RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
*buys brand new truck. Immediately posts a list of complaints.
Want some more?

I call them "educational updates". Doing about 18.4 mpg. Sucking down DEF like it was good beer. Guessing it's sucking down the fuel to wash out the taste of the urea. Almost 1/4 tank of urea in 200 miles.

Darn thing is so high I had to drop down all my tow heads as low as they will go. Both are still too high. Read that those buying one and trying to tow a gooseneck trailer are smashing the sides of the bed on turns and doing the same with the tailgate hitting bumps. This thing is too high. Gonna tear off that door handle pulling myself up and break a knee jumping down getting out. Side steps will be here maybe Tuesday.

Gotta buy an thread adapter to plug the oil filter so you can turn it sideways to pull the thing out. Twin fuel filters are expensive but not so difficult. One special tool best to get to remove water sensor from the rear fuel filter/separator. Ecodiesel owners bitch about the cost of oil and filter changes. Cummins people must take out a loan if they can't do it themselves. Only good thing there is you can use cheaper T5 oil. 3 gallons.

The CP4 injector pump is a fear in the Cummins community. The CP4 injector pump is a fear in the Ecodiesel community. That is one area of commonality. S&S is soon to be marketing a by-pass system that if it goes apart, as some have done to ruin engines on the Ecodiesel, the broken parts go back to the tank and into the filters instead of the injector lines and engine. That is something to watch for as it just might be usable on the Ecodiesel to save the CP4 destruction disaster. Sometimes bad is good.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Capt... Unfortunately the def usage is here to stay, My Cummins uses about 1 gallon per 3000 miles.. It’s the EGR strategy, totally different on these new Cummins .....Less EGR gases at lower Rpms = more def usage

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Capt... Unfortunately the def usage is here to stay, My Cummins uses about 1 gallon per 3000 miles.. It’s the EGR strategy, totally different on these new Cummins .....Less EGR gases at lower Rpms = more def usage
Actually, that would be good. When I had my Ecodiesel on DEF I got about 1,200 miles per gallon of DEF. Right now I cannot do anything but guess. Too early to tell but with that 5 gallon tank and if the gauge is reasonable, fat chance. My guesstimate is I am doing maybe 400 miles per gallon of DEF.

Probably wrong but in a couple weeks I have to make a run to Georgia with just the little trailer hooked up. I will stop at a truck stop and top off the darn thing. Then that will allow me to actually figure how bad or good it actually may be.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Was there not a TSB on getting the computer reflashed to "normalize" the DEF usage on the 2019 trucks?
I heard about that on a Cummins forum. Will look into that with the VIN # for updates sometime next week. Want to sort out some other things and get parts shipped in to make things a bit more reasonable first.

This morning after church was kind of sad. The wife had been yakking at me for years about why we had to slow down on hills while pulling the toy hauler. She always wanted more power and speed to the top of each hill. She dissed the Ecodiesel for all 114,000 miles, speaking of Cummins and Duramax all the time. She never paid the fuel bills so mileage was not an issue she could relate to. Well after church today I opened the door for her, as usual, and helped her in. We both have to climb in, sometimes near sitting on the floor and pulling and pushing ourselves up. Getting out is like a jump that is scaring me about damaging my bad right knee. Anyway this morning after I got in, she looked at me and said...."This truck is not made for old people".

She is flat out hating the huge height and overall size of the 2500 4 x 4. The side steps should be here Tuesday and I can build them on. She is near done making the effort to get in and out. I agree. This thing is huge, even compared to my old Cummins. Friend told me they raised up the 2019's a full 2" more than the 2018's. I don't know. Do know this thing is huge. The thrill is gone before the steps are even here.

What is really funny is reading and seeing all the people taking the flimsy 1500's and paying to raise them up with lifts and tires. Now they spent big money to make a cracker box in the air that makes their lives more difficult. It's all nonsense to me.

I will be checking for that DEF recall.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If they raised it past where the previous year was, well..... shit. The 2017 is tall enough. I am much younger and 6'1 and it seems to be a climb. I also see you are already on cumminsforum so you are up to date with them.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
If they raised it past where the previous year was, well..... shit. The 2017 is tall enough. I am much younger and 6'1 and it seems to be a climb. I also see you are already on cumminsforum so you are up to date with them.
Been on there since 2010. Actually, they changed that forum before that. My Cummins was a 2004 that I kept for a full 10 years and 1/4 million miles. Just changed the avatar on that site a couple days ago. Before it was the old Cummins out on the Wyoming prairie hunting prairie dogs like I did with the Ecodiesel.

The Duramax I had before these was not as tall either. Reminds me of the saying..."If it's too loud, you're too old".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats on the new truck, Cap! She is a beauty! That Cummins should serve you well.

Hope you get those side steps installed asap. Even at 5'10, I had to yank myself into the cab on the 1500 or get a running start before I installed the steps. That 2500 is a tower by comparison.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Good luck with the new monster! The rocker panels are actually ABOVE your knees, wow no wonder it's hard to get into.
Hope the running boards help!

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Good luck with the new monster! The rocker panels are actually ABOVE your knees, wow no wonder it's hard to get into.
Hope the running boards help!
Working on them and hope to finish tomorrow. Measured. it was 31 solid inches from the ground to the floor on the drivers' side. Guessing the same for the passenger. After hours of solo work that should be done with a helper, I got the drivers' side brackets installed but not quite tight and leveled. Stuck a board on it to measure. The first step now will be about 18". That's as low as I can get them. Actually they are 19" right now but I think I can drop one more inch. People will have to be able to step up a foot-and-a-half to start into the truck using that running board. That's a major lowering from that 31" floor level which may be 32" as I struggled to measure.

It's too high for reasonable entry by normal people. Yet, some people actually say they like that and spend big money to build them higher.

·
Registered
133 Posts
...makes me wonder how high my running boards are on my lifted 1500. A 31" step up into a stock truck is quite a big deal. Even harder is you're actually stepping into the truck that's 31" high. With running boards or steps, not only is the step height reduced, you actually step up and kind of slide or step into the truck. I think being able to step up and then step in makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
...makes me wonder how high my running boards are on my lifted 1500. A 31" step up into a stock truck is quite a big deal. Even harder is you're actually stepping into the truck that's 31" high. With running boards or steps, not only is the step height reduced, you actually step up and kind of slide or step into the truck. I think being able to step up and then step in makes a huge difference.
I mis-read the tape. Make it 30". After this job yesterday I did a measurement. It's now just over 17" to the side step and another 12-13" from there to the floor. Spent a little time bending down (sometimes hard for me to do) and measuring the finished job yesterday. Close as I can "eye-ball" these are now the correct measurements.

5Lpr5C%QRXGZN4LLE4MfVg by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Now the stupid thing is I got out and forgot I just spent 5 hours installing these things. Jumped down like they were not there. Back of the calf on my right leg hit the thing, pushed out and put me on the ground. Hard head took a light knock just to remind to use it. At least now I can stand on the boards to wipe the windshield and clean off the roof without getting a ladder.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Mounted the vent shades. Mud flaps due in any day now. Cap about three weeks away. Cannot find a fitting bug deflector for the hood.

More changes coming.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Capt.... How’s the running boards working out? Is it enjoyable for you and your wife drive and ride in the truck Again......

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hi: Captainmal... That really is a big step up in truck. My wife couldn't make it so I'd have to go it alone!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Today is the 19 September 2019, earlier this week, I hit two dealers to research a new 2020 Eco, one dealer hit me with an ACV on my 2016 Laramie quad at 23,300, another dealer hit me at 24,700... Eco pricing is still not available, but these packages are a pain in the Haines, and getting Rabbit ear towing mirrors is almost an impossibility unless you go 3/4 ton, but, the tailgate option, MWK splitter tail gate, $1000, I'm getting that puppy... tired of busting my junk box, and reaching over a tail gate...the one dealer called his FCA DM rep in Dallas, pricing and availability looks like sometime in November, maybe... from what the conversation sounded like, EPA jerk anti diesel freaks, like the GM 3.0L oil burner, is holding up production...

41 - 60 of 61 Posts