RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rare transmission issue of spitting fluid out the dipstick has been the subject of recall. Parts were marked unavailable but that has changed. Read that SOME dealers now have the part for the transmission to change out and fix something that may or may not be needed.

Some dealers are not selling their stock until the part is changed. That could be the first usage of the part. One owner of a new 2019 is having his part replaced this week as his dealer got some in. Another said the same about his dealer. I may check with my dealer but not until after I use the truck for some immediate towing needs over the next few weeks.

If you own a new Cummins with that transmission and have the recall notice (2019's and maybe some 2020's) it might be worth asking your dealer if they have or soon expect to get that part for the transmission.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after I write this I get more recalls. One is this one WO3. The other is FCA VB6 - some kind of programming. Parts are in...that what the dealer shows. Will deal with it tomorrow but would like to know about the second recall - some kind of calibration program.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You have to wonder what they did between the prior gen and new gen to upset whats a real good set up.
The recall has probably been installed on the production line for some time.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The transmission was upgraded to handle the extra power of the new hydraulic-valve Cummins for 2019 and on. Last manual valve engine was used in 2018. I know that some clutches and valves were changed to handle the torque.

The repair is a change in something called a "valve separator plate".

·
Registered
845 Posts
Another good reason why my ordered 2020 3500 has the Aisin

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another good reason why my ordered 2020 3500 has the Aisin
Nice to read you ordered a Cummins.

Aisin is only in the 3500. Not something I would want. Even some discussion on that transmission. Sure it is very capable but a bit much due to its' balky shifting patterns. Still, a more robust transmission than the 68RFE and designed for the long and heavy haul.

That was not an option for me. As for the recall, most seem to think it is BS as there is near no incident of an issue. Since I don't want to find out in the future I am going to get that separator plate. The transmission has a decent reputation and I expect no issues except long service life.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nice to read you ordered a Cummins.

Aisin is only in the 3500. Not something I would want. Even some discussion on that transmission. Sure it is very capable but a bit much due to its' balky shifting patterns. Still, a more robust transmission than the 68RFE and designed for the long and heavy haul.

That was not an option for me. As for the recall, most seem to think it is BS as there is near no incident of an issue. Since I don't want to find out in the future I am going to get that separator plate. The transmission has a decent reputation and I expect no issues except long service life.
Capt,
Not sure of your source but I have 2 relatives and a neighbor that have the Aisin, from 2016 to 2020. They would argue that there is no "a bit much due to its' balky shifting patterns". And yes, it has an excellent reputation and no issues and a proven long service life. And with it, the Cummins is rated at 1000 ft lbs.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Capt,
Not sure of your source but I have 2 relatives and a neighbor that have the Aisin, from 2016 to 2020. They would argue that there is no "a bit much due to its' balky shifting patterns". And yes, it has an excellent reputation and no issues and a proven long service life. And with it, the Cummins is rated at 1000 ft lbs.
Haul n Grass has one. He bought and sought out his for the transmission.

I read lots and lots of reports on that transmission. They all say "good" and then add words to discuss the speed of the shifts, when it shifts and other minor things that make it a bit slow in operation. Read around. You will like it as it fits the bigger of the big trucks.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer called me yesterday. Said there were actually two parts needed to repair the transmission for the recall and they only had one. The second part was scheduled to be there in a couple weeks and they would contact me when they had it to do my truck.

As for the re-programming, the service advisor did not do any and did not know anything about what it did. I discussed a possible negative change in performance due to emissions changes and he could not confirm or deny that it had anything to do with engine operation.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Should still be the fs53000 front filter.

Look at the Baldwin bt7349 or hastings lf608 for oil filters. Great specs and inexpensive. I pay around 10 bucks Canadian for them.

I am hoping to extend my oil and fuel changes out as my engine breaks in. Shooting for 25,000 miles but 30 would tickle my fancy.

Give your truck a change or two and get your preferred oil tested. May find out how easy these engines are on oil. I am just waiting on wear metals to further drop but my oil has plenty of life left at 15k.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh?

I am not privy to a transmission filter, having done little to really understand these new Cummins. Appreciate the heads-up on a replacement transmission filter issue. Imagining the transmission fluid will have to be replaces as I guess the transmission comes out to do the parts replacement.

Now guessing the more I use it the better off I will be before the recall work.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sorry, I think I posted that in the wrong thread. I am not sure what transmission filters you may need. The old 68 and 545RFE used the same filters, if I recall. Possibly still the same ones needed with your revised version.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Dad loves his Aisin, it shifts as good or maybe better than his Alison did and lord people f-ing rave about those transmissions.

Watched a TFL video the other day that said RAM was eyeing a couple new transmission to back the future cummins among them was a zf 8-speed, and Alison 9-speed and some form of updated Aisin I believe.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dad loves his Aisin, it shifts as good or maybe better than his Alison did and lord people f-ing rave about those transmissions.

Watched a TFL video the other day that said RAM was eyeing a couple new transmission to back the future cummins among them was a zf 8-speed, and Alison 9-speed and some form of updated Aisin I believe.
Funny you mentioned the Allison. That was the first automatic transmission I ever owned in a 2001 Duramax. What a royal POS. Trouble and then more trouble. Of course the biggest trouble was that hideous Duramax engine. Finally the transmission just flat gave up - torque convertor went, refused to shift and literally shut the whole package down. Now that was at about 140,000 miles and a major reason I got rid of that junk.

The 2004 Ram Cummins with a manual transmission restored my faith in transmissions for near a 1/4 million miles. That damnable Allison 1,000 was a loser for me.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Had 2 duramaxes. an 04 and an 05. Dad got rid of the 04 to get his '18 cummins. 250,000 miles of perfectness from the engine and trans. We still have the 05 its been as flawless as the 04 but only about 200,000 miles. It towed our17,000 lb combined dozer/trailer.

I think you just have some bad luck, or maybe we just have good. Even with the duramaxes we have never had to replace so much as a fuel injector. They did both loose a water pump, I did one and paid to do the other, its a $1,200 job.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lemon 1 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

10 injectors on 8 cylinders??? Major weeks broken down all over the country. ALL of the repairs totaling about $16,000 out of my pocket including motels, and down-time expenses. Then at around 140K the transmission finally let go.

Bad luck for all that - I think not. Bad design and parts. Mine was a 2001 as you see in the picture.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Not a bit of problem with my 2003 Duramax / Allison. Loved the transmission and really liked the external transmission filter and drain plug on the pan. I changed transmission fluid and filter each year and zero issues.

Captain....you've had your share of problems with vehicles for sure. Hopefully this 2500 treats you well.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
There were significant recalls on early Duramax injectors, they had an extended warranty on them till 200k miles I believe. Was 2001 the first year of the Duramax Allison?

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There were significant recalls on early Duramax injectors, they had an extended warranty on them till 200k miles I believe. Was 2001 the first year of the Duramax Allison?
Yes. I think 2001 was the first year. Before that I had the old 6.5 diesel that I flat out loved. Lower in power it still was a great engine for me. Just figured the new Duramax would be good to try.

Phooey. Will add that at some point after many of the injector replacements they DID send me a check for something like $3,200. Better than nothing but by then, I was sick of the whole GM package. Went to Ram diesels and am now on my third new one since then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts