RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Heading up to the family cottage for a week, halfway into the 3 hour drive I get that nasty ding and the check engine light goes on. No difference in driveability. Continued on to the final destination. Checked the codes and it gives the P1691 and P1692.

Very limited I formation from what I can find.

DEF injector? Some sort of fuel pump. I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
Those are circuit high and circuit low codes for the def injector. Look underneath and inspect the wiring for the def injector make sure its not melting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll try and check it out when I get back to the mainland......

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally was able to crawl under. No melted wires, I unplugged and re-plugged in the def injector as well as the def line...I will be cleaning the injector for the first time withing the next week....., nothing seemed out of the ordinary EXCEPT.... 1 of the 3 bolts on the flange for the SCR were sheeted off. I noticed the stainless steel braided mesh on the SCR was...peeled back... Unravelling at the front of the truck end.....
I cleared the codes and drove home. Took the truck to my local diesel shop to have the bolts replaced... They did that....but they said in that braided steel is a flex pipe, and it was rotted all the way through..... Getting those SCR lugs obviously caused the thing to completely sheer off. So now I had the flex pipe just dangling there. Needing the truck, and it being 4pm on a Friday (why do I do this to myself) I decided to get it home and do a temp repair until I could get it to the recommended exhaust shop who said they could weld the flex pipe or new flex pipe...or ....fix it without dishing $4100 for a new SCR.

Pic pre and post temp fix.

I cut a strip of sheet metal I had lying around...wrapped the exposed good metal bits and with an overly large (again lying around) 4" worm gear secured the sheet metal so as to direct the majority of the hot exhaust THROUGH the exhaust and not melt any wiring or the def tube etc.

Ugh.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hi: Old Iron 1978... Looks like your "Flex pipe" has flexed its last!!! Nice fix though. If you have it welded it won't take as long for it to pull apart next time!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shout out to A&A Exhaust Systems in Hamilton/Stoney Creek Ontario for a quick fix. Looks like they did a great job to me. $365 bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts