RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the weekend, Ive had to make some trips into Winnipeg, to the RBC Convention Centre, all on the same tank of Fuel. My truck was packed...full of people. 2x adults, and 3x kids aged 6-12. This is our first road trip for 2015 that 4WD Auto was Not on, and 2wd was. Saturday, I filled up in Brandon, and drove 2+ hours to Winnipeg, did our stuff, then drove back home. Got home, and noticed that the fuel gauge was only at the 3/4 mark. I thought.... "Sweet".
Sunday, we get a call from family, wondering if we would meet them in Winnipeg, and got to the Convention centre for the RV show. Sure. Off to Winnipeg again. This time, I had reset one of the trip computers, reset the Milage, and off we went. Boom, 7.1L/100km, or 33.4 US MPG. I had 618KM on my ODO, and the truck still said I had 612km till empty.
Drove home. Now today, the truck says I have 412KM until empty, and I have to go to Regina...a 335km trip from my door, to the place I have to be in regina. Will I make it? I'm going to go for it, but I will bring a 20L jerry of fuel just in case. Wish me luck.

I figure, that If I make it to regina, and fill up near my destination, I should have 1200+KM (734+ Miles) on that tank of fuel. Once I fill up, I will hand calc everything, take pics of Trip A info (not touched since filled up this tank) and Trip B info (the one I reset for yesterdays trip)

Hwy Speed, 110km/h, City Speed, 65km/h-ish (Brandon to Winnipeg)
HWY Speed MB/Sk border to Regina 120km/h -ish.

So for now....this.....
mileage.jpg

Truck is packed, and...Im off. Talk to you in a few hours. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Over the weekend, Ive had to make some trips into Winnipeg, to the RBC Convention Centre, all on the same tank of Fuel. My truck was packed...full of people. 2x adults, and 3x kids aged 6-12. This is our first road trip for 2015 that 4WD Auto was Not on, and 2wd was. Saturday, I filled up in Brandon, and drove 2+ hours to Winnipeg, did our stuff, then drove back home. Got home, and noticed that the fuel gauge was only at the 3/4 mark. I thought.... "Sweet".
Sunday, we get a call from family, wondering if we would meet them in Winnipeg, and got to the Convention centre for the RV show. Sure. Off to Winnipeg again. This time, I had reset one of the trip computers, reset the Milage, and off we went. Boom, 7.1L/100km, or 33.4 US MPG. I had 618KM on my ODO, and the truck still said I had 612km till empty.
Drove home. Now today, the truck says I have 412KM until empty, and I have to go to Regina...a 335km trip from my door, to the place I have to be in regina. Will I make it? I'm going to go for it, but I will bring a 20L jerry of fuel just in case. Wish me luck.

I figure, that If I make it to regina, and fill up near my destination, I should have 1200+KM (734+ Miles) on that tank of fuel. Once I fill up, I will hand calc everything, take pics of Trip A info (not touched since filled up this tank) and Trip B info (the one I reset for yesterdays trip)

Hwy Speed, 110km/h, City Speed, 65km/h-ish (Brandon to Winnipeg)
HWY Speed MB/Sk border to Regina 120km/h -ish.

So for now....this.....
View attachment 5935

Truck is packed, and...Im off. Talk to you in a few hours. Cheers!
Good to hear !!! You have set the bar hi so I will expecting great things from mine. Just a thought but I never ever run my tank out, I hate haveing to change fuel filters on the side of the road. A person never knows what crud is in the bottem of the tank. If nothing else there is condensation to be delt with,a wise man once told me they run just as well on the top half as they on the bottem half( as my dad passed me a jerry can) lol. I am not sure how hard it is to start/bleed this system when you starve it of fuel but not anxious to find out. In the old days priming bleeding cranking could be a real pain in the arse.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Good luck, just remember that on a Dodge the bottom half is always much smaller than the top half of the fuel guage. I always figure half a tank on the gauge is about one third left. But then empty is still about an eigth or so.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yup. Lovin it!

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
You gotta be kidding - right?

For such a distance and loaded it is surreal fuel mileage. Curious what kind of road conditions and speeds you have been doing.

When you finally do a hand calculation, add that information.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
That's great mileage! I'm still at 22 mpg highway & no one knows why. Dealer did a 100 mile hand calculated test & the EVIC was only off .3 mpg...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Good luck, just remember that on a Dodge the bottom half is always much smaller than the top half of the fuel guage. I always figure half a tank on the gauge is about one third left. But then empty is still about an eigth or so.
I've found mine has been pretty darn close to accurate. At half I am usually at 250 trip and I usually push it to 500 when it's pretty close to E.

I am nowhere near 33 but maybe if all conditions were "just so".

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wow, that would be great to see 30+. I have 15k miles on my truck and get maybe 24-25 hwy with a leer shell. The best I have seen was my 1st tank from the dealer near Seattle. I got 700miles @ 29MPG(evic). Must be all downhill from Seattle to Sacramento,,,

·
Registered
339 Posts
The speeds he was traveling at were low 120 kph is the fastest he went I do a lot of city driving in the north Dallas Fort Worth area and when I'm on surface streets I get 22~24 depending how hard I drive and when I get on some of our highway tollways I get up into the 26~27 range driving with traffic not speeding but a little over the posted limit I like my mileage and am happy with this truck I don't drive it hard but I'm not feather footing it either , I've tried that a bit and the MPG's go up for sure but the other DFW drivers around me are pissed and angrily aggressively drive past me

·
Registered
450 Posts
On Friday I got back from a road trip to Ontario and Quebec from Virginia. We drove through a snowstorm on Friday, and for a while it seemed like we were going against the wind. I filled up in Watertown, NY, and I cleared a trip odometer at that time. That odometer started out reading in the 22's for MPG and gradually increased as we went south. I think for the first 150 miles or so the odometer showed about 23.5 MPG. The storm slowed us down some, and then further south we had a fairly long stretch of a speed limit of only 55 where I was driving 64. Before we hit the snowstorm I was at 70 or 71 mph. I could tell that I was getting really good mileage over the last 150 or so miles as the MPG reading on the odometer climbed more rapidly. When I got home, about 420 miles from Watertown, the odo read 27.0 MPG. I wasn't sure if that reading applied to the entire 400+ miles or just that last 200 or so as some have implied on this forum. I ran an errand in town later and then drove about 6 miles to the Shell station that I normally use. The truck had to warm up for that, and by the time I got to the gas station the odo reading was down to 26.6 MPG. I didn't really need fuel, but I filled up anyway in order to do a hand calculation. The result was 26.78 MPG. I'm more than happy with that - I had my wife and two kids, ages 9 and 7, in the truck, and a fair amount of stuff under the Tonneau cover. I think I must have been getting close to 30 mpg for the last 100-125 miles in order to bump the average up to 27 for the entire 425+ miles. I'm looking forward to warmer weather and even better numbers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A quick update, made it to the city limits, had to fill up, fuel light came on.
1195km driven
90L diesel added
7.5L/100km (31.2 US MPG)
Hand calc
120km/h mb/sk border to Regina. Will post pics when I get home tonight.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
Well I calculated to Canadian measurements and comes out to 40.5 mpg.

1195 km = 805 miles
90 liters = 19.8 (imp) gallons
805 miles / 19.8 imp gal = 40.66

I guess when Canadian ads said The new Ram is rated at 40 MPG were not far off...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have come just shy of 30 on a us gal, but damn, 31.5 I must be driving to slow, have to step it up to 120 from 100. Can't wait to get on a long run to really see how she does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts