RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just a heads up to current/prosepct RAM 1500 EcoDiesel owners (Gen3)....

Back in May, I traded my 2011 Ford F-150 Lariat EcoBoost with 125,000 miles to buy, what I thought, was my dream truck. A fully-loaded 1500 EcoDiesel Limited. MSRP of nearly $75,000. Beautiful truck.

I believe it was the 3rd or 4th day of ownership that my dream truck revealed itself to be a nightmare, however. Right around a whopping 350 miles on the odometer, the check engine light came on. I own a code reader, and was able to pull error code P2002 back from the truck computer. The description of that code is "DPF Low Efficiency."

I took the truck to the dealership for confirmation of the error code and repair. Their initial assessment was to replace the DPF filter, itself. Nevermind that the factory filter only had 350 miles on it. Nevermind that it cost $2000 for the part, alone. And nevermind that it was backordered for several months.

I was told it was okay to keep driving the truck while waiting for the part. During that time, truck ran like it was in safe mode, especially at low speeds. Weak acceleration, almost dangerously so. Basically just had to mash the gas pedal to the floor to force lowest gear available, get RPMs above 2500, at which point things would run somewhat normally. Somewhere around 8 weeks after initial assessment, the part came in and the DPF filter was replaced and computer "flashed."

I made it all of 50 miles before the check engine light came on again. Same code, P2002. Took it back and they said the would try replacing the two sensors involved in producing that code, the upstream and downstream. Took about two weeks to get parts in and get them replaced. Computer flashed.

This time I made it about 75 miles before the check engine light came on again. Same code, P2002. Back to the dealership again, this time with assurance that the next level up of RAM engineers would be getting involved. Their conclusion was that there was an air leak around one of the sensors. So they pulled it and put it back in with thread sealer. Nevermind that this would/should have already been done with the factory sensor, and also the replacement sensor. Whatever, apparently I have all the time in the world to keep taking this thing in for incorrect repairs. They flashed the computer, regen'd the DPF.

Miraculously, I made it about 350 miles before the check engine light came on yet again. P2002. The dealership confessed that they have absolutely no idea what it could be, and even commented about all the problems they've been having with the new EcoDiesels. Still, I was told to bring it in. And my open Support Case with RAM apparently required it. So this morning, I woke up extra early to do just that. The service associate I've been working with was friendly & cordial, as usual. This time he offered to drive me to the car rental center to expedite my morning. Very nice, and much appreciated. He dropped me there and then took the truck back for assessment, repair, whatever they planned to try/do even though nothing had been specified. Three minutes later, the car rental operation informed me that RAM would no longer be covering the full cost of my rental car, not even an economy vehicle. Even though I'd specified a truck would be required for me to do my job (and RAM verbally agreed), apparently I would have to pay out-of-pocket for the pleasure of driving a Toyota Camry while my 1500 Limited was in the shop for an unspecified amount of time.

On top of the P2002 errors, I had epoxy from the factory on my steering wheel that warranted it getting replaced. And I have a speaker blown that makes listening to talk radio/news almost unbearable. 7000 miles on the truck. This has been the absolute worst experience with a vehicle I have had in my entire life.

Steer clear of RAM. And to the person who bought my Ford, enjoy. 125,000 miles with only one issue that was replaced under warranty at about 65,000 miles. I got $13,500 for it on trade in, lol. Ran better and more reliable than the $75,000 piece of RAM junk I bought to replace it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I find hard to believe that the truck would allow you to keep driving with a DPF code and not go into limp mode. 7,000 miles with a DPF code just does not sound right. My suggestion is go buy yourself another Ford but I bet you can't because you probably took out a 7 or 8 year loan and are so far upside down in it that no one can make a deal with you.

Further if what you say is true why haven't you started a lemon law case on the truck? From what I can tell you are now on repair number 4 for the same code without resolution so you should be at the point of lemon law.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to my world, sir. Researching lemon law attorneys as we speak. Just really can't believe how miserable RAM allowed this to get. They've had multiple opportunities to make things right, starting when the truck had <500 miles on it. Can't explain the ineptitude of their engineers, either. I totally understand working the problem backwards. But a filter doesn't go bad in under 500 miles, especially one that has a mode to clean itself (regen). But the wanted to fix that first, likely because they get paid on the work. Then the sensors, which I actually though had a good shot at taking care of the problem. Nope. Ironically, now they want to replace the DPF all over again. Why??? As if the first two were bad? It's just a screen that catches particles and heats up to burn them off. So to me, it's awfully evident to that there's bad output coming from the engine, itself. Enough to trigger/foul sensors in under 500 miles. And I've put 7000 on it, per their own assessment. Warrants a new engine and exhaust, quite honestly. It ain't about financing, I'm upside-down because of the work required to make it whole.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome to my world, sir. Researching lemon law attorneys as we speak. Just really can't believe how miserable RAM allowed this to get. They've had multiple opportunities to make things right, starting when the truck had <500 miles on it. Can't explain the ineptitude of their engineers, either. I totally understand working the problem backwards. But a filter doesn't go bad in under 500 miles, especially one that has a mode to clean itself (regen). But the wanted to fix that first, likely because they get paid on the work. Then the sensors, which I actually though had a good shot at taking care of the problem. Nope. Ironically, now they want to replace the DPF all over again. Why??? As if the first two were bad? It's just a screen that catches particles and heats up to burn them off. So to me, it's awfully evident to that there's bad output coming from the engine, itself. Enough to trigger/foul sensors in under 500 miles. And I've put 7000 on it, per their own assessment. Warrants a new engine and exhaust, quite honestly. It ain't about financing, I'm upside-down because of the work required to make it whole.
It doesn't help you but I am very happy with my 2019 F150 Lariat Ecoboost. It has zero issues, averaging nearly 21 mpg, and has a ton of power, and isn't slow as shit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I certainly miss mine. Had the 3.5 Eco. Took immaculate care of it, too. But got greedy. Had been looking at those RAMs for 6 months and finally got to the point I pulled the trigger. Such regret....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure of what state you are in. NJ here, But I had a similar experience as you, many CELs during my 1 1/2 year of ownership of my 2018 Tradesman, I only put 10K miles on it. I contacted the NJ lemon law and eventually they bought the truck back from me. I have since bought a new F150 XL 2.7 eco boost and couldn't be happier. I felt bad since I have owned Rams since 2003, but no excuse for bringing in a new truck to the dealer constantly. I was actually towing my utility trailer with my wife's Jeep Wrangler most of last summer, it sat in the shop for 45 days.Good luck

·
Registered
375 Posts
I totally get your frustration and anger, and I'm sure I'd feel the same. But there are two things to point out.

First, you only have ONE problem with the truck. That your dealer can't fix it is the actual issue. If your assumption of what the actual problem is was accurate, there would be P2002 threads everywhere, every day. Ain't happening. You bought the single most complicated, sensored-up, camera'd up, electronically controlled RAM vehicle made....and you have one problem, yet you are assailing the entire vehicle, and all of RAM engineering, while thousands of others drive on their merry way. Seems a bit dramatic to me.

Secondly...unless there's a lot you're not saying, sounds like you are eating the shit the dealer is throwing your way. If it were me, I'd walk into the service manager's office, and politely explain the situation, that I understand everyone is frustrated with this situation, but here's MY reality. I bought this truck from you because of your reputation. I bought a truck, because i need a truck, and there is simply no justification for FCA not covering the cost of a rental truck or a dealer loaner while we all sort this thing out. You have my permission to keep the truck as long as necessary to get the repair done right. Also, explain that you're ready to move on Lemon Law action (assuming yours would qualify in your state) If the service manager doesnt help, ask for the GM, if he doesn't agree ask for the owner. Be nice, be calm, but be firm in your expectations. If that doesn't work, THEN start throwing shit. ;)

I know this is easy for me to say cuz I'm not in the situation, but this honestly sounds like a dealer problem. Sorry if I come across as "candid", but I do wish you luck in getting this resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What he said ^^^. Why the hell haven't you gone to a new dealership? If I had that issue, MY dealer would have gotten it solved ASAP. I was without my new EcoD back in the summer for two weeks because the timing cover was leaking oil. Yes it sucked to be without a brand new truck. But not only did my dealership FIX it right and TEST it to make sure, they also called me periodically to update me on the status.

Secondly, the guy who bought your Ford did you a favor. Those didn't get the nickname EcoBust for nothing. The TSB and recall list on that 3.5L engine is so long your printer would run out of ink. That engine is such trash that the first iteration was totally scrapped after only 5 years on the market. The new version "shares no parts with the original" they say. To try to coerce people into buying them again maybe? I don't know. My brother has one that's at 90,000 miles. It's been broken down multiple times. I've had the misfortune of doing a timing job on it....NIGHTMARE. And, let's not forget the lawsuits Ford is continually fighting because those EcoBust engines don't come anywhere close to advertised fuel mileage.

Bottom line is this: You can have problems with ANY brand. Just because you are the unlucky one doesn't mean Ram makes junk. If Ram made junk they wouldn't have passed Chevrolet in sales.

Reactions: Crash68 and MR. TED

·
Registered
2020 Ram Limited Ecodiesel, 2015 Ram Laramie Longhorn Ecodiesel 93,000miles
26 Posts
Ditto. I too am dealing with faulty DPF filter and a host of other major mechanical issues on brand new 2020 Ram 1500 Limited. My truck is at 600 miles and 450 of those miles are from the service technician. Do yourself a favor and research Lemon Law in your state and see if and when your vehicle qualifies. The service techs don't really know what's wrong with the chronic problem vehicles. The manufacturer is ultimately responsible for the problematic vehicles coming out of assembly. Because RAM really encourages sales (which includes service sales) over customer service, no one will fight your cause for you. Keep a paper trail. Get a case # from FCA Customer Cares. I too feel like I've been robbed. It's frustrating. My dealership gave me a 2017 Ram 1500 bare bones Hemi truck to drive. I call it "the parts truck" or "not my truck". No problems with this BASIC, no frills model. None. Nada. :unsure:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have my 2019 F150 3.5 EB which I love but I also have a 2020 GC with the hemi and love that as well, great engines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the p2002 code also 2015 with 73,000 MI. It's been on for a few months. First trip to the dealer they updated the tune already had the V08 update but no updates after that. Light came on maybe 30 to 50 MI after picking up truck. Second dealer visit I just picked the truck up a few hours ago like just came on again this trip they said they pulled the cab and replaced the turbo seal. Service advisor was out to lunch on the pickup truck so I didn't get any paperwork yet. I'll bring it back tomorrow morning. They used Enterprise rental so I got a Dodge journey as they didn't have any trucks but traded vehicles with my buddy to use his truck daily pulling my trailer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts