RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cel came on while driving to the mountains. Auto zone along the way pulled this code, can't find a stich of information about it. Anyone had this one pop up?

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Cel came on while driving to the mountains. Auto zone along the way pulled this code, can't find a stich of information about it. Anyone had this one pop up?
I can't find it listed anywhere, although a couple of Honda owners have also asked what it is. It is most likely a proprietary code to FCA. You could try clearing it and hope that it doesn't come back..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here is the definition from the service manual

P015E-00-EXCESSIVE TIME TO ENTER CLOSED LOOP FUEL TIMING CONTROL

If the code keeps coming back, the fix looks like either a wiring repair to circuit(s) leading to the PCM or PCM replacement.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Here is the definition from the service manual

If the code keeps coming back, the fix looks like either a wiring repair to circuit(s) leading to the PCM or PCM replacement.
Do you have a list of codes that you could post? I believe that there are some that are proprietary and can't be found on the web yet.
BTW, where can you get the service manual and what is the cost?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't have the codes saved in a way that I can easily post them but you can go here https://techauthorityonlinedemo.ext...s2002/common/jsp/DemoTA/TechAuthorityDemo.jsp to see the list for free.

Fill in your year/model/engine and click service info.
Click DTC-Based Diagnostics and your favorite module to see a list of all the codes.

You have to pay to see how to fix it but the prices are pretty reasonable. Google "Techauthority" for a list of prices. I bought a 3 day online subscription and saved all the information I care about.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's weird, it works fine for me. You can get to the same place if you Google Techauthority. Once there, click online subscriptions. Click any of the subscription options and then right next to the price is a little "Preview TechAuthority Online" button. If you click that it takes you to the link I referenced earlier. Hopefully that works better.

·
Vendor
1,259 Posts
The P015E fault is a monitoring of the injector's learning algorithm that happens when coasting (accel pedal released completely). This fault indicates nothing that is wrong with the PCM, just that the learning function did not start when it thought it should.

If you are a GDE customer, we'll address this with a future tune release when moving to newer flash versions.

If not, I would take it to the dealer so that engineering gets notified. Ultimately the only thing that can be done is clear it and go, it could just be a fluke.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess it learned something, cel decided to go away today while running around town. Thank you for the feedback also GDE, it certainly put my mind at ease that it was nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I am seeing 2 responses as to what P015E is and am confused. What am I missing here?

The P015E fault is a monitoring of the injector's learning algorithm that happens when coasting

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Gene, it doesn't take much to confuse you. :D:D:D
You are correct again, especially when I see two seemingly different, at least to me, explanations that don't correlate with my limited knowledge of engine management systems. But, I am trying to learn, despite people getting tired of my asking too many questions. Perhaps I have watched too many Columbo TV programs.. :confused:

To be fair, I do learn something here most every day....;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
GDE is correct. I purposely did not print the whole description given by the service manual because I thought it would be more confusing. Perhaps I was wrong. Here it is:

"P015E-00-EXCESSIVE TIME TO ENTER CLOSED LOOP FUEL TIMING CONTROL
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the Injector timing controls and the time it takes for them to enter closed loop by using a system called Zero Fuel Control (ZFC) Diagnostics. There are two separate timers to monitor ZFC, a short-term timer and a long-term
timer. The short-term timer measures the length of time it takes to enter closed loop compared to the ZFC diagnostic last run. The long-term timer runs any time it is possible for the closed loop ZFC to be active. The short term timer runs under more stringent conditions when
it is likely that the closed loop ZFC will be active."

The service manual only gives two possible solutions, replacement of the PCM or a wiring repair.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
GDE is correct. I purposely did not print the whole description given by the service manual because I thought it would be more confusing. Perhaps I was wrong. Here it is:

"P015E-00-EXCESSIVE TIME TO ENTER CLOSED LOOP FUEL TIMING CONTROL
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the Injector timing controls and the time it takes for them to enter closed loop by using a system called Zero Fuel Control (ZFC) Diagnostics. There are two separate timers to monitor ZFC, a short-term timer and a long-term
timer. The short-term timer measures the length of time it takes to enter closed loop compared to the ZFC diagnostic last run. The long-term timer runs any time it is possible for the closed loop ZFC to be active. The short term timer runs under more stringent conditions when
it is likely that the closed loop ZFC will be active."

The service manual only gives two possible solutions, replacement of the PCM or a wiring repair.
Thanks to you and GDE for posting and for the clarification. That's one more bit of information for the old brain box.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 ED Tradesmen - Crew Cab - Long Bed - 4x4 - 3.55
9 Posts
My 2015 has had this code since I bought it a month ago. What effect will this actually have on my truck? I have always had this code so I don't know what the truck is like without it. I will say that sometimes when accelerating from a complete stop, the transmission won't shift into first and the engine just revs for a second or two before it "grabs". Could this be related?

·
Administrator
8,907 Posts
My 2015 has had this code since I bought it a month ago. What effect will this actually have on my truck? I have always had this code so I don't know what the truck is like without it. I will say that sometimes when accelerating from a complete stop, the transmission won't shift into first and the engine just revs for a second or two before it "grabs". Could this be related?
Try clearing the code. It may not come back. The trans issue is likely not related. The ecodiesel is slow to downshift into 1st when stopping. Try hesitating a few seconds after a complete stop and see if it feels normal.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 ED Tradesmen - Crew Cab - Long Bed - 4x4 - 3.55
9 Posts
Follow-up question - this didn't come on until immediately after the EGR recall. Could this error be related to the EGR?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts