RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
2019 Classic here with 52,000kms. GDE hot tune on 2nd ecm since 3000km. Motor has never skipped a beat…until Friday night. Was towing my usual 6000lbs to the cabin and noticed a hesitation and then I got the service electronic throttle message and scanned and found P0234 turbo over/under boost. Truck went into limp mod. Tried clearing codes, just would come back again as speeds climbed. Slow drive to the cabin. Test drive without the trailer and it didn’t throw any codes but there was an intermittent hesitation around 3k rpm. Had it towed home because I didn’t trust it. Swapped my old ecm in for warranty but my check engine light is now off. I can see the electronic throttle code still stored but the p0234 is gone. Test drive had the same periodic hesitation but not bad. Threw on a light 3k trailer to see if I could pop the p0234 but nothing. I’m hoping I don’t get the old “dealer can’t replicate” issue. I’m thinking it’s the turbo vane actuator. Wondering if I should hook a heavy load on to try to pop that p0234 again on the original ecm or if it matters for the dealer?
Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From searching, looks like others have had similar issues. VGT system issues and turbo replacement at similar mileage to mine. I wonder if the trucks have different programming for limp mode if there’s a trailer hooked up? Obviously higher potential for damage when pulling so limp is trigger vs unconnected?

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,461 Posts
Swapped my old ecm in for warranty but my check engine light is now off. I can see the electronic throttle code still stored but the p0234 is gone. Test drive had the same periodic hesitation but not bad. Threw on a light 3k trailer to see if I could pop the p0234 but nothing
The Codes/CEL is stored in the ECM itself. Chances are the conditions for the CEL to be set just haven't been met fully, that why it hasn't turned on with the old ECM yet. You might be able to use something like AlfaOBD that can sometimes read pending CELs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: new turbo ordered. ETA unknown from the US. No hassles for me over the warranty. I had my CTS2 on the windshield and they asked if it was “chipped” and I said it was just an obd2 monitor (which it is). I was also asked if I had changed the fuel filter (which I’ve done twice myself). I offered any maintenance records needed as it’s all done by me. They didn’t ask for anything. Apparently they had to call their tech line for approval on the replacement. I’m told they are getting the p0234 when it’s driven hard on hills. I was only getting it with my gde ecm pulling the trailer. I can only guess what this would cost out of warranty…

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tacking on to this thread in case people search for P0234 in the future. My truck gets this code when pulling a trailer up a hill on the interstate. Either an enclosed trailer or a 22 foot wakeboard boat. Estimate around 4,000 lbs. It also happened a few times unloaded, but it's pretty easy to replicate with a trailer, an Interstate and a hill.

It's at the dealer now. Their response:
"Found code for over boost condition, found no issues wrong with vehicle or turbo system at this time. PCM update remapped the software. Code was not included with the update, but cannot find anything physically wrong with the truck. Truck will throw over boost code is a .1 of a psi is found."

I've asked them to keep looking and engage corporate resources if necessary. It's dangerous when it goes into limp mode on the freeway. Will update this thread with resolution (if any). Don't mean to hijack this thread, but for people searching in the future having a single thread may help. Truck is a 2018 Big horn crew cab 4x4. Currently 37,000 miles but the problem started occurring a while back (20,000 mi???). Have replaced the air filter just because it was one of the suggested fixes. As expected that didn't help. Replaced MAP sensor with new one. That didn't help.

I don't know if engaging @RamCares is appropriate yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tacking on to this thread in case people search for P0234 in the future. My truck gets this code when pulling a trailer up a hill on the interstate. Either an enclosed trailer or a 22 foot wakeboard boat. Estimate around 4,000 lbs. It also happened a few times unloaded, but it's pretty easy to replicate with a trailer, an Interstate and a hill.

It's at the dealer now. Their response:
"Found code for over boost condition, found no issues wrong with vehicle or turbo system at this time. PCM update remapped the software. Code was not included with the update, but cannot find anything physically wrong with the truck. Truck will throw over boost code is a .1 of a psi is found."

I've asked them to keep looking and engage corporate resources if necessary. It's dangerous when it goes into limp mode on the freeway. Will update this thread with resolution (if any). Don't mean to hijack this thread, but for people searching in the future having a single thread may help. Truck is a 2018 Big horn crew cab 4x4. Currently 37,000 miles but the problem started occurring a while back (20,000 mi???). Have replaced the air filter just because it was one of the suggested fixes. As expected that didn't help. Replaced MAP sensor with new one. That didn't help.

I don't know if engaging @RamCares is appropriate yet.
CEL’s are annoying but if the truck gets thrown into limp mode it can be a safety issue, especially towing. I definitely wouldn’t be satisfied with no solution. Maybe it’s time to try another dealer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picked up my truck from the dealer today. They were convinced it was a dirty Air filter so I paid them to change it. They also updated the PCM. I asked them for a pointer to the documentation or service bulletin on the pcm update but they didn't give any info. They charged me a diagnostic fee when I picked up the truck. I asked them if they were going to refund it when I bring it back with the same problem. I mostly wanted them to note it in my file because I have a hill on the interstate close by that is guaranteed to create the P0234 and service electronic throttle message if I'm towing my trailer.

Left the dealer. Connected my trailer and headed up the hill. Got the P0234 code as expected. Texted a picture of the Service Electronic Throttle light and the P0234 code to the dealer. They responded that they're looking for a turbo for my truck (backordered) and will call me when they find one (I'm still waiting for the EGR cooler too. I went on the list in May). They also said they'd refund the diagnostic fee. I have to say they have treated me well. They had no way to recreate the P0234 code so I sort of understand their hesitance to take my word that I could recreate it at will when I connect the trailer and head up a hill.

So, it seems like the resolution will be a new turbo (I hope that solves it). Does anyone know if there was a bad batch of turbos in 2018? I guess I'm wondering if I can expect to do this again in 30,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It might be a problem in the system when driving this why that code was showing by mistake. After you go carefully, that code vanishes and does not show. That's nothing much problem if that's code are not showing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts