RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a message in the center of u-connect screen when I started our ED yesterday stating that a software update had been completed.
I was slightly alarmed as I thought there was some type of request that I had to click "Yes" or "Approve" to enable.
The cruise control still comes on at 15 so I don't think the tune was over written, and the only difference I can tell from a quick scrolling through the menus is 2 new trailer tow screens in the dash menu tree.
It has the brake controller gain, and the distance driven while towing.

We were checking out of our hotel on the way back from vacation so I didn't have time to really look at the u-connect menus in the center screen.

The other thing that occurred for the first time: We hit a mileage high of 32.5 for about a 50 mile stretch, MPG traveling at 65-70 in traffic. Ambient temp was 59*, 40% humidity. The A/C was off and the mileage would have stayed high but we hit major traffic delays.

Anyone else get a software update over the weekend?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
it was a U connect update for your "radio 8.4 u connect " ,
hopefully FCA never gets to flash our ECMs over the air in such an update system....
there is at least one thread about that update ,
I have 5.1 radio , so I did not copy a link to that thread , sorry I cannot send you to it .

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
OK , if you look in this thread you might see screen images similar to what you had on screen.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. From what other members posted it was a bug fix to update GPS and NAV maps issues. No mention of the trailer tow screen being added.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So they do and can flash things "over the air". MMMMMMM.

Makes you wonder.
It would not surprised me. Once a month I get an email from FCA with the mileage, oil life, tire pressures, and other telemetry information from the truck. That tells me they can pull data from the BCM and ECM over the wireless connection. I pay the $60 per year for the wireless subscription to keep the NAV traffic updates and other features.

·
Registered
674 Posts
GM has already acknowledged that they can update some of their vehicles ECM’s over the air, I’m sure others have this capability too, only a matter of time before it becomes a reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GM has already acknowledged that they can update some of their vehicles ECM’s over the air, I’m sure others have this capability too, only a matter of time before it becomes a reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the only reason OTA updates are not being done on a larger scale is the possibility of corruption, and leaving a customer stranded if the ECM gets bricked during the process.
If it happens at the dealership they can pull/order another ECM from parts and get the customer a loaner.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Over the air engine operation updates are coming and will be common in fairly short order. Ford will be offering it as an option on some models starting next year. When 5g get's totally rolled out and vehicles have cell connections, wireless updates will be the norm & you'll probably never know when they happened. The day's of being able to aftermarket tune are rapidly coming to an end. Five to ten years from now this will be the way things are done.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
When I read stuff like this im more and more confident I will never buy another new vehicle for my personal use again!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Over the air engine operation updates are coming and will be common in fairly short order. Ford will be offering it as an option on some models starting next year. When 5g get's totally rolled out and vehicles have cell connections, wireless updates will be the norm & you'll probably never know when they happened. The day's of being able to aftermarket tune are rapidly coming to an end. Five to ten years from now this will be the way things are done.
So the manufacturer is going to foot the bill for millions of 5g connections?
I'm betting it will be the same setup as now, after the first year it's on the consumer to pay for data connectivity. It will require installing of an aftermarket (read: unlocked) ECM by the owner / shop to enable tuning, the newer model LX and Ram platforms require that now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'll consider it a bonus that my ED is a Canadian truck...although I live in Oregon...I won't be getting any updates over the air because they don't do that in Canada. I get to control getting updates as they have to be manually done by me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I took care of over the air updates by disconnection the antenna for the cellular portion of the system. I get the little red light on the rear view mirror but I can live with that. Fca does not need to know what my truck is doing.

Mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
I received a message in the center of u-connect screen when I started our ED yesterday stating that a software update had been completed.
I was slightly alarmed as I thought there was some type of request that I had to click "Yes" or "Approve" to enable.
The cruise control still comes on at 15 so I don't think the tune was over written, and the only difference I can tell from a quick scrolling through the menus is 2 new trailer tow screens in the dash menu tree.
It has the brake controller gain, and the distance driven while towing.

We were checking out of our hotel on the way back from vacation so I didn't have time to really look at the u-connect menus in the center screen.

The other thing that occurred for the first time: We hit a mileage high of 32.5 for about a 50 mile stretch, MPG traveling at 65-70 in traffic. Ambient temp was 59*, 40% humidity. The A/C was off and the mileage would have stayed high but we hit major traffic delays.

Anyone else get a software update over the weekend?
Sure glad my ‘16 Tradesman (Uconnect 5) doesn’t talk to the mothership OTA. I too would wonder if they could check on any particular content on my rig.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got a "one time use" USB stick in the mail from FCA... wonder WTF this updates??

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,863 Posts
They say corrections to the GPS NAV for the possible miss calculation of directions.
It is an update for the GPS but it is to correct for the GPS time clock rollover. Without being able to correctly interpret the GPS time clock, it will not correctly locate where your at.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought that might be what the last over the air update was for. But, as I stated before, the only difference I saw was a new menu for mileage with trailer connected in the dash.
Going to see if I can Google what the different software revisions are, compare what mine has now with what the USB flash drive wants to install.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have not received the stick, and tried downloading and installing the update, and it has been a nightmare. called support, and all they said was not to use a Sandisk stick. For whatever the reason, they won't work. I tried two other brands and they didn't work either.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts