Registered
1,337 Posts
What an upgrade, a ford pos to the truck of the year! Lol

Reactions: Izzy

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Welcome and good luck with the truck.

Somehow I don't associate "old" with 2010. To me you had a new Ford. Must have been awful for you to want to get rid of it so soon.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What an upgrade, a ford pos to the truck of the year! Lol
lol, it really wasn't a POS... It was a very good truck actually!

Welcome and good luck with the truck.

Somehow I don't associate "old" with 2010. To me you had a new Ford. Must have been awful for you to want to get rid of it so soon.
I had some good hard miles on it. For a 2010, it had 120,000 miles on it - it just got to the point where I either needed to commit to running the truck for the next year or two - and running it into the ground (I'd have hit 150,000 miles by the end of this year easily) and the gas savings (16mpg versus mid-20's mpg) just make sense for me and how often I'm in the truck.

The truck was actually a great truck - no issues minus the clear-coating on the wheels....

I hold high standards for my new Dodge.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
TSR6

I pretty much duplicated your scenario a few months ago. I traded my 2010 FX4 for a new ED. My F150 with the 5.4 was truly a good truck, I put 170,000 on it and all I did to it was fix a $300 leak from the trans, plugs shocks & brakes once and tires 2 times, truly it was the most reliable vehicle I've owned and keep I mind I've been driving since the early 70s. Also this was my first Ford, I was pretty much a GM guy prior.

I was holding out for a 15 aluminum f150 but similar to you I did the fuel mileage math and it was too substantial to overlook. I test drove one at my dealer that had 9 to look at, liked the ride and look and bought a Bright White Laramie Crew Cab. I tow a small boat occasionally and a landscape trailer with my tractor 2x a year so tow capacity was not my priority. I sell welding stuff to tier 1 & 2 auto suppliers and having a truck makes my job a little easier and more productive, it's interesting how my customers are a quite interested in my ED and ask lots of questions about it, it's comical how brand loyal truck owners are.

Now that I've had it a for 6,000 miles and I can honestly say the only thing I DON'T like (besides the dealers service dept) is the dial shifter I think it's goofy and not well thought out. I would prefer a traditional console or column shifter and to have the 4x4 selector be a large easy to see and use rotary knob (similar to my 03 2500 Cummins Dodge). The ride is very similar both trucks ride great also the fit and finish seems on par with the Ford. Things I like better on the Ram are the cooled seats, u-connect, nav, cruise control is MUCH better, back seat courtesy lights, the way the rear seats fold up and allows a full flat surface for boxes and coolers, rain sense wipers, plus storage (Ram put cubbies everywhere possible). Also, most importantly this truck truly gets me the mileage promised I hand calculate each tank and try to fill from the same pump, so far nothing lower than 25 mpg, my best is 27.65 and worst was 25.10, my 5.4 averaged 15 mpg for the miles I drive the fuel $$ savings is substantial.

Great truck and I hope it holds up as well as the FX4 did and doesn't rust out a quickly as my 03 2500, I got rid of that one at 270,000 and the motor was perfect but the body was quickly becoming a rusty mess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you don't mind, Can I ask what you got for the F150 or how much it cost you total to get into the ram. I've got the same truck and looking to get a Laramie as well. Great looking truck congrats!

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Enjoyed your opinions on the Fords. Thought they were based on the realities my friends have with theirs.

Never happy with having to replace shocks and brakes so soon. That's one of the Ford realities that seems to be commonplace. When I got rid of my 2500 Cummins it still had original brakes and shocks at about 214K. That's common. Hope you find it close with the new Ram 1500. The motor is the bonus.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TSR6

I pretty much duplicated your scenario a few months ago. I traded my 2010 FX4 for a new ED. My F150 with the 5.4 was truly a good truck, I put 170,000 on it and all I did to it was fix a $300 leak from the trans, plugs shocks & brakes once and tires 2 times, truly it was the most reliable vehicle I've owned and keep I mind I've been driving since the early 70s. Also this was my first Ford, I was pretty much a GM guy prior.

I was holding out for a 15 aluminum f150 but similar to you I did the fuel mileage math and it was too substantial to overlook. I test drove one at my dealer that had 9 to look at, liked the ride and look and bought a Bright White Laramie Crew Cab. I tow a small boat occasionally and a landscape trailer with my tractor 2x a year so tow capacity was not my priority. I sell welding stuff to tier 1 & 2 auto suppliers and having a truck makes my job a little easier and more productive, it's interesting how my customers are a quite interested in my ED and ask lots of questions about it, it's comical how brand loyal truck owners are.

Now that I've had it a for 6,000 miles and I can honestly say the only thing I DON'T like (besides the dealers service dept) is the dial shifter I think it's goofy and not well thought out. I would prefer a traditional console or column shifter and to have the 4x4 selector be a large easy to see and use rotary knob (similar to my 03 2500 Cummins Dodge). The ride is very similar both trucks ride great also the fit and finish seems on par with the Ford. Things I like better on the Ram are the cooled seats, u-connect, nav, cruise control is MUCH better, back seat courtesy lights, the way the rear seats fold up and allows a full flat surface for boxes and coolers, rain sense wipers, plus storage (Ram put cubbies everywhere possible). Also, most importantly this truck truly gets me the mileage promised I hand calculate each tank and try to fill from the same pump, so far nothing lower than 25 mpg, my best is 27.65 and worst was 25.10, my 5.4 averaged 15 mpg for the miles I drive the fuel $$ savings is substantial.

Great truck and I hope it holds up as well as the FX4 did and doesn't rust out a quickly as my 03 2500, I got rid of that one at 270,000 and the motor was perfect but the body was quickly becoming a rusty mess.
My F150 was a great truck. The lucky SOB that gets it next will have new plugs (changed at 110,000 miles) and new brakes (changed at 95,000 miles) for a 120,000 mile truck. I only had to change brakes on it once. It had zero mechanical issues at all - I truly had a hard time getting rid of it, but for as lucky as I had been during the first 120,000miles, I was sure something was bound to happen soon...lol...

If you don't mind, Can I ask what you got for the F150 or how much it cost you total to get into the ram. I've got the same truck and looking to get a Laramie as well. Great looking truck congrats!
Duffman, I was offered a fairly low amount for it - it blue booked for $16-18 depending on how you classified it (fair or good), and they offered a little under that. That's ok though - once I had my final #'s, I asked for another $500 off, and a Truxedo Tonneau cover to be included with my Ram at no cost. It took about an hour for them to get back to me - but it was even installed by the time I got there that night. :)

Enjoyed your opinions on the Fords. Thought they were based on the realities my friends have with theirs.

Never happy with having to replace shocks and brakes so soon. That's one of the Ford realities that seems to be commonplace. When I got rid of my 2500 Cummins it still had original brakes and shocks at about 214K. That's common. Hope you find it close with the new Ram 1500. The motor is the bonus.
Capn' - I never replaced a single thing on my F150 until my brakes - which was at 95,000 miles. To get damn well near 100,000 miles on brakes is unheard of for me... I'm hard on them...

Zero other parts were changed on this truck. No shocks, nothing.... I did spark plugs a few months back (March-ish) hoping for better gas milage....but that's it. Truly zero issues with the truck..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts