RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you build an Outdoorsman on the RamTruck site and get to powertrain and choose the EcoDiesel, it shows 3.55 gears and when you choose 3.92 it says something wierd as though you were trying to remove 3.92 and add 3.55. But, if you have 3.6 V-6 and try to add 3.92 it tells you to choose either the Hemi or the EcoDiesel!! Yahoo!. I think the web interface is messed up. It appears that with the Outdoorsman the only gears you can have with the Hemi or ED are 3.92’s! Perfect!

Here’s a screenshot of what you get when trying to choose the 3.92 with the diesel. Notice 3.55 is chosen by default. This pops up when you click 3.92

Here's what you get when choosing the 3.92's when 3.6 v6 is the engine.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Interesting. I wonder why no 3.92s with the Pentastar? You can get a Wrangler with a Pentastar, 4.10s, and a manual OD of .84! (which is same as 7th in the ZF) They really need a 3.73 option with the EcoDiesel!! Chrysler is famous for their "gear-gate" controversies.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The Build & Price function on RamTrucks has been a mess since it was created. I think it was thrown together to have something on the site but it has never been finished. Info is inconsistent and the site crashes sometimes. It is okay for seeing what is roughly available but don't rely on it. Look at the Ram eBrochure for a better idea of what is possible in each trim level.

The 4x4 Outdoorsman appears to have 3.92 as standard for the Hemi and EcoDiesel. This axle has not been available for a while which might explain why those who ordered the Outdoorsman have been in limbo.

I drove a Ram EcoDiesel with 3.55 and it seemed great at all speeds.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Try picking 3.92 before the diesel. Still messes up but kinda works.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Build & Price function on RamTrucks has been a mess since it was created. I think it was thrown together to have something on the site but it has never been finished. Info is inconsistent and the site crashes sometimes. It is okay for seeing what is roughly available but don't rely on it. Look at the Ram eBrochure for a better idea of what is possible in each trim level.

The 4x4 Outdoorsman appears to have 3.92 as standard for the Hemi and EcoDiesel. This axle has not been available for a while which might explain why those who ordered the Outdoorsman have been in limbo.

I drove a Ram EcoDiesel with 3.55 and it seemed great at all speeds.
I'm really REALLY interested to see how they match up in a 1/4 mile. In some of applications, the 3.55 might have a faster ET due to the fact that the torque likes to push against the taller gears, but the 8-speed then further complicates things. I ordered a Canadian-spec Outdoorsman and was told that 3.92 is standard across the board, that the 3.55 is actually an option with a cost. I'm going with 4.10s in the future (once I upgrade a few things) but I'm a little curious as to how it'll all jive together once things like performance parts and lift kits come into play. How constantly will it be changing gears?

·
Registered
346 Posts
3.92s are an option on Chryslers DealerConnect ordering system. I was at the dealership today and it was there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Okay, I can't upload to the forum, but my local dealership sent me a PDF file of Ram March ordering guidelines: It lists 3.92 axle ratio is now open for orders(code DMH); that 20" wheels are required for Outdoorsman, but the order code has changed from WHF to WHN for semi-gloss black wheels; air suspension is now available for Quad Cabs with 4x4 and gas only (code SER); Rambox is now available on EcoD Longhorn Longbox (DS6R91-28K).

·
Registered
75 Posts
3.55 are std. in the CDN Outdoorsman, 3.27 in the SLT with the ED, according to the CDN build app, it is just cause for frustration! You build something nice only to go in to the dealer and be told 'not available'.

·
Registered
575 Posts
What about bench seat on the Outdoorsman? Is it going to be available?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Okay, I can't upload to the forum, but my local dealership sent me a PDF file of Ram March ordering guidelines: It lists 3.92 axle ratio is now open for orders(code DMH); that 20" wheels are required for Outdoorsman, but the order code has changed from WHF to WHN for semi-gloss black wheels; air suspension is now available for Quad Cabs with 4x4 and gas only (code SER); Rambox is now available on EcoD Longhorn Longbox (DS6R91-28K).
See also http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-purchasing/291-current-ordering-restrictions.html which is a discussion started about restrictions.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Today my EcoD Laramie w/3.92's was upgraded to D1 status with a build date of March 28th.I origionally ordered on March 1st with the 3.55's as the 3.92's weren't available and I got tired of waiting.Then on march 3rd,the 3.92/diesel option opened up,so I had my salesman change the order.I even had to email the Chrysler supply team manager to have the order changed and was assured it was possible.I later got confirmation from him via email that it was a go.Last week I called him to ask if the diesel and 17" wheel pkg. would delay a order 3 mos. as I had read in another post.He said it would but diesel and 20's were available now.I'm getting 20's so it didn't concern me anyways.I should have asked if there was a supply problem with 17's and any engine or just another strange order restriction w/diesel.I'm sure he's got his hands full and didn't want to bug him with a bunch of questions that didn't relate to my order.I could if need be though.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Today my EcoD Laramie w/3.92's was upgraded to D1 status with a build date of March 28th.I origionally ordered on March 1st with the 3.55's as the 3.92's weren't available and I got tired of waiting.Then on march 3rd,the 3.92/diesel option opened up,so I had my salesman change the order.I even had to email the Chrysler supply team manager to have the order changed and was assured it was possible.I later got confirmation from him via email that it was a go.Last week I called him to ask if the diesel and 17" wheel pkg. would delay a order 3 mos. as I had read in another post.He said it would but diesel and 20's were available now.I'm getting 20's so it didn't concern me anyways.I should have asked if there was a supply problem with 17's and any engine or just another strange order restriction w/diesel.I'm sure he's got his hands full and didn't want to bug him with a bunch of questions that didn't relate to my order.I could if need be though.
I am still stuck trying to order the truck I want. I have asked several sales people about placing the order and inserting a note in the build sheet along the lines of 'customer prefers bench seat and 17" wheels'
so the factory knows what I want when the truck gets to the build process. All the sales folks tell me once a order is placed it can not be changed. Does someone have a contact with Ram that I can use to find out what I need to tell my sales person so they understand that orders can be changed up until the build process.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sheepdog, one thing I did find out that for a few dollars more than the Outdoorsman, you can equip an SLT with all the same stuff including 20's (no flares or two tone tho). So if you have to order 20s this might be an option. This might be worth a shot, cause I don't know if you've checked but Ram 20's with tires fetch a pretty big $$ on the market, you could easily get yourself some 17's for much less than you'd sell the 20s for. I can live without an Outdoorsman, however I really don't want to give up that bench. The US model Big Horn has the premium bench standard, wonder if they are accepting orders on those with ED?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sheepdog, one thing I did find out that for a few dollars more than the Outdoorsman, you can equip an SLT with all the same stuff including 20's (no flares or two tone tho). So if you have to order 20s this might be an option. This might be worth a shot, cause I don't know if you've checked but Ram 20's with tires fetch a pretty big $$ on the market, you could easily get yourself some 17's for much less than you'd sell the 20s for. I can live without an Outdoorsman, however I really don't want to give up that bench. The US model Big Horn has the premium bench standard, wonder if they are accepting orders on those with ED?
Personally I like the two tone, lack of chrome and the fender flares. Black 20" wheels are not a deal breaker for me. They can be sold very easy. Like you, a bench seat is a must for my enjoyment and applications. Just as much as 4x4 drive.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sheepdog, what's the current status if your build? Is it the bench seat the only thing delaying your build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Bench seat and 17" wheels are not available.

I could live with 20" black wheels, but I really don't like the forced $1400.00 upgrade. But I could live with. Bench seat is the one thing that I really need.

I might look at ordering a Big Horn, but I suspect those should be arriving at dealers lots in the coming week. Not sure if that is true or not.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Bench seat and 17" wheels are not available.

I could live with 20" black wheels, but I really don't like the forced $1400.00 upgrade. But I could live with. Bench seat is the one thing that I really need.

I might look at ordering a Big Horn, but I suspect those should be arriving at dealers lots in the coming week. Not sure if that is true or not.
Just got a mail back from Chrysler.

Outdoorsman CC must have 20" wheels.
Outdoorsman QC can now be ordered with bench seat.
Outdoorsman CC bench seat will be available in May or June.
Outdooesman QC and CC can be ordered now with 3.92

No word if 17" wheels are available on QC now and if they will be available in May or June on CC.

Reactions: sledogmilionair

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think I'm going to order the black 20"s and sell them right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts