I want to see the experiences you all, Capt, Big Foot, Egodiesel, all the guys, when they take delivery.. .do they really like the truck? Your feedback after owning the truck 1-2 months, is going to be better and more valuable than a 25 minute test drive would be for me.

So while my happy girl said "go for it" yesterday, (which was awesome !!) the pragmatic side of me wants to hold off a few months, see what happens on my job / company,.... and get a few trucks delivered and on the road.

Any thoughts guys?

Marsman

Whenever I have a tough decision to make, I always go with my 'gut' instinct. It sounds to be like your gut instinct is to wait. So wait. The trucks aren't going anywhere. That way you'll have a better understanding of the layoff situation and you might even get a 2015 instead of a 2014.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That's kind of were I'm at too(if I can wait any longer). I still think maybe they will offer a 1500HD in 2015. That would be great with the ED.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Any thoughts guys?

Marsman
I'm pretty sure the truck is going to be great, but I'm happy to guineapig it for you. One of my concerns that I'm looking at it the fact that you can't get the thing towed just anywhere because there's lots of places outside of the Ram/Dodge brand name that haven't even heard of this engine option.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I wonder what your wife has dreamed up?

Is she setting you up for that new kitchen? :)

In any case, I can see several advantages to waiting if you can. They are: Real feedback from real users., Perhaps more incentives and I bet rental fleets like Enterprise Commercial will put these trucks in their fleet ASAP. If they hit the commercial rental fleet, you could rent one for a day and put it through it's paces at your own real world test.

I also trust that gut feeling more than emotions.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sheep, Ego, Eco, and B Shan, thanks for the advice, and I appreciate it... when you all said "go with your gut"...

gut says hold off until see what happens with job. I have prob half of the cost of the truck tucked away, so when the time is ready to order I'll be ready. Keep me updated on your trucks boys... I am particularly interested to see how the 355 vs the 392 works. I am leaning towards 392, but probably either would work ....

thanks guys, and ya, must of caught "happy girl" at a weak moment, glad she's on board 100%. It will be a family rig - anyone can use it..
Marsman

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
...gut says hold off until see what happens with job.
You've been a public official and know all about making decisions. There is always uncertainty. You never have all the information you want. If you wait too long there are new factors and you have to start over. There is no right or wrong course, only different possibilities. With your positive attitude whatever you do choose will be fine.

We chose to take a chance because the truck fit our plans better than other choices and it appears to be a solid design. We will overload it at times but I think the Ram can take it. I have no idea how well the engine will work out but I do know that these machines are too complicated to be perfect. We'll make the best of it. Life is short, it's just a truck.

"Go in the direction your head is pointed." ― Jung Chang, Wild Swans

Reactions: EgoDiesel

·
Registered
366 Posts
You've been a public official and know all about making decisions. There is always uncertainty. You never have all the information you want. If you wait too long there are new factors and you have to start over. There is no right or wrong course, only different possibilities. With your positive attitude whatever you do choose will be fine.

We chose to take a chance because the truck fit our plans better than other choices and it appears to be a solid design. We will overload it at times but I think the Ram can take it. I have no idea how well the engine will work out but I do know that these machines are too complicated to be perfect. We'll make the best of it. Life is short, it's just a truck.

"Go in the direction your head is pointed." ― Jung Chang, Wild Swans
I also wanted to be able to have a truck nobody else had. The "first" and the "only one around" are important to me. The name is not just a clever rhyme.

·
Registered
458 Posts
gut says hold off until see what happens with job. I have prob half of the cost of the truck tucked away, so when the time is ready to order I'll be ready
I'm in the same sort of situation, funds available, but just more uncertian of what the immediate future holds (to me, <12 months). I think you're making the right move, esp considering the uncertainty of the employment situation and other possible factors once the truck is out there in the hands of the masses. We just don't know at this point, it could be a real dud for longterm owners despite the initial rave reviews from testers.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I also wanted to be able to have a truck nobody else had. The "first" and the "only one around" are important to me. The name is not just a clever rhyme.
We did that with our current vehicle, an SUV that was a new model a decade ago. It worked out fine after several minor problems were corrected. The first year it was fun to go on long trips and never see another one. Our neighbors with a similar car had some major problems because of a different transmission that was poorly matched to a larger engine--they did not do their homework. Synergy is important with vehicle designs.

I do not foresee many issues with the EcoDiesel because the only thing really new about it is the engine which is a solid design and an excellent match to the 1500. Everything else has been proven in the 2013 Truck of the Year. The only negative is the added weight which I think was adequately addressed. Of course, by now their are many 1500s on the road so only those who notice it is a diesel will take note.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Appears we are all in violent agreement. Unless your gut feel has a history of giving you a bum steer, then that's the direction you gotta go. I, too, have backed off from nigh 100% decided to buy immediately to now holding off at least a year or two to give the dust a chance to settle. Even though this 3.0L diesel does have a favorable history in Europe and in the Jeep, I wanna see how it marries up with the Ram before pulling the trigger. I'm anxiously awaiting feedback from forum members who are taking the plunge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts