RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it looks like for now we can order a outdoorsman in the US. can we order a Big horn? and what are the differences between the two? on the ram site I tried to compare a big horn, long horn, and outdoorsman. I see that you can not order a long horn out side of Texas so that is not an option. it seems like I can equip a Big horn for right around the same money as an outdoorsman. any surprise differences?

·
Registered
366 Posts
BigHorn is basically an SLT with a model-specific appearance group that is basically all chrome. 20" chrome rims, chrome bumpers, chrome tubular side steps, chrome chrome chrome.
The Outdoorsman is a package that includes SOME appearance upgrades vs an SLT, but they are body-color and it includes what used to be called "the off-road package". Body-color grill, fender flares, painted bumper, skid plates, tow hooks, fog lights, upgraded fuel tank, limited slip diff and a class IV hitch. If you order Monotone Outdoorsman, you change to chrome everything, keep the flares(which become body-color) and no equipment changes.

Realistically, as long as you dont care about chrome sidesteps and bigger rims you get the same or more truck in an outdoorsman than a big horn for less money

·
Registered
575 Posts
it looks like for now we can order a outdoorsman in the US. can we order a Big horn? and what are the differences between the two? on the ram site I tried to compare a big horn, long horn, and outdoorsman. I see that you can not order a long horn out side of Texas so that is not an option. it seems like I can equip a Big horn for right around the same money as an outdoorsman. any surprise differences?
Who in the US can order a Outdoorsman? Specifics please!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should have read can not order an outdoorsman in the US. At least not to my knowledge.
Does anyone know if the big horn can be ordered.
I wanted an outdoorsman but also want a truck before July. I don't have to have it by then but would like to.
I don't like two tone and it looks like you can add limited slip, skid plates and switch to 17s instead of 20s. So really the only thing I would be missing out on is the fender flares? Is that correct?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I know last week, several dealers in the Seattle area where trying to get me to order a Big Horn that was built up to almost a Outdoorsman. So depending on your config, I would expect that the Big Horn is or at least was available in the US market with the 3.0 L diesel.

I would at least give it a try with one dealer in your area to find out.

I think the Big Horn has chrome, in most places where the Outdoorsman has black. I prefer the black.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Barring temporary factory restrictions, other features that distinguish the Outdoorsman from the Big Horn are part-time 4x4 (no on-demand setting), no regular cab, a shorter air dam, steering gear skid plate, and LT tires. The last three could be changed easily enough after delivery.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Umm. I would rather not have auto 4x4. I think if I get time this week I may send out some emails to local dealers just to see but I can also stand to wait another 4-6 weeks to order too.I know its only guessing or speculation but what are everyone's thoughts? Will things start opening up in 6 weeks?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Umm. I would rather not have auto 4x4. I think if I get time this week I may send out some emails to local dealers just to see but I can also stand to wait another 4-6 weeks to order too.I know its only guessing or speculation but what are everyone's thoughts? Will things start opening up in 6 weeks?
The on-demand setting is not compulsory, it just gives the option of being in 4WD in changeable conditions. Very convenient but not essential. There are also 2WD, locking 4WD and low-range 4WD settings.

I'd guess that more diesel orders will become available in early March but availability of all the configurations may not happen until April.

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A link that explains on demand and part time 4 wheel drive.

https://sites.google.com/site/awdand4wd/
There sure are a lot of different traction systems, something for everyone. The Ram 1500 Owner's Manual shows that the difference between the two systems is the additional auto mode in the higher trims which permits 4WD on dry pavement. That is valuable to me because the winter roads where I live frequently alternate between clear and icy sections. That is one reason I didn't choose the Outdoorsman.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Darn good, informative link on drive systems if you read it past the diagram.

One thing I did note was that all examples mentioned were based on foreign cars.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
There sure are a lot of different traction systems, something for everyone. The Ram 1500 Owner's Manual shows that the difference between the two systems is the additional auto mode in the higher trims which permits 4WD on dry pavement. That is valuable to me because the winter roads where I live frequently alternate between clear and icy sections. That is one reason I didn't choose the Outdoorsman.
This sounds like the 4 Full Time on my transfer case on the Jeep. It has a Transfer Case Differential. Basically give you AWD. I can also select 4 Part Time, which Locks up the front and back so that you will always have power to 2 wheels. In the Full Time, you can realistically still have power to one wheel.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
So the outdoorsman doesn't have the 4Auto? but every other trim level does?
According to the Ram brochure the 4Auto or "Electronic on-demand" transfer case comes on the Big Horn (called Lone Star in Texas), Sport and Laramie 4x4 models. The part-time or "Electronic part-time" transfer case comes on everything else. There are no options.

The on-demand case is a Borg Warner 44-44, and the part-time case is a Borg Warner 44-45. I don't know for sure but they appear to have similar designs and off-road capabilities. There are discussions in other forums about possible differences but no clear conclusions. Maybe someone here knows a mechanic who can chime in.

My own ownership experience includes part-time 4WD, on-demand 4WD, and Torsen AWD systems. They all work pretty well when you get to know them but with the Ram I prefer their on-demand system.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So the outdoorsman doesn't have the 4Auto? but every other trim level does?
Never mind found it.Tradesman, Express, and Outdoorsman do not have 4auto which allows you to drive on-road with 4wd engaged. the system on these three are only recommended for off road use in 4wd

·
Registered
575 Posts
Never mind found it.Tradesman, Express, and Outdoorsman do not have 4auto which allows you to drive on-road with 4wd engaged. the system on these three are only recommended for off road use in 4wd
Except on slippery roads where they can be used. They should not be used on dry roads of any surface.

At least that is the way I understand it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Except on slippery roads where they can be used. They should not be used on dry roads of any surface.

At least that is the way I understand it.
That's the jist of it. The dumbed down version is that the front and rear end aren't in good enough sync to work together without slippage somewhere. If it's slippage in the road surface or in the mechanical components it basically needs to be somewhere or somethin gonna break. Saw it in a jeep driven by young girls who had it in 4 Lo for an entire weekend. Most damage I ever saw without a single exterior symptom whatsoever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought the Outdoormans also came with heavy duty rear coils. If that is the case, then getting an SLT, even with the air suspension, would not have the same heavy duty coils... would that make much of a difference? I had ordered an Outdoorsman but it can't be done without the console, and we wanted the six seaters...

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Outdoorsman does come with "extra heavy duty rear shocks". It is a great package if you want a nicely equipped truck that is also a work horse. As I have pointed out before, it is the only truck beyond a basic tradesman that you can get with real truck tires (LT, 10 ply rated). The transfer case issue is often over thought. If it's slippery, you can use 4WD, and remember, limited slip diff is standard, which also helps. Just the tire issue is huge. You are driving almost 6000 lbs of truck and literally, the only contact with the road is..... your tires. The Goodyear silent armour pro tires that come standard are good tires, they are not the P rated junk that people whine about (probably with good reason) on this forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The on-demand case is a Borg Warner 44-44, and the part-time case is a Borg Warner 44-45.
I've been lurking here for over a year, but had to register to comment on this as I've been shopping for a new pickkup truck and discovered quite a bit. There are a lot of complaints about the on-demand transfer case over on DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums and the main one being that this transfer case is designed to never be truly locked while in 4WD Lock. The transfer case is operating like a limited slip rear end all the time. There appears to be a HUGE history of these transfer cases burning out as soon as someone gets stuck in the mud off road and then needs to get unstuck. The transfer case locks and unlocks so much it gets damaged.

There is a person over there that claims to be part of the design team/marketing that was instrumental in getting the Outdoorsman excluded from the Borg Warner 44-44 for this very problem starting with the 2014 or 2015 model year - I can't remember which. Here is a link to about 55 pages of transfer case drama, but it has me shopping only for an Outdoorsman now:

4x4 problem Ram 2013 8-speed - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

I used to own a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD and loved that diesel - but it had it's issues. I'm cautiously investigating the new ecodiesel now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts