RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Ecodiesel to a dealer yesterday morning for that tailgate recall. While there with the wife and waiting, I bitched at a sales manager. Seems they send out these scam mailings telling you how they NEED your 1500's in trade. Now you and I know that's a bunch of crap. I mean I paid $32,000 for mine 5 1/2 years ago. Now it has 114,000 miles on it and I also have a smashed in fender behind one rear wheel where I jackknifed my trailer and punched it out again. My repair was a disaster and it looked like crap. No way would this be worth much in a trade.

$25,000 against MSRP.

Wife and I talked. She always had the hots for more size and power. I loved the real 30 mpg I got with the Ecodiesel. She liked a bigger size than a 1500. Oh well. The deal kind of floored me and I get to keep my extra fuel tank and more.

Picked it up today. Shopped and ordered a new cap with lots of extras. Side floorboards and more will come the next few weeks. On the ride home it ran 80 mph at 2,900 rpm showing 18 mpg. Sucked but the wife is happy. Oh well. I rarely let grass grow under my feet. We shall see.

jV0+eBb6TMKsjLk88okMwA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_1558 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
Congrats!! Let us know what you think about it (ride & mileage) compared to the ED after a few weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like a sweet deal to me. Hopefully when that new big oil burner gets broken in it will get over 20mpg. Considering that's still better than my Tacoma ever got on its best day driving all highway I'd say you're doing A OK

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Good lookin ride Capt!

Never had a white one till my ecodiesel and I have like it.

Dad gets low/mid 20's out of a '18 3500 srw 4x4 with 3.42 gears if he drives 65 ish, it surprised me for what it is, its 10 times the pickup the ecodiesel is.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boy am I stupid. Thought I put this on the 2500 section. Should be moved. Sorry.

With under 100 miles on it the fuel mileage seems to hover around 17 mpg. I have not remotely tried to do much with it at all. Just got back from a dinner commitment with it. Damn thing needs a ladder for me to climb up in. Real PIA. Just ordered side boards to get in. Wife says I am old and in bad shape as she hops right in with no help. If I try to help her I get a ..."Don't touch me". If I even think about bitching about the hideous fuel mileage I see so far, she will do more than touch me and it will hurt. Gotta give it hundreds of miles and then feel the pain.

Rides fine as expected. Confusing radio and operation of these computer things. I hate them all anyhow. Some kind of lights on when you drive. Do not like that and can't turn them off, yet.

Bed lights come on when door is open. See the above. Hate it.

Have to have the door closed to even start the darn thing. No accessory position but did get instructions on how to press that damnable button and get things to turn on without the engine. WORST air conditioner in automative history. Those add-on pieces under the dash in the early 1950's work better. Flat out piss poor air conditioning and it is near always over 95 degrees here.

Not really much more pickup than the Ecodiesel. Actually a bit of a dog to me but it does cruise at 80 mph easily and seems slow. Just checked with GPS and the speedometer is spot on.

All impulse buy when I got the deal. Was looking but figured on waiting until the new Ecodiesel came out. Then that GDE comment of waiting 9 months to even tune the new one put me into the middle of next year. We wanted to be out West in May next year. I will not run an Ecodiesel without GDE and that was a real bummer to read. Holding off for a later year Cummins brought on the issue of dealing with the ZF transmission. Good as it is I flat out abhor the service issues with them. No dipstick, no filler hole or tube. Major issues getting them t the right temperature and dealing with that side hole by the DPF. I flat out did not want another ZF transmission, good as they seem to be.

Now hold on to your seats. I priced the fuel filter. Actually, fuel filters - there are TWO of them. About $150 every 15,000 miles. ???? Think the aftermarket is a major solution there but figuring that will be an issue. That one caught me by surprise.

Too late for buyers' remorse now.

·
Super Moderator
2,969 Posts
Congrats on the new ride Cap. You should have made the wife a deal she buys the fuel. :p. Hope your ED stays in the area and you get to talk to the new owner sometime. And hope she is alright with the ride once bumpy terrain is crossed on the long trip out west. Make her a deal you won’t grich about the fuel if she don’t grich about the ride. :D

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
OH NO , I remember we had RB33 here , then he got a 2500 , we don't see him anymore ,
will you keep coming on here Captain ??
or will you move to a 2500 / Cummins Forum ?
Nice Beast , I love it .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Took the Ecodiesel to a dealer yesterday morning for that tailgate recall. While there with the wife and waiting, I bitched at a sales manager. Seems they send out these scam mailings telling you how they NEED your 1500's in trade. Now you and I know that's a bunch of crap. I mean I paid $32,000 for
mine 5 1/2 years ago. Now it has 114,000 miles on it and I also have a smashed in fender behind one rear wheel where I jackknifed my trailer and punched it out again. My repair was a disaster and it looked like crap. No way would this be worth much in a trade.

$25,000 against MSRP.

Wife and I talked. She always had the hots for more size and power. I loved the real 30 mpg I got with the Ecodiesel. She liked a bigger size than a 1500. Oh well. The deal kind of floored me and I get to keep my extra fuel tank and more.

Picked it up today. Shopped and ordered a new cap with lots of extras. Side floorboards and more will come the next few weeks. On the ride home it ran 80 mph at 2,900 rpm showing 18 mpg. Sucked but the wife is happy. Oh well. I rarely let grass grow under my feet. We shall see.

jV0+eBb6TMKsjLk88okMwA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_1558 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr
Congrats!!! It’s the ending of one era, and the start of another one! Hopefully you’ll still stick with the same forum. I always appreciated your inputs here on this forum. Always entertaining. I’m a huge fan of white trucks, mine is white. After having owned two black trucks, the white one is much easier to keep clean. Enjoy that Cummins’ engine growl. Nothing else like it! I look forward to updates on your new ride!

Jed

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have always been on a Cummins forum as I had a Cummins before the Ecodiesel. There's a section here on the Cummins and I did have an Ecodiesel. If the air conditioner does not work better later on and the fuel mileage does not go above 17 mpg, I can get good value in a year going back to the new Ecodiesel. Thought about that and my wife may go along if I can get he to pay for the fuel.

Yes, DEF is in the tank. They do not have the emission issues the Ecodiesel has. Hopefully the new Ecodiesel will correct those frequent problems we see now.

No special air ride suspension or anything. I did test ride one earlier that had an MSRP over $70,000. Joke to me. This one was mid-50's and is a basic model with some extras I liked. Fancier than the Ecodiesel and a bit confusing. That button start is a joke. No accessory position but you can trick it. $300 for an extra key - joke. Step stool to get in and out - another joke. SUPER ZOOM on the rear camera for hooking up trailers. Big win to me and I am not a fanboy of technology.

Can't haul anything yet as the hitch is way bigger than 2'. Have not measured the receiver slot but there is an insert to reduce to 2". Reduce???? What the heck is it rated for? Have to get longer pins and different drop bars to somehow get it to tow.

Much to do today. Gotta go. Free time tonight. I will do impressions on the 2500 section where this post should have been if I wasn't so stupid.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Capt... That’s a pretty good game plan with the Cummins vs EcoDiesel, you now have plenty of time for any issues to get worked out with the new EcoDiesel and the Cummins has very good resale values.. Most likely You’ll be several years into ownership with the Cummins before the new EcoDiesel has its growing pains worked out ...

Myself I just hate reworking a new truck to fit my own personal needs ....aka air compressor,airbags, Fuel tank, gauges,Ect...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Although it appears you're not a fan of the doo dad's and technology you might grow to like the push button start. To run the truck in accessory or "run" as they say key on engine off its as simple as leaving your foot off the brake and pushing the button to cycle through either. Unless the new new ones changed. If that's the case I'll head back to my corner and observe while I change the oil/filter/fuel f on my wife's Eco-D WK2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 61 Posts