RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Howie, I would likely favor the Pentastar myself, given the poor reliability or our Ecodiesels and the fuel consumption of the Hemi. I may do the same with the Rebel. Best of luck and I look forward to your continued posts.
I like the Pentastar myself as long as you are ok with its sub 7000lb tow rating.I'm sure many people tow much more than its rated for.
Saw that number when I looked up the Vin on the Ram site for what aI thought was the perfectly specc'd truck. I'd just missed the Pentastar listing.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I like the Pentastar myself as long as you are ok with its sub 7000lb tow rating.I'm sure many people tow much more than its rated for.
Saw that number when I looked up the Vin on the Ram site for what aI thought was the perfectly specc'd truck. I'd just missed the Pentastar listing.
Just to post up the actual rating from the Ram website for all 4x4 crew cab models with 5'7" box max towing is 7370lbs for 3.55 rearend ratio and for 3.21 it is 6370 lbs and payload for both is 1770 lbs. AS far as overload, it is fair to note that the Pentastar does have a lower capacity transmission than the others. I am sure short and sensible tows at a bit of a higher load is not going to break things, but it lighter than the hemi or ecodiesel.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Picked up the new truck late this afternoon and drove it home, about 55 miles. A few observations

1-Engine sound of the Pentastar is louder than the Ecodiesel in my 2014 but quieter than a hemi. All in all seems OK

2-Transmission shifts less and holds gears better than the 2014 Ecodiesel post AEM

3-Start stop with e-torqu is much more seamless than the start stop on my Pacifica which uses a traditional starter to restartthe engine.

4-My truck has the 3.55 rearend. RPMs in 8th gear at 55 are about 1400 and in 7th about 1700. It does some shifting between 8th and 7th on the highway at 55 but it is relatively unobtrusive and not frequent. I expect at 60 or 65 it would do much less.

5-Mileage on the electronic gizmo said 20.8 for whatever that is worth, not much I know.

6-The LED lights on the Longhorn are fantastic.

7-The 12" screen is a lot of display.

8-I ordered the OWL tires, which are a no cost option, which gives you bridgestone duelers instead of Goodyear SRAs.I have the new version Blizzaks already on wheels and will get them installed shortly but would like to get a tank or two of gas on the current tires just to capture the new mileage info. I'll keep manual track of the fuel mileage for a year or so to see what it looks like.

9-Put the battery charger on the starting battery when I got home and it seemed less than half charged.

10-air suspension now goes into aero mode at 55 and you can also put it there manually.

11-Rear view camera is a big improvment over my 2014 and it had a replacement camera fromMopar that was better than the original one.

12-Flat rear floor with seats up in this model results in the dog being 6 or so inches lower when laying on her bed back there compared to the 2014 with the fold out platform.

13-Multifunction tailgate works nice and will be easier for some chores.

14-Ram box lids seem durable and fit very nicely.

After a bit of perusing of the owners manual I noticed a few things.

the new diesel only has a 8.5 qt sump but the change interval is still nominally 10,000 miles

the DEF tank is only 5.36 gallons but still calls for refilling at each oil change

the e-torque motor/generator is cooled with its own antifreeze system.

Cabin air filtration seems standard, at least on the LOnghorn.

I saw no mention of the 33 gallon tank with the diesel engine. Only the gas engine.

Rambox seems only to be available on 5'7" boxes in the 1500

Anyhow, that is it for my first few impressions.

·
Administrator
8,426 Posts
OK, I cannot figure out how to edit a post in the new system. Obviously the following sentence in the post above makes no sense-
Our sales tax is 5.5% so a $19,500 tradein which the sales tax paid on the new purchase by $1072 so I need to sell it outright for 20,572 just to break even.

It should say

Our sales tax is 5.5% so a $19,500 tradein reduces sales tax paid on the new purchase by $1072 so I need to sell it outright for 20,572 just to break even.
We just received an answer from the higher-ups.

"Currently the editing window is 24 hours for users. We're developing something for them not to provide extended/ alternative editing options; however I have heard no ETA on this."

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
A few more observations after spending some time with my new truck in the garage.

1-No crappy black tape on the B pillars like the old one but a decent looking shiny black plastic or something else there.

2-No plastic inserts on the 20 inch standard Longhorn wheels. With my maroon kind of color there is some gray paint on parts of them but anyhow look good. That said after 5.5 years with the old truck the gold colored plastic inserts looked the same as they did when new. Its an emotional thing I guess.

3-Seat leather seems to be a bit different and likely lower quality than the original 2014 Longhorn which had the nice oiled style saddle leather.

4-The retraxcable running boards are neat but I wonder how they will survive winter weather in the northland. Time will tell.

5-A minor item but the old truck came with a decent looking simulated leather folio for the insertion of the manual and other paperwork. The new one came with a flimsy thing that looks like it came from lululemon and might have something to do with yoga.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Truck is in the garage and I haven't driven it since I brought it home. Have raised temp in garage to 55 deg for it to thaw off and evaporate all the drippings since I need to crawl around on the floor to mount the mudflaps I bought. They are beauties with a licensed RAM and Longhorn stainless plate on them but they require two holes to be drilled and even with a cutoff drill and my 90 degree drill I cannot get it drilled without taking the wheels off. Debating whether to do that or mount them with four of the bolts and get the holes drilled when the snows are put on which I have moved up to Monday morning since we are having snowmageddon here and it is quite slippery everywhere. I guess since wheels were put on at the factory they have probably been properly torqued so should come off OK.

ANyhow, I'll go back out in the garage and snap a few pics and put them up later tonight.

A couple other observations on this truck compared to the 2014

steering wheel rim is a smaller diameter

no antitheft nut/stud on the wheels. All are regular hex heads. I guess they think the thieves don't have sufficient stamina or time to get that damned unnecessary 6th nut/stud off.

PEntastar as a single right side exhaust.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
a few observations after 735 miles

It now has 735 miles on it and the mileage I have gotten in 708 of those miles calculates at 19.95 mpg. This includes an inordinate amount of idling for me as I was setting up the various screens. Most of my driving is rural highways at 55-60 mph. I have the 3.55 rear end ratio. The transmission has begun to learn my driving and it shifts much more appropriately now. My truck is a 4x4 with the 5'7" Rambox and has had Blizzak snows on all 4 wheels. I was hoping to get a couple tanks with the summer tires, but truck came too late and significant snow too soon. We'll see how it does over time. For the same kind of winter driving I got 23-24 regularly with my 2014 Longhorn and that was a 6'4" box but not a Rambox and had the 3.55 rear end also. Gas here now is about 2.40 per gallon and diesel is 3.15. Using 20 mpg for the gas truck and 24 for the diesel truck the fuel cost per mile for the diesel at today's prices is 1.1 cents more per mile than the gas. Call fuel costs about the same so far. The spread between gas and diesel usually goes down in the summer too and my Ecodiesel summer mileage was 27-28 with my normal driving.

The cruise control also works much better and allows the speed to gain and fall 2-3 mph before taking drastic downshift action. I do have the adaptive cruise but the function of the speed maintenance is the same regardless of which mode I choose.

I also have air suspension and it works better than the 2014. It is quieter and quicker to raise and lower and can be put into aero mode manually it also rides much nicer than the 2014 in both aero and normal mode.

I have the new split tailgate and so far it seems like a good idea to me, especially since the raised the height of the box sides which I am not a fan of.

Not a big fan of the giant 12" screen yet. However still earning how to use it but one quick thing I cannot do on the new one is get a gps speed. I need to spend some time with the book and see what I can fiqure out.

The truck has a shark fin antenna for everything as does my 2018 Pacifica. This truck gets much better AM and FM reception than the 2014 with a traditional antenna and better than the Pacifica.

The start stop is very smooth and virtually seamless. Much better than the start/stop on the Pacifica which uses the traditional starter to to restart the engine.

So far I am generally happy with the truck and the engine. Early in January I will take a 300 mile round trip with an 18" long tandem trailer weighing about 1800lbs empty and about 6800 lbs loaded when I return. Portions of the route are quite hilly and the unloaded leg has a overall drop of about 900 ft of elevation which I will have to tow up when it is loaded.It will be interesting to see how that goes. I will post again after that trip.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Early in January I will take a 300 mile round trip with an 18" long tandem trailer weighing about 1800lbs empty and about 6800 lbs loaded when I return. Portions of the route are quite hilly and the unloaded leg has a overall drop of about 900 ft of elevation which I will have to tow up when it is loaded.It will be interesting to see how that goes. I will post again after that trip.
I will be interested in hearing your towing experience with the Pentastar.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Certainly interested in your towing experience and terrain you are towing.
Be interesting to see the door jamb sticker with all the weights listed.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Certainly interested in your towing experience and terrain you are towing.
Be interesting to see the door jamb sticker with all the weights listed.
I'll get a picture for you but the Mopar website shows the following for my specific VIN

Max Payload
1810 lb (821.0 kg)
Max Towing
7410 lb (3361.12 kg)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
WE had some semi cold weather the other day with the outside temp at minus 7 F. The new truck was in the garage as was the Ecodiesel the last 3 years and the garage is about 32 degrees F. I started the truck and went 7 miles to town at about 45-50 mph after the first mile which is about 20 -30 mph. After the first mile the engine coolant temp was above 100 deg F and the heater fan came on. Wasn't really blowing warm but if defrost was necessary it would have done some defrosting. After about another mile coolant temp was up to 130 and cabin was starting to warm up. When I got to town the coolant temp was at its 195 running temp under low load in the winter and the cabin was warm and the fan speed had slowed down considerable. No winter front on the Pentastar but always in the winter on the Ecodiesel.

With the ecodiesel I would just be starting to get heat when I reached town and it would be 20 or so miles before the coolant temp was up to normal and even after 20 miles the fan was going full speed and the cabin was still quite cool.

Quite a difference on the heat available for the cabin with the Pentastar compared to the Ecodiesel. In addition to less coolant, lube oil and transmission fluid to heat up the reality is the PEntastar is less efficient so there is more waste heat too but I was still surprised how big a difference there is.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
here is
Howie, have you had a chance to do any towing yet?
my thread on towing

41 - 59 of 59 Posts