RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Any orders yet? I have never ordered a new car/truck. Some of you have put down deposits. How does that work? Did you settle on a deal/price already or do you deal after it is delivered? My fleet/internet sales guys says they can only go $500 off of retail. Rebates?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is a $1500 RAM Truck Incentive going on and that will apply to the Diesel (and all Ram Trucks). So I would expect you all to be getting at least $1500 off MSRP. I "configured" one tonight on Ramtrucks.com with the diesel that I want and it was $38,455, i expect to get that $1500 off that and I will give the dealer my order in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Finally got to drive one of these trucks. Our incentives are much bigger in canada but that is because the trucks are $10 000 more up here. We end up at the same price in the end. Anyways the truck was what I expected. Same truck with different engine. If I didn't need a fuel efficient engine that can go a million kms I would go with the hemi. The rep actually started off talking about things he has seen on forums. He wanted to make it clear the this is a light duty engine. It's not a hemi and it's not a 6.7 diesel. It is ment to pull small trailers and small fishing boats. The model we drove was rated at 7200lbs. The rep said the real number is around 5000lbs. The reason is because most people will fill the truck with people and will fill the bed up. He said there are a lot of people that need a hemi or 2500 but are thinking this ecodiesel 1500 will do the job. Not the case. I know people here will contest that but that is from the guy showing and selling these trucks. Does not matter to me because I will not tow much and it will work great for me. So back to the truck. Very nice to drive. They had a hemi to compare the ecodiesel to and both trucks drove the same except the diesel pushed in the corners a bit more. More weight in the front so expected. Acceleration from a stop was no contest. The hemi is a rocket. The diesel has a very small amount of turbo lag then pulls well but not like the hemi. Passing on the highways was no problem at all. In the end I like the truck and engine. I don't think it blew me away but honestly it's the same 2014 ram that is sitting on the lots right now with a different engine. Also the rep said that we should be able to put orders in starting early dec up here in canada and US orders will start late dec. He was not sure why the different order dates. Just said they are staggered and Canadian orders are first. Delivery will be late january and into February. I think this engine does fill the hole between the 6 and 8 gassers. The premium to get the engine and higher diesel prices are going to keep these things from flying off the lots but I think they will sell.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience Fireboy. It is good to see these RAM guys driving home the point its a light duty truck. The largest/heaviest load I'd carry is bikes and new furniture :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
...He wanted to make it clear the this is a light duty engine. It's not a hemi and it's not a 6.7 diesel....
The EcoDiesel is every bit as strong as the Hemi. It weighs more and produces more torque at half the rpm. Most model configurations of the EcoDiesel can easily tow 7000 lbs of bikes and furniture or whatever. The Hemi can tow a little more because it weighs less. Of course some people will want to tow giant loads and they should get a 2500 or greater model, but the EcoDiesel is a great choice for lesser needs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The ecodiesel will be great. My dealer called me today to come in and talk. He informed that the latest he has heard here in canada is that the incentives will be a lot less on ecodiesels and the price could be $7500 over hemi. Also said that 2014 Q2 is now the delivery target. Info keeps changing so not sure what to believe. Anyways before I knew what happened I bought a 1500 slt quad 4x4 loaded with the pentastar 3.6. Can't wait for the diesel and truly can't afford it with the above info. Msrp was $50 000 and I got them down to $32 000. Happy with that for a loaded truck and most fuel efficient none turbo on the market. Good luck to all here.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That's were I'm at with this thing too. Let us know what you think of the 3.6. I am thinking that I cant wait either and the deals are there for the 3.6 and 5.7. I am wondering if I could do with the 3.6 for the mileage. I do tow about once a month (6000lbs?) maybe 300 miles. The rest of the time it's much lighter loads. I just don't want to feed the Hemi if I don't have to...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think it is along the same lines as diesel. Not a problem to tow near its max every once in a while. FYI. The pentastar was faster then diesel with no load. Diesel has advantage with a load. I did as much research on the pentastar and it will work for me. Regardless of the engine the 8 speed tranny is unreal. If u r driving in the city it will stay in 6th gear. I hate it when a tranny always shifts into the high gear in the city and has to shift as soon as u hit the gas. It stays in what ever gear it needs for speed u r going. I will let u know how it tows. Pick it up next wed. Should never buy a truck before going on vacation. At least I pick it up the day I get home.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The ecodiesel will be great. My dealer called me today to come in and talk. He informed that the latest he has heard here in canada is that the incentives will be a lot less on ecodiesels and the price could be $7500 over hemi. Also said that 2014 Q2 is now the delivery target. Info keeps changing so not sure what to believe. Anyways before I knew what happened I bought a 1500 slt quad 4x4 loaded with the pentastar 3.6. Can't wait for the diesel and truly can't afford it with the above info. Msrp was $50 000 and I got them down to $32 000. Happy with that for a loaded truck and most fuel efficient none turbo on the market. Good luck to all here.
Sorry to see you go but can't say I'm surprised. With the year rapidly drawing to a close and Ram not talking, many potential customers are tired of waiting. All the best to you.

I am in no hurry and will wait to see what happens. It is somewhat amazing that we still have an auto industry, so I give them some slack. I just wish that Ram and the others were better at communicating and with honest marketing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
. It's not a hemi and it's not a 6.7 diesel. It is ment to pull small trailers and small fishing boats. The model we drove was rated at 7200lbs. The rep said the real number is around 5000lbs. The reason is because most people will fill the truck with people and will fill the bed up. He said there are a lot of people that need a hemi or 2500 but are thinking this ecodiesel 1500 will do the job. Not the case.

Please post his name and the dealer name. Dodge corporate should know about the misinformation being put out by dodge employees ... Bad for business.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got this string of emails going with a dealership in South Florida.. according to this they start taking orders in December:

Good-afternoon Nigel,

I checked with my manager and the earliest date to discuss pricing and place your order is December 2nd.

Regards,
Freddie

Hello Freddie,
Thank you for the update. Is it possible to discuss pricing and get that part squared away ahead of time or do we need to wait until December for pricing?

Subject: North Broward Chrysler Jeep Dodge & Subaru

Hello Nigel,

I hope everything is well. I wanted to touch base with you and inform you that the order for your 1500 can be placed in early December. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Freddie

·
Registered
279 Posts
fireboy thanks for the perspective on the drive. Hate to say it, but as much as I been looking forward to the 3.0 for the last year, I am having second thoughts now.... it can tow, but not that often, it's rated at 7200 pounds, but can only pull 5000 regularly.... the cost of the diesel I recall is a $2800 dollar premium over the hemi.... fuel cost is close, because diesel is so high, except when you are towing - I don't know... .almost wish Ram would have gone with the 5.0 V8 cummins -
Can read all the specs, and reviews.... Fireboy did the most important test of all.... the drive test..... I will be driving a Cherokee soon, and not that the Cherokee is identical to the Ram, but it should be close enough to let me know if I want one or not...... if not I may actually look at the hemi.....

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
fireboy thanks for the perspective on the drive. Hate to say it, but as much as I been looking forward to the 3.0 for the last year, I am having second thoughts now.... it can tow, but not that often, it's rated at 7200 pounds, but can only pull 5000 regularly.... the cost of the diesel I recall is a $2800 dollar premium over the hemi.... fuel cost is close, because diesel is so high, except when you are towing - I don't know... .almost wish Ram would have gone with the 5.0 V8 cummins -
Can read all the specs, and reviews.... Fireboy did the most important test of all.... the drive test..... I will be driving a Cherokee soon, and not that the Cherokee is identical to the Ram, but it should be close enough to let me know if I want one or not...... if not I may actually look at the hemi.....
A 5.0L diesel would be even heavier than the 3.0L which would reduce payload further and degrade fuel economy, not a good match to a 1500. The 1500 is a light-duty, versatile and reasonably economical truck for which the 3.0L is a great fit, but it can't do everything.

Why do you say the 1500 "can only pull 5000 regularly?" If you want to tow heavy loads get the 3.92 gearing which is rated as high as 9200 lbs depending on configuration. Otherwise, get a 2500 which is better suited to frequent, heavy towing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts