RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered my new truck today. Will be interesting to see how I like the Pentastar. Details as follows

Longhorn with 5'7" Rambox with new split tailgate, 4x4 heavily optioned, 3.55 rear end ratio

Interestingly the boxes with the spit tailgate come with very stout braces at the top of the front corners of the box. They might interfere with certain tonneau covers. I have never had the Ramboxes before but am thinking I will not put a tonneau on this one. We will see,

MSRP including destination $$67,340 Invoice Price $61,700 Sales price of $$60,200 which I am told is all but $300 of holdback.

trade allowance for my 79,000 mile 2014 Longhorn 4x4 6'4" box heavily optioned with Ecodiesel $22,500

plus rebates of $2000 and dealer coupons of $500

I drive trade until new truck arrives so it will have 81,000 miles or so then. Tires were SR-As with 50% tread left. A couple dings in the tailgate but otherwise very clean truck. TRuck cost me about $47,000 new in June of 2014 so I got about 50% of its value on trade and have used up about 50% of the truck's life and it was the best half. I cannot complain on the deal.

Went to 3 dealers trade allowance varied from 19,000 to 22,500. In 6 weeks the best trade offer went down $500. Interestingly the best truck price came from 2 dealers, one with a $22500 trade offer and the other with a $19,000 trade offer and the highest trade offer dealer offered up $500 worth of dealer coupons.

One dealer reneged on the new truck price he agreed to in early September. When I went to order it a day later FCA had closed the window for all engines except the e-torque HEmi. Their original offer was reduce invoice by all of holdback except $100. Yesterday they wanted to keep the complete holdback.

While I wouldn't normally finance a truck FCA is currently offering 0% financing for 36 months without affecting rebates. As I read the offer it says for trucks from stock delivered by end October but dealer says he thinks I can have it if I want it. This is yet to be finalized one way or the other. If more rebates or coupons are available at delivery date I will get them too, including a willingness to hold the truck up to a week if it arrives late November and it looks like December rebates are better.

·
Administrator
8,578 Posts
Howie, Congrats on the new truck. I'm looking forward to your review of the Pentastar with e-torque. I had the Pentastar in my 2012 JGC and I liked it very much.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it will be fun to see how the Pentastar in my 4000# Pacifica minivan with 2 wd and a 9 speed transmission compares to the Pentastar in a 6000# 4wd Pickup with the 8 spd transmission. I did opt for the 3.55 rearend instead of the standard 3.21 or the 3.92. I drove a non e-torque with the 3.21 in a quad cab and was surprised how well it stayed in 8th at 50-55mph even up a bit of grade. It is a very smooth engine and should be quieter in the body on frame truck vs the unibody minivan so some downshifts should be OK and not too obtrusive.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well the pentastar is quite a reliable engine. We have it in our 2015 Grand Caravan which was a 24k Canadian dollar vehicle, after discounts. I'm just not sure what I think of it in such an expensive truck. That being said my 18 Hemi is having the lifters and maybe cam replaced next week. It makes the right noises and lots of power though. The van has close to 60k miles on it and it has not skipped a beat and she takes the oil change right to the limit and beyond the 10k miles maintenance minder. Not one slight bit of a warm up on cold start winter mornings either lol.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My days of straight thru exhausts, glass pack mufflers and VROOM VROOM are over for sure. As far as I am concerned the quieter the engine and exhaust the better. Hard to be quieter than the Ecodiesel in my current truck. I expect to hear more engine noise with the Pentstar than the Ecodiesel since I think it will generally be spinning at a higher RPM but the engine seems so smooth and quiet I don't think it will be problematic for me. I Having driven a 1980 Dodge regular cab, 888 ft box 2wd pickup with a 4 spd overdrive manual transmission and a 225 single barrel carburetor slant six for 50,000 miles I am sure the power will be adequate. Anyhow, the Ecodiesel was an experiment for me and the PEntastar will be one too. I will not be bashful about reporting what I think after I have owned it for a while regardless of whether it does or doesn't meet my expectations.

I sure like the PEntastar in my Pacifica though.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have stock exhaust on my truck, just sounds less hateful than a naturally asperated gas V6. Smooth and nice tone to the Hemi, I don't like noisy vehicles either. No offense but IMO the pentastar is a cheaply made engine for a 60k USD truck. That's insane money for a pentastar V6 powered vehicle.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't argue with your opinion so won't try. Perhaps when I live with it for a while I will feel the same. For now I think it is all the engine I need and want.

All the best,

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yeah everyone is entitled to their opinion. Anyways not raining on your parade here, enjoy the new vehicle. The new design is quite nice whatever engine it has.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Uncle has a pentestar in a quad cab 2wd. It’s seen it’s share of tow duty and held up really well. I have been impressed with it in every way except fuel mileage.

That said, no offense, but I cannot wrap my mind around a $60K+ pentestar powered pickup. I hope you enjoy it and look forward to reading your posts on it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I know they redesigned it again since then. But the pentastar in the van 2015 is some noisy, rough, raspy engine by todays standards. I can always hear when she or the neighbor fire those things up. I'm not crazy about Japanese cars but the Honda and Toyota have a superior V6. Maybe the next generation Tundra will have the gas V6 and half ton buyers can rejoice. They tried to sell me a pentastar Ram just couldn't do it. Use to have a Honda ridgeline and all that downshifting all the time on level ground and that was 1500 lbs lighter. Sure you feed the Hemi some extra fuel but highway mileage is pretty darn close. Those Gladiator Rubicons are crazy money with the pentastar. For that kind of money a person should spend a bit more and get a Gladiator EcoDiesel.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Visited my uncle today. He lives across the street from a gm dealer. They had many 2020 crew cab 4x4 duramaxes with the new 10 speed Alison and fancy tailgate leather heated and cooled seats with msrp’s at $70k. I sure hope they offer big rebates on that pentestar.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know they redesigned it again since then. But the pentastar in the van 2015 is some noisy, rough, raspy engine by todays standards. I can always hear when she or the neighbor fire those things up. I'm not crazy about Japanese cars but the Honda and Toyota have a superior V6. Maybe the next generation Tundra will have the gas V6 and half ton buyers can rejoice. They tried to sell me a pentastar Ram just couldn't do it. Use to have a Honda ridgeline and all that downshifting all the time on level ground and that was 1500 lbs lighter. Sure you feed the Hemi some extra fuel but highway mileage is pretty darn close. Those Gladiator Rubicons are crazy money with the pentastar. For that kind of money a person should spend a bit more and get a Gladiator EcoDiesel.
You may be correct but I can say that the Pentastar in my 2018 Pacifica is smooth and quite and revs freely and quietly when it needs to. I will also quote what Wards said about the Pentastar in 2011 about the Pentastar when it won a place on its 10 Best engines list- For its amazing utility, supreme NVH and smooth power delivery, the Pentastar V-6 wins Ward's 10 Best Engines honors in its first year of eligibility..........Says Editorial Director David Zoia: “The Pentastar is the refinement champ in its class.” -

Then in 2012 it again won a place on their 10 best engines list saying-
As with any new-engine program, there were multiple priorities beyond versatility and the always-critical balance between output and efficiency. One was world-class refinement and noise, vibration and harshness characteristics.
“To be the new industry benchmark for NVH was very high on our list,” Gorgas confirms. So the team gathered NVH data (from engine-consulting company FEV), looked at all V-6s in the marketplace, narrowed them down to the top three and set out to beat them all.

In 2019 it won a place on their 10 best engines list for the year again with the e-torque variance.

It may be 'some noisy, rough, raspy engine by todays standards' to your ears but at least someone other than me think's otherwise.

All the best,

·
Registered
891 Posts
Congrats Howie. Sounds like you made a sweet deal. One quick question is what is the towing capabilities on the penstar?

·
Registered
504 Posts
We've owned a 2015 pentastar for 60k miles I'm familiar with the motor. I don't really care what magazine editors say after they drive it for 500 km. I'm talking compared to Japanese V6 engines it is noisy. I've owned a Ridgeline for 60k miles too. Good luck enjoy the new truck.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats Howie. Sounds like you made a sweet deal. One quick question is what is the towing capabilities on the penstar?
With the 3.55 rear end ratio instead of the standard 3.21 and the short box the payload is 1770# and the towing capacity is 7370#. Plenty for the normally short distances I tow anything nowadays. The things I tow somewhat often vary from 2000# to 4500# and seldom more than 50 miles one way, elevations in the 900-1800 ft range and usually not when it is very hot outside.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Pentastar was one of my engine choices back in 2018 when I first started shopping, however I couldn't find a Crew Cab with a 6.4' bed and the V6 anywhere ....
They seldom stock them here either. I did find a low trim model classic quad cab and a 2019 e-torque crew cab to drive a bit. I think too many people think of the older V-6s and the 3 or 4 spd torqueflyte transmissions. Modern engines and the 8 spd transmission make it quite different in my opinion.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Test drove two different 1500 Outdoorsman Rams back in 2013. liked them both. Test runs we took were quite satisfying. It was the towing ability that kind of got me and then I heard of an upcoming thing called Ecodiesel. Waited a couple months until they took my order. It left me with good memories last month.

Friend bought a 2019 Chrysler van the very same day and dealer I picked up my Cummins. He gets 30+ mpg and is shocked at how much power it has in that van. Flat out elated with the power and operation.

If I did not tow longer distances and up mountains, I would have one. Think it's the best of the gassers available today.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The Pentastar is considered a low maintenance and reliable engine, which is refreshing considering the issues that many Ecodiesel owners have experienced. I would love an Ecodiesel Wrangler and/or Gladiator, but they better turnout to be as reliable as the Pentastar before I pull the trigger. I think you made a good choice. By the way, I love the LONGHORN!

·
Registered
766 Posts
HOWIE, been a month. Hope all is going to be well with yer new ride...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts