RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I talked to a local dealer a few months back about my interest in an Ecodiesel. There was the usual "We can totally do whatever it is you want because we want your money" attitude, then upon inquiring about trying to find an EcoD they realized it's not so easy to come by. I left the dealer with my requirements if they were going to order me one, then didn't think much of it. Four weeks goes by with no word from the dealership and I start to assume it isn't going to be happening any time soon plus I also am moving out of state in September so I gave them a drop dead date of 1 July. Out of nowhere, the salesman sends me a text (my preference, I can't talk on the phone during the work day very much) and says my truck has been ordered, expect to start getting emails from Ram soon with build information (never heard word one from them by the way). I put down exactly $0 deposit so I was pretty surprised. A few days prior I found out I was selected for promotion in the summer of next year. Having kind of given up on the Ram, I had decided to celebrate with a bad ass Ducati Multistrada. I am friends with a Duc dealer in Atlanta and he got me a hell of a deal that I would never see again so I went for it. Now, the dealership supposedly has the invoice for the truck they ordered for me with no deposit. Last week I got another text saying the dealership got the invoice for the truck, but again, I still to this day I have no visibility on any of it.

I still would love this truck, but I also now have some extra debt so if I'm going to be trading up, it will have to be for the right price plus I don't know if it's actually coming or not, I just keep hearing the salesman saying it's on it's way (check's in the mail right?). The only number the dealer has told me is an MSRP of about $46k. I've done some research and it looks like invoice is a lot closer to 40-42k. My trade would be a 2012 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 SR5 with 30k miles. Other than a small dent in the tailgate, the truck is in great shape all around. Any tips on how to negotiate the best possible price? I'm prepared to put about 5-7k down and have found the ROUGH trade in for my truck to be 20k (I own it). If they try to stonewall me on price, they are going to have a very nice Ram Outdoorsman Ecodiesel 4x4 with the Rambox option sitting on their lot while I tote my motorcycles across the country with my paid for Tacoma.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't think you should really worry about taking the truck if you cannot come to an agreement on price with a trade. Your dealer sounds like a place that wants to service its customers by trying to get you the truck you want without a formal agreement. Take all the information on this forum and formulate three ranges: best possible deal, average deal, not sure I'd take that deal, figuring in your incentives. (Call Chrysler to find out what you qualify for, before you start your negotiations.) Remember to figure in your taxes and tag transfer fees for your state. It's all a bunch of funny numbers on paper where the only thing that really matters is the OTD bottom line. They may show your trade value as $10K, but discount the new truck (for example) the same amount, so it's really a wash. Best of luck!

Reactions: StraydogEOMFD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Far more important than any of that is that you haul yourself to the Off Topic forum with pics of that Duc... ;)
HA! Noted! I finally found the closest thing to twisty roads here in FL and am heading that way on Saturday, if I snap some pics I'll post them up. This bike is insane. More comfortable than a cruiser, weighs 500 lbs wet, on the fly adjustable fuel map and suspension settings and up to 150 HP in sport mode using the same motor that's in the Panigale. Definitel hanging on to this one for a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts