RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started getting Service Electronic Throttle message , CEL ( P0234-00 turbo overboost ) and going into limp mode in the late Spring on my 2015 Ecodiesel at about 29K miles. The first trip in to dealership they collected the data and reset the code. It hit a couple more times. In June/July they took truck for 8 days and replaced the turbo. CEL, message and Code occurred on mechanics test drive post turbo replace. They reset the code and opened a Star report and gave me truck back. Hit issue a dozen or more times this summer and fall. Dealership wanted truck but I could not give it to them for extended time.
Just got it back today after two weeks in shop. I have 47K miles, mostly highway.
They replaced tube kit fuel supply, boost sensor- intake manifold sensor, (6) fuel injectors, fuel filter . They dumped a full tank of fuel I purchased a mile before getting to their door. They replaced 10g of fuel and added Asphalteen additive. I am instructed to keep adding asphalteen 4 oz per fill up until I empty the quart. Ram picked up the tab on a rental truck and all of this work. I picked up the 16g of fuel to fill it back up. They treated it as a contaminated fuel issue but did not test the fuel.
I spoke to the mechanic asking about the parts replaced. Sensor was carboned up, EGR tube was pretty clean. Injectors were rusty! The fuel filter was last replaced less than 20K miles ago. No CEL on ride home. Anyone else seeing this code???

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Yes I am getting that. Shut if off restart it and she is fine. But I am going to have to take it in and find out as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VernDiesel, Best wishes with your issues. Did you read your codes? Is it the turbo overboost?
The computer turns on limp mode pretty quick as the overboost is only there for milliseconds per the service tech. I'm afraid they are just throwing parts at mine and are still on a learning curve on these engines. The dealer mechanic seems to know a good deal on the ECO and he has been working with the FCA Star rep for what to try next. I am fortunate things are under warranty and on their dime. I'm concerned with the rusty injectors. My coolant sits just below the min line on the tank and they pressure tested it during the summer to appease my request for the test.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
This dealership and Tech is on a R/R expedition, The rusty injectors card again is just a sign of the incompetency of the tech. Over-boost codes are generally related to poor communications / sensors easily fixed, by someone who knows what to look for and knows what to do about it.

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Unfortunately I didn't write down what the code was and I have forgotten it. Only once did mine go into the limp home mode where it stays in a low gear. A dealer or a shop with a higher level scan tool can clear it if you are on the road and don't want to deal with it at that time. Which was my case. But I have gotten the message a few times and short of that one time it doesn't go into limp home mode and clears out with a restart.

Agree that the tech is fishing but it's an imperfect world. TC do you know does the RAM tech have a software site where they put symptoms and solutions to codes. Somebody has likely already got this resolved if they can just tap that information.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
No, the aftermarket has several Mitchell, Idenifix, and a few others. All of us that Pay TechAuthority have the tech line for that and most dealership have access.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought I'd give an update to my turbo overboost. I now have 3K miles after the latest fix and did not yet see a re-occurrence of the problem. No Cel or limp mode since last repair. Now, I have a new issue... Cab is filling up with exhaust fumes. I must drive with window open a few inches which is not too much fun in the winter. I guess I'll make another thread for this new issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes I am getting that. Shut if off restart it and she is fine. But I am going to have to take it in and find out as well.
I had this issue with the 2016 Ecodiesel that I had. Ram engineering had to get involved and had the tech do a series of tests and it was determined that the turbo boost sensor was bad. They order the sensor and replaced it and all was well after that. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the P0234 code several times. 2015 with 42,000 miles. Two trips to dealer were not successful in repairing problem. Seemed to be a trial and error fix on my dime. On the third trip I had a heart to heart talk with the service manager and then the sales manager. Since I have bought 4 new vehicles and this truck at one year old in the last ten years they decided to repair it and eat the cost. They flushed the EGR cooler, cleaned the EGR tube and replaced the sensor in the intake. I have 500 miles on it since repairs and have done at least three regens with no problem. The boost actually runs at a negative 2.4 at idle. I bought it with 17,000 miles on it and it never went that low. Runs like a new truck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This dealership and Tech is on a R/R expedition, The rusty injectors card again is just a sign of the incompetency of the tech. Over-boost codes are generally related to poor communications / sensors easily fixed, by someone who knows what to look for and knows what to do about it.
I bought a one-owner, 2016 RAM 1500 Eco diesel w/34,800 miles on it a couple of months ago. Was loving the truck, until 10/11/19, fortunately only 26 miles from home at the start of a 900 mile trip, got odd engine sound, slight vibrations, high-rev/limp mode, white smoke pouring out from under the hood and out the pipes, and "Service Electronic Throttle Control" warning light. We were almost at an exit, so limped off the freeway. Did not have the presence of mind to check and record engine temps. Thought it was on fire. Have extinguisher in the back, but smoke cleared upon opening the hood. Exhaust pipes are coated w/white dust and tiny white pellets.
After a minute tried to start it to see if SETC light would reset, as per Owner's Manual. Massive white smoke plumes again, so turned it off immediately.
When wrecker arrived (four hours later! - Chrysler roadside assistance was worthless; my own insurance company more responsive but picked the wrong towing company to respond), we were able to start the truck and drive it up onto the tow bed - no smoke. Got to the dealership late Friday afternoon on the 11th. Researched this issue over the weekend, and told the dealer that the fix might involve new injectors, new turbo and EGR cooler, new sensors here and there, etc. Dealer said they had NEVER had to replace injectors at 36,000 miles. $125 for initial tech time.
The following week they cleaned the injectors and replaced a sensor, and updated the software. Mostly covered by warranty, except for $250 for the sensor, or something (don't have the bill, yet). Still limp. Getting a turbo issue code. But "let's change out the fuel filter, first, before we replace the turbo." $175 fuel filter - old filter was at about 75% life used up, if that.
It's now the 22nd. The are replacing the turbo, and the EGR cooler, under warranty. Only there are 1,300 EGR coolers on back order in the United States, with no published delivery date. No dealer who happens to have one in stock will give it up.
Anybody else have this issue accompanied by the smoke under the hood and residue in the pipes?
Anybody have a 'real' fix? Online forums indicate FCA doesn't really have good answers for this, yet, short of replacing the engine.

·
Premium Member
14,050 Posts
Massive white smoke. Reads like a coolant leak from maybe turbo or EGR.

This was a years-old thread. I know, your first post. Why not start a new thread with your own topic. Call it "Massive White Smoke" or something like that. There are excellent mechanics on here who will spot that and get back to you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just replied to another post but mine had kinda the same issues. dealership finally replaced the turbo boost pressure sensor and apparently its been fine. My truck has been in the shop though for 4 months almost

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just replied to another post but mine had kinda the same issues. dealership finally replaced the turbo boost pressure sensor and apparently its been fine. My truck has been in the shop though for 4 months almost
Makes my 4 weeks in the shop look pretty tame, don't it?!!? ? They've replaced lots more parts, though, and it's still broke.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I'd give an update to my turbo overboost. I now have 3K miles after the latest fix and did not yet see a re-occurrence of the problem. No Cel or limp mode since last repair. Now, I have a new issue... Cab is filling up with exhaust fumes. I must drive with window open a few inches which is not too much fun in the winter. I guess I'll make another thread for this new issue.
What repair was done on the turbo overboost?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts