RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

P0299, P00AE and limp mode for 250 miles

5K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  biodiesel 
#1 ·
2015 that has about 180k on it. I’ve had a GDE tune and been EGR, DPF, Cat, and DEF deleted for about 80k miles I think.

I was driving home 60% of the way through a 12 hour trip. Houston to Albuquerque. HOT HOT HOT and HOT again. Truck was running fine/normal until I crossed the TX/NM border and it threw the CEL, Throttle Control warning and Exhaust Service see dealer. Now I don‘t have a DPF or an EGR that can be plugged. So I’m trying to figure out what to look at before I dig in.

The only thing out of the norm with the truck is that night before last, I pulled over at a rest stop to catch a quick little 20 minute nap, and woke up 7 hours later when someone called me. No idea how it happened, but it did. And its east Texas so temp was still low 90s and high humidity so naturally I had left the truck running with the A/C running. But I stretched my legs, hopped back in and took off down the road and it drove fine for 8 hours before it gave me the codes, so maybe its unrelated.

Unfortunately, where I broke down is the middle of nowhere. I tried resetting my codes but my reader wouldn’t do it. Tried disconnecting battery and discharging things and still didn’t do it. Checked on a tow and it would have taken them 6 hours to get to me, then another 4-6 home and not sure how much my insurance would cover. So I said to hell with it and decided to drive it home in limp mode. I found a way to feather the throttle to get it to shift and even with absolutely zero boost I could get it up to 65mph on flat ground. Going up hills wouldn’t drop below 40 mph. Oil pressure and temps all stayed acceptable throughout this stressful, long and drawn out 5 hours in limp mode to get home.

So what parts should I be checking? I saw a recent post that mentioned the map sensor so that will be where I go first I guess. But then after that, I’m not sure what to dig into.

See less See more
#5 ·
Just watched those videos and officially nervous. So after my initial issue, I got home, cleaned the plugged MAP, cleaned the MAF and put a new air filter in. Then I cleared the code, drove it. Made it about 800 miles before it came on again. I reset the code and drove normal again. I’ve reset it twice more since then trying to pinpoint it, but collectively have driven about 2k miles since it first popped up.

I don’t have a DPF or EGR. I deleted all that stuff around 100k miles.
I have a GDE tuned ECM. I called them and they told me there is nothing they can do to help me due to the EPA issues. Can’t even offer support.
I got a thermostat rationality code on one instance.
My coolant is low.

I’m now worried that my intake is melted or my turbo is bad. I may just go trade this pile in next week. I make fun of Ford guys for having to lift the cab to pull things off. Apparently thats the case on these turbos too according to that first video.

Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Multimedia

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive battery Automotive design Automotive exterior
Font Technology Gadget Screenshot Software
Font Technology Screenshot Multimedia Electronic device

Attachments

#7 ·
Turbo is my opinion at this point but I personally would look at freeze frame and post that data for me . Also does your scanner show cylinder fuel corrections in data ?? Map sensor seemed pretty wet ? It is not normal to get an exhaust message for underboost in my experience with p0299 code . Maybe things have changed but usually that message about exhaust relates to DPF or DEF system . I also worry your not getting all the codes with your scanner . My experienced gut tells me turbo but hard to say without a ton more info .

#9 ·
MAP sensor being wet was just due to when I took the picture right after spraying it with the electronics cleaner. But, I will say I noticed quite a bit of oil in my CAC tubes. Not sure how much is normal in these things.

As to the exhaust message with the code, I can’t say. I’ve been deleted (EGR, DPF and Cat) and turned off (DEF) for about 80k miles, so nothing is there to be plugged and unless the ECM is randomly throwing a fault for missing equipment reading the wrong parameters I can’t understand that message either.

I’m using the OBD Link app for the MX+ scanner I use. I’m not sure if Alpha OBD would provide any more clear info/action there. Admittedly, data logging is not something I do much of, so I’m not positive exactly what to look at, but I can try and check that out later after work and get some more. Getting it when the code sets is going to be just shy of impossible. I’ve driven almost 2500 miles since it first set on me when I posted this thread a month ago. After clearing the code the first time, it took about 800 miles to come on again. Since then, each time I clear it, its random how long it takes to come back. Once it happened almost immediately while I was backing out of my driveway, and other times it will take 200-500 miles. It doesn’t seem to show up under any specific condition or throttle position, just randomly at various speeds, in various gears at various RPMs.

#11 ·
Agreed. In a condition where I’d assume there should be little to no boost at all it sets that code. That code is the only one that is consistent. There have been a few random others that pop up with it, but don’t repeat like it does when I clear the code.

Honestly, I can’t tell if it is running right or not. I’ve always thought this was a gutless pig of a truck. Tuning and deleting made no difference. So I have no clue if I am getting any boost at all, or enough or what. I thought about putting a mechanical boost gauge in, but don’t really want to if I don’t have to.

#12 ·
I have replaced about eight of these turbos. They always seem to set the ender burst under load around a quarter throttle. The P00ae it’s not even occurring that should be popping up and it’s internal Chart. P00af is and if that’s the color that you have gotten that also points to the turbo. In this case if I had to roll the dice I may try a used mass airflow that’s maybe not that much money. Also wouldn’t be a bad idea to have the dealership reflash ( put back to stock )the PCM even though it’s up-to-date. And if that doesn’t change anything you can also try a known good map sensor.

#18 ·
Can I ask you to dumb this down a little for me. What exactly am I supposed to be looking at? I don’t follow “2 & 4 are over dueling” maybe you meant cylinders 2 and 4 are over fueling? But even if that is correct, how do I look at that? Please, if possible, simplify the process as if you’re explaining it to someone who knows almost nothing about it. I’m trying to figure out which data I need to be looking at for answers.

As a secondary note, I threw a new MAP sensor at it. Set off the code the next morning getting on the highway. So no go there.

#13 ·
I haven’t seen P00AE or P00AF at all any of the times it has gone into limp mode on me. I really hate to start throwing parts at it but I guess I can if there is no other recourse. I can’t have them flash the truck back to stock though due to everything being deleted. That would send it haywire and limp due to missing EGR, Cat and DPF.

#15 ·
Before you start throwing parts at it or putting it back to stock for a reflash which wont help invest in a monitor like banks I dash or edge cts2. You can monitor commanded vs actual and see if things like the turbo vanes are moving correclty. Also the egr flow control valve aka throttle body looking thing can move even once deleted via software and cause underboost issues. The exhaust message is caused by the P0299 code these have been that way since they came out. You could try unplugging the orange connector by the flow control valve and see if the issue goes away, it make cause a code depending on the tune.

#16 ·
When I say I deleted I mean deleted. Removed entirely from the truck. For me to return to stock I'd have to buy a new EGR and that's a ton of work and money to see if a problem is fixable in stock mode. Plus I've run the same software tuned and deleted for 80k miles without issue before this so I'm not real quick to believe it's a tuning problem just popping up 2 years later.

As for buying a monitor, that's 500 to a non essential piece of gear on a truck that may need a few hundred bucks worth of parts so doesn't make much sense.

Code came back on as I left work. About 25% throttle as you mentioned. As you can see though, 8 warm ups and 200 miles since the last time I cleared it.

Font Technology Screenshot Gadget Software

Font Screenshot Technology Software Multimedia

#22 ·
P0299 gets set when the turbo underboosts at 4psi. the question is why the turbo is under boosting which both a long and distinquished list of tests. the other codes can be helpful but get some flights (telemtry) on systems to see if 2 & 4 are over dueling for example.
I just realized that I misquoted a previous response intended for you. If I could trouble you to take a look at post #18, my questions were actually directed to you, rather than the quote I put on there.

#25 ·
On all my past turbodiesels, a P0299 code is always an underboost condition. This can be from many things: from a blown hose, to a stuck wastegate controller or actuator, to a blown turbo. You need to find a way to inspect everything in the pathway of the air going to the intake: exhaust manifold to turbo, turbo itself (including variable vane system and wastegate controller and actuator), any boost pipes/hoses before/after the intercooler. Maybe run a smoke test for longer to see where the leak(s) is.

In the end, it will be limited to a boost leak somewhere, a physical fault with the wastegate controller or actuator, a bad sensor, or the turbo has just shat itself. But if that were the case, you'd likely have experienced more than just limp mode; you'd have black/blue smoke out the exhaust, or could've had a runaway condition. Since you mentioned nothing else other than limp mode, I'm guessing it's a boost leak somewhere and the ECU isn't happy until it's fixed.

#28 ·
the air intake is a flimsy pos and the comnection behind the engine cover looked loose on mine orob from when they did the egr cooler. when its really hot the hoses get pliable and thinks will be more probe to leak hot then cold. the intercooler hose clamps for the turbo and intercooler connections are laughable, the clamps dont ecen clamp at all, they are just suppose to keep the hose against a pipe boss fitting and notoriously leak. its the shittiest clamp design ever invented. zip ties would work better.

#30 ·
Dropping an update to say I don’t have anything figured out. I have tested more, logged but can’t get the data off the scanner due to it being too large of a file size to send. I’ve pushed the truck hard and can feel a lack of boost compared to what it should be. I haven’t replaced anything else other than the MAP sensor, air filter and the battery.

At this point I’m guessing its the turbo. So I’m trying to save up for buying a two post lift so that I can lift the cab and replace it.

Anyone ever swap this drivetrain out for a more reliable/more powerful one? 12 valve? LS - lol? Seriously, I don’t hate the body of the truck I’ve got, but I’ve been nothing but disappointed by the ecodiesel for years now. I tried trading it in, but dealers don’t even want it without giving me pennies on the dollar. Said they have a hard time getting rid of them. I’m too far upside down to do anything other than keep driving this turd at this point.

#31 ·
I have had issues with the p0299 code and have posted about it on here in the past. Reset the code at least 10 times. I put a new MAP sensor in and had a code soon after. Since then it has been close to a year and close to 15,000 miles without a code. I don’t think the problem is fixed but I have learned what causes the under boost and I try to avoid it. For me It only happens under a load such as going up a hill soon after the truck has been sitting And I can climb the hill slowly without giving much throttle and let the truck work. Once it shifts and I hear the turbo spool I don’t have an issue. my truck is also deleted and tuned, but i bought it that way and have no idea what tune it has or if that is causing the problem. I know this doesn’t help you any, but I feel your pain as I don’t trust my truck not to leave me stranded in the mountains somewhere. In a way I keeps me from doing things I want to do.

#32 ·
Another update. I had no choice but to use the truck for a much larger and harder trip than I had wanted. I pulled an 8k camper about 800 miles and then back home empty and here is what happened. I leave my OBD scanner attached while driving. I didn't log the whole way, but have to keep it ready to reset the engine light and clear codes to get it out of limp mode. I'd say that over the 1600 miles, I had to reset it about 50 times. Most of the time the limp code was for intake temp circuit. Sometimes it was underboost and implausible torque signal as well. At some point on the trip out, the NoX sensor in the downpipe rattled out. Unfortunately, due to me dealing with this thing constantly broken, I didn't look to find out why it sounded so much more throaty until we got there. It had pumped a bunch of soot into the engine bay by the back side of the turbo. Oh well, we screwed it back in and got back on the road.

I can make the code appear pretty much under command as soon as I floor it, or if I accelerate heavily and hold the RPMs up near 3k for very long, it will limp. But if I keep things low, it runs fine and doesn't limp nearly as much. Sometimes I can go hundreds of miles without issue. But if i floor it while loaded, its gonna limp immediately. Still leaning turbo. Still need a lift and a pile of money. I also started talking to a couple dealers about trading it in toward a cummins. We will see what happens first.

#33 ·
@jtyson, did you repair the truck or did you trade for a Cummins?