RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our new truck (2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel) in October and soon after the purchase the Check Engine Light came on. We took the truck to the dealer to have a navigation system installed and asked them to check the CEL reason. At that time the mechanic informed us that it was a P050E code and we would need to replace a sensor which they needed to order. They cleared the code. Did not have any more CEL and since we live 1.5 hour drive from the dealer we were not in a hurry to get he truck back to the dealer for the sensor install. Starting about the end of February the CEL came back on again (same code). After 4 trips back and forth from the dealer, they are now telling us that it is a software issue that is causing the CEL light to come on with a false P050E code. They told us that Chrysler is aware of this issue and trying to fix the software problem. They also told us that regardless of what they replace we will probably continue to have the CEL come back on with the P050E code. When the CEL light is on, you can not use the remote start feature...bummer for my wife. We live at 8500 feet and are still experiencing winter like conditions. Last weekend we had 2 feet of snow....(that's why she likes the remote start....) The dealership had the attitude that we will just have to "live" with this inconvenience until Chrysler comes up with a fix for the software and there is no estimated time when that would be completed...Anyone else experiencing this frustration with a new expensive truck??????

·
Registered
417 Posts
Not really frustrated but I have had this CEL twice within a couple of days of each other. I just cleared them with my Edge. It's just a low exhaust gas temperature on warm-up code so essentially a nuisance code. I read that a possible cause is a clogged air filter so after the second time I replaced the air filter and have not seen that code return. Telling you that you have to live with it is BS IMO.

·
Super Moderator
2,572 Posts
Sounds as though you need to find a competent dealer. When was your truck built? There have been a few software updates since the 15's came out so the dealer sould have at the very least flashed the latest version of the software and replaced the sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They did flash the software and did replace the catalyst sensor...but they said the CEL will probably come back on again because of the software problem...so they don't plan on doing anything else I guess...it takes a few days for the CEL to come back on..the last reset/service was Wednesday (3 days ago) so just waiting to see what will happen next...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Bogart811, I see you live in Florissant. I live in Black Forest. We are also having problems with our 2014 Ecodiesel and CEL code p050e. We are working with the Ram/Dodge dealer on the east side of town (you know the one). We received a recall notice to replace the SCR and within a week of replacing the SCR, we have had our truck into the dealer no less than 4 times with code p050e. They have replaced several sensors (most recently the EGT sensor). They have also upgraded software. We have just picked the truck up again, but I am not very confident that the problem has been fixed. The dealership said they have opened a STAR case with FCA, but still no definite fix. We have not had a single CEL in 22k miles and now we have had several since the SCR recall. I was just curious if your p050e issue has been resolved. I have been very patient with FCA, but I am starting to think I need to plan for next steps...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Bogart & Ratbike. Woodland Park here and and my 2015 throws that code every now and then. You guys have any luck with the dealer yet?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Might legitimately be a software problem - especially since we are seeing a number of people with the problem on this forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Bogart811! I live in Woodland Park and have a 1500 Eco diesel 2015. I have gone through quite a few gyrations so far to eliminate this fault. Were you able to clear your fault light on the low exhaust temperature. The P050E fault?

·
Registered
45 Posts
With approximately 56,000 miles, my truck displayed it's first Check Engine Light while in Mammoth Lakes California. Drove home and had my mechanic friend scan it with his Cen-Tech scanner...it displayed at P050E "Cold Start Engine Exhaust Temperature Too Low."

1. Should I rush to the dealer for repair?
2. Is it something that is repaired through a "software update"?

·
Registered
45 Posts
With the CEL still displaying, I ran the truck until the fuel tank reached near empty. I filled up at my local Chevron station and then started the truck. Immediately the CEL cleared itself. It's been running for over a week now without any reoccurrence of the CEL. I suspect the diesel fuel from the Chevron station in Mammoth Lakes California was the culprit. Might I add that I still averaged 27.5mpg during the approximately 400mile trip back home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a new 2017 Eco Deisel and have 2300 KM and now have the check engine light with the same code P050E. I have an appointment at the dealer. I suppose I can expect the same old answer since this was already reported in 2015 and my 2017 has the same problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It has been over 2 years and I am still suffering with CEL P050e on my 2014 Ecodiesel. I have been to the dealership over a dozen times for this issue (I am retired). They still do not have a fix. My truck is now out of warranty, but the service manager said he would continue to work with me. The CEL first popped following the SCR recall and comes on about once a week. The dealership has tried many things such as replacing the SCR again, several software upgrades, oil changes, new DEF, various sensors, air filter, oil filter, etc. No luck. FCA says that it is a software issue and is working on a software upgrade. Still waiting. I was concerned that with the CEL on most of the time, I would not know if a different CEL code has come up. In addition, with the CEL on, the remote start does not work. So, the dealership gave me a scan tool to check the code and reset when it comes on. I guess this is slightly better than putting a piece of black tape over the CEL. The dealership told me that software upgrades have been released to address P050e on 2016 and 2017 Ecodiesels, but nothing yet for 2014 and 2015s.

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Two ideas that probably will not suit:

I like black tape. Have used in the past but do not want to use it again.

Ask GDE if they have ideas and/or if their program has anything to do with those sensors.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Why don’t people try different dealerships? Not all dealerships have mechanics who know diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,577 Posts
Why don’t people try different dealerships? Not all dealerships have mechanics who know diesels.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many if not most buyers, only relate with their closest/selling dealer. In many cases that may be the only dealer around for long distances. Guessing only urban residents have multiple dealership choices.

Then there is the issue of ownership knowledge. Few owners have the knowledge and attitude to even be around this forum and learn. I speak with other owners often as I'm nebby toward Ecodiesel owners. Few to none I have met have a clue about operating an Ecodiesel well. Some here are flat out genius. Many of us are kind of naive. Some of us are flat out unknowing. Even yesterday I met an owner who had no clue where the oil filter was and what it might look like and cost.

To expect the "unwashed" to deal with this P050E code or others in an informed manner is unrealistic. Owners have to be confident in their local dealership. That dealership has to have people working there who can both "walk and chew gum". Assess blame on the dealership and FCA. That's where the problem often lies.

Reactions: Davemd

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Very true capt. Many people are challenged to find the dip stick to check the oil Let alone change it . Mostly by choice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
These are correlation or plausibility errors where comparisons are made between stored and actual calculated values, and tolerances are set too tight (usually with the early/ first release of the software). You can either get the dealer to update your software to latest firmware version, or purchase a newer ecu containing updated sw, or get a tuner to update the firmware so these faults never come back. In the gas world, I have seen many times similar annoying faults where the catalyst efficiency has failed on new cats because the testing parameter tolerances that the 02 sensors compare running data are too tight.

It is not a big deal to turn off random nuisance faults that have no related drivability issues. Check with your tuner, or I can help with this problem, and other nuisance plausibility tests that need tolerances opened up or simply turned off. There are no control changes or economy or running differences or emissions problems when removing these tests/faults. This is similar across all Bosch platforms Mercedes CDI, Jeep CRD, VW TDI, Chevy Duramax, Cruze, etc.

The only instance I recall actual hardware failure causing annoying cel's, was cracked dpf on tdi's, that quickly clog up low pressure egr can/filter, and causes legitimate egr flow faults. It was obvious to see soot on the tailpipes in this case, and know there is a problem with dpf.

Of course it's also easy to turn off egr, and flaps, etc, and retain, functionality of adblue, and dpf, emissions integrity.

Same goes for annoying code P026C, while truck always runs fine/same before and after replacing pump and injectors. In this case it could be the fault occurrence number of instances needs to be increased, along with the (min/max) tolerance value.

Jeff

·
Registered
573 Posts
In town there was an ecodiesel with a Cummins front license plate. Honest that's how much a lot of owners know about the ED. It has a Lariat or better too. One dealer has a diesel mechanic, the other dealer in the province doesn't. Barely anyone knows the difference. If I ever have a motor issue I know where my truck is going.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts