RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Ordered" a ED, but will be my first diesel so here are my noob questions/concerns...

In another thread there was a question about short trips and impact on engine, something to do with "regen"? I vaguely recall hearing that short trips are "diesel killers" but now that I've decided to make the plunge, I'd like to understand what the real truth is... So in layman terms is anyone able to explain what the concern is and what it means to 'recharge' or whatever the term is, meaning running at highway speeds for 15-20 minutes? I hope this is making some sense, I don't know the right terms so maybe you diesel gurus can correct/educate me. :)

Also, I had a '11 Tundra Crew 4x4 Platinum Ed. that I sold this summer. 90% of what I do is just normal driver with some towing, but I got tired of 12mpg around town... that said, moving to the 1500 ED (4x4 5'7" bed BigHorn w/3.92 rear, tow package). I plan to purchase a travel trailer that will likely be in the 5K range, which sure seems to be well under any published towing capability of the ED.

Not being able to drive an ED yet I have to rely on forums and various reviews, so I'll ask here - for those who have had their ED now, are you satisfied with its performance as a day to day driver? I'm a little concerned about its acceleration and passing capability. I am aware it is a 7K vehicle and it's not going to be 'fast', but one thing I can't knock that Tundra on was it had gobs of power when that peddle hit the floor... is the trade off in MPG and towing too much of a price for the 90% of the time it is just hauling me around? I told myself that I'd never buy a 'full size' truck again unless it was diesel, I'm hoping the ED hits the spot.

Ok ramble over, thanks all.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Re. weight. I think your truck will be under 6k lbs.

Re. recharge. Thats a cycle that burns out seut, or something like that. Every once and now the engine will dump in extra fuel to burn the stuff out of the particulate filter in the exhaust pipe. The forum has rec'd some recent updates from owners that pretty much put to bed the concerns that there would be a conflict between the engine's need to burn this stuff off, and 20min runs around town.

Found one http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/507-regeneration-story-picture.html

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Buddy i have 355'S and mine is a rocket....you are getting the 392 you will be very happy with acceleration. The truck is smooth and dead quiet and hauls ass i was very very surprised how fast the truck is, it just pulls and pulls as it cycles through the gears you will be very happy....granted i only have 110km on mine so far but i am very impressed

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Unless you are towing closer to the limit or in really hilly country the 392's are way overkill with this motor.... anyone who hasn't ordered should consider this.....

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'm a typical family user, towing a boat to the cottage, daily driver and with 355's so far I am averaging 31.8MPG then this morning I put on my bak flip VP and the ride home was registering 34.7!! (all hwy 120km/h) wow!! (with "areo" mode enabled)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you for the replies.... the difference in the 3.92 in price is essentially 0 and figure down the line the resell advantage of having it outweighs the barely minimal mpg difference. maybe i'm wrong but that's my rational :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm a typical family user, towing a boat to the cottage, daily driver and with 355's so far I am averaging 31.8MPG then this morning I put on my bak flip VP and the ride home was registering 34.7!! (all hwy 120km/h) wow!! (with "areo" mode enabled)
Any chance you could set up an account on Fuelly.com to track your mileage? They give tons on info for both the user and people researching vehicles. There are apps for smartphones that make it easy to enter the info at the pump.

·
Registered
32 Posts

31.8mpg? ..........must be all downhill.

Done a little over 250 miles on mine now with 20.5 mpg avg town driving and hilly. I consider that excellent after the 2011 Hemi got me no more that 12 mpg for the same type of driving.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I just got rid on my 2003 hemi which my average was 14.3mpg.... I dunno those are my honest mpg's steady acceleration. and cruize set at 120km/h... don't know what else to say.... it's a brand new motor I was very surprised myself. I live in oakville and this is all qew highway (flat) don't know if that matters, I'm one happy customer though (except for that damn stinking burning new truck smell) crew 4x4 short box...I added cetane boost to the first tank to counteract what I figured was probably old deisel from the factory, but I doubt that would have made a difference much

Reactions: schmitt

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Any as far as fuelly goes I'll look into it for sure in the future

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow that MPG is insane! I was thinking any tonneau cover would clean up the aerodynamics and cancel out any bad wind coming over the top of the cab and creating drag due to the tailgate. It would be interesting to just drop the tail gate to see if that help with MPG for those with no tonneau cover.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There have been more than a few analyses of truck aerodynamics. A couple of the ones worth noting is the well-cited "busting" of the tailgate down theory by the Mythbusters team Driving With Tailgate Up Is Fuel Efficient : Discovery Channel and Consumer Reports' review of the same question: Pickup Truck Tailgates | Fuel Economy - Consumer Reports News.

These reports suggest that the aerodynamics engineered into our truck are about as good as they're likely to get. Folding the tailgate down is definitely a bad choice. I'll add (personal opinion) that removing the tailgate entirely is probably better (saves weight), but probably does not improve aero. Tonneau covers are much harder to test, as the type of cover will have a big affect on aero impact. Soft covers should be worse than hard covers (subject to deforming from the lift in the low-pressure zone behind the cab, leading to increased turbulence and increased drag), but I'm not aware of any actual comparison of hard vs soft tonneau. Consumer Reports claimed that their soft cover reduced fuel efficiency by over 4% (from 22.3 to 21.4 MPG). In fact, adding the cover was even worse than opening the tailgate!

Complicating the discussion is an older set of wind-tunnel tests: Sema.Org

These tests, with previous generation trucks and older aerodynamics, show categorically that hard (folding) tonneau covers improve aerodynamics (between 5 and 7%) compared to a truck with no cover at all, and that the improvement is fairly consistent from speeds between 45 and 85 MPH. The tests also confirm that folding the tailgate down does not improve aero. Note that fiberglass covers generally perform better than vinyl covers in these tests, leading some credence to the intuition that harder covers create less drag.

Reconciling the later Consumer Reports analysis and the (contradictory) earlier wind-tunnel analysis is difficult. A couple of factors could be (1) newer trucks have better areodynamics, and the tonneau is just not as useful today as it was 6-7 years ago, and (2) soft covers are substantially worse for aero than hard covers. I find both of these possibilities to be extremely credible, but they're just guesses.

Bottom line, don't get a toneau cover hoping to improve your fuel mileage. Get a cover because you want/need a cover. And leave your tailgate closed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Depends on your expectations, if it is enough motor. I pull a #5000 boat and trailer on my weekend fishing trips. Majority of my travel with the boat is hilly interstate travel with a couple moderate mountains to cross over. Once I set the cruise, it'll maintain the speed limit. Even took a trip out to Deep Creek Lake off I-68 in Maryland, There is a couple serious hills to climb out there and it did just fine. It will do everything my 5,4L Ford F-150 would do. The only big difference between the 2 trucks is the ED get's around 18-20mpg with the boat on. My Ford 5.4L would be around 10 to13mpg on the same trips. I have no regrets getting the ED.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Your only a NOOB if you don't ask the question. You may not always get a good answer but more often than not there is some pretty good info to be had here. Keep on asking!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Chris, do you lower your suspension to achieve such great fuel economy? I have the standard suspension and have seen 28 MPG tops.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Aren't Canadian gallons bigger than American gallons? If so it would make sense that you are getting more mpg than others are seeing on average.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts