RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say thanks to the members of the forum for sharing their knowledge. Helped out a lot clearing this code.

driving down the road and received the dreaded “Service DEF See Dealer Engine will not restart in 320km. Drive the rest of the way home and call dealer to see if they have an appointment.Drop it off couple of days later. Dealer calls, good news a flash will take care of it. Says he will call me later When it’s ready, no cost. Calls in the afternoon flash does not take care of it. Since it’s not covered under warranty will take one hour of shop time to look at it, fine I say. They call the next day say I need a new DEF injector and new def supply line, I ask what could cause this they claim road salt and corrosion, cost would be $1400. Not sure what to do started research here. Couple hours later I say button it up I will drive it home as is 180km left till engine does not restart. Get home crawl underneath looks like build up of road salt maybe. Clean it all up pull the def injector steam clean it. Button it back up again road test no dice. Maybe I should have paid dealer? Crawl underneath again investigate further. Find out DEF supply line is melted where it connects to DEF injector. Go to dealer pick up new supply line cost 210$. Replace supply line disconnect battery for 30 min. Restart truck MIL light gone but message still appears. Go for 50KM drive, within about 15KM Sevice DEF message goes away. Truck is fixed. Just wanted to share this info incase someone else stumbles upon this issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Frst , welcome to the site ,
nice to see you found info you needed by searching the site and fixed this ,
NOW ...Have a look at the flange on the exhaust at the union right in front of the injector ,
there is a thread on the site where same thing exactly like your problem happened to another member ,
the flange bolts break , and exhaust leak melts the wiring to the DEF injector .
that broken flange bolts stuff reported more and more in the last year.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Oh Yeah , good catch , 2 bolts gone ..... imagine melting another wiring harness .....:devilish:
this is what this site is all about ....
heat fatigue , crap choice of material , your pick ,
exhaust bolts have a hard life ....
cut all 3 , you'll have better access to drill and put bolts and nuts with better grade .
think I read there is a gasket in there , if gone maybe replace ...
FUNNY HOW YOUR DEALER DIDN'T MENTION THAT ...............................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts