RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to change my oil and for some reason or another I dropped the transmission fluid and went through the rest of the oil change as if I dropped my oil. I noticed I didn't put in drain plug so I thought I dropped the oil right into the oil pan. So what did I do.. I added what I thought I dropped. So again thought we were good, and started truck until I noticed oil. Stolped and and quickly learned of errors in my ways. I drined it to normal and has not started again. Took it to the dealership and they just got back to me saying I need a new engine! Does this seem right to anyone? No pop sounds or anything out of normal. I need to get documentation from dodge as I kinda went into the black when they quoted the price. I want to get a second opinion or at least see if anyone here could help me out. I feel stupid enough about this. Thanks for any help. I have a 2016 Dodge Ecodiesel with 57000 ish miles.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
When you started the truck after over-filling, where did you notice the oil?

Reactions: 3DHawkeye

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have a crank no start condition? Or it doesn’t even turn over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
So I went to change my oil and for some reason or another I dropped the transmission fluid and went through the rest of the oil change as if I dropped my oil. I noticed I didn't put in drain plug so I thought I dropped the oil right into the oil pan. So what did I do.. I added what I thought I dropped. So again thought we were good, and started truck until I noticed oil. Stolped and and quickly learned of errors in my ways. I drined it to normal and has not started again. Took it to the dealership and they just got back to me saying I need a new engine! Does this seem right to anyone? No pop sounds or anything out of normal. I need to get documentation from dodge as I kinda went into the black when they quoted the price. I want to get a second opinion or at least see if anyone here could help me out. I feel stupid enough about this. Thanks for any help. I have a 2016 Dodge Ecodiesel with 57000 ish miles.
This is why you shouldn't drink heavily or do drugs when you change your ecodiesel oilo_O In all seriousness, I feel for you brother and hope you get this straightened out. Something doesn't seem right here and I am wondering how you explained this to them. If you were still under powertrain warranty maybe you could have sugarcoated it somehow:unsure:

·
Registered
25 Posts
So, you drained the transmission fluid, and overfilled the engine oil, started the engine, stopped the engine, drained oil (mix of old and new) to the correct amount, but didn't replace the transmission fluid? Got it towed? to the dealership after a no-start? condition? They are saying you need a new engine. What was happening to make you take it to a dealer? What's the diagnosis? Do they know the transmission has no fluid in it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I drained down the oil. Did not fill transmission oil and had ut towed to the dealership. When I had tried to restart after draining off oil it woukd try to crank. The oil seemed to be coming from high up on the engine. Unfortunately I was unable to find exactly where it was originating. So the stealership that I have found out has pretty bad reputation. Took it and kept trying to crank it over instead of manually turning it over to push out the excess oil. After cranking some 20 times they were able to get it started to start to hear a knock. They have simply said possible piston bent and recommended replacing the engine at a price tag of 13k.

·
Administrator
9,287 Posts
It sounds like the engine had it's original oil, plus 10 1/2 quarts added, and another 10 1/2 quarts added because the drain plug was thought to be left out when filled the first time.Possibly over 30 quarts of oil were in the engine when it was started.

If there is enough oil in the crankcase, it may have been forced out through the piston rings as the vehicle runs. I would suspect a crazy amount of oil blow-by. Oil made it's way out of the engine and appeared to cover the top of the engine.

Maybe hydrolocked and that's how the piston rod bent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like the engine had it's original oil, plus 10 1/2 quarts added, and another 10 1/2 quarts added because the drain plug was thought to be left out when filled the first time.Possibly over 30 quarts of oil were in the engine when it was started.

If there is enough oil in the crankcase, it may have been forced out through the piston rings as the vehicle runs. I would suspect a crazy amount of oil blow-by. Oil made it's way out of the engine and appeared to cover the top of the engine.

Maybe hydrolocked and that's how the piston rod bent.
Do you think that's enough reason to replace engine? I would think fix broke part not just throw a new engine at it. Or is that an old way of thinking

·
Administrator
9,287 Posts
It's a lot of labor to tear into these engines. I would guess most dealers don't get too involved with rebuilding engines. You could check with an independant shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts