RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I got my truck I remember reading about the 2014s having a horrible time with this code, but I thought they had changed out the type of SCR being used and all the 2015s and on had the new one.
Well, driving home yesterday the MIL came on, got the code reader out and it is P20EE, of course. Cleared the code, if it comes back I'll be making the trip into the dealer.
Truck is just about to hit 47000 km, built mid 2015.
Anyone know what I might be in for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
A GDE engine control module. That will quiet down those darn sensors.

You could have sensor issues with your DEF system. It could also be the injector itself or a myriad of things related to that system. Check to see if they will cover the issue under warranty. it is part of the emission system button sure what Canada has on that issue.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A GDE engine control module. That will quiet down those darn sensors.

You could have sensor issues with your DEF system. It could also be the injector itself or a myriad of things related to that system. Check to see if they will cover the issue under warranty. it is part of the emission system button sure what Canada has on that issue.
Our warranty is pretty much the same as far as I know, just shorter and more expensive lol.
I would love to GDE, but would rather wait until after my warranty is up, its also crazy expensive in my monopoly money.

My SCR was repalced under warranty when I got this code. Maybe yours hadn't been done yet?
Only thing that has ever been done to my truck is oil changes, guess we will find out if it pops up again.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
As Ben talked about in the post above, the early Ecodiesels did have a recall for the DEF system. Most of them were 2014's but they also included the early 2015 models. It is possible yours may be included in that early recall.

Wander by a dealer and have them run your serial number in their system for recalls. Not all of our early models had a problem, Mine did but many were changed before that problem. Check on yours.

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
I don't see any TSB concerning the P20EE for the MY 2015. There is a TSP specifically for the 2014. In either case the SCR should be covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty. The sensors would be covered under the FCA warranty depending on mileage.

Here's a list of the TSB's I'm aware of: http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/9647-technical-service-bulletins-tsb-updates.html

Here's the TSB for MY 2014: View attachment 64602
Dug into my old records earlier when I responded. Did not find anything but the work order. Just seem to remember that issue carried over to the earlier 2015 production models. Actually, in this case, hope I am right and it is covered more than just under the emissions warranty.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I was aware of the 2014s having a recall for it, but I had thought that it was fixed at the factory for MY 2015.
They have done other recalls for my truck during my oil change appointments, so I know they are running it through their system looking for recalls, my dealer is pretty decent so far, but I have also had no problems for them to mess anything up either.

looked thru my error codes files ,
could be the clogged DEF injector nozzle ,
Cobrajr , please let us know what they find .,,,,
cleaned with hot water ...should go from this to that .
could be a sensor
also last week a member said he found a cut wire in the
bunch of wires going to the DEF injector , that threw a different code also .
in here : http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/34529-p2047-code-service-def.html
Until the code comes back im not going in, but if it does I will definitely give you guys an update.
I was thinking about cleaning up the injector earlier today, but I would rather wait out for warmer weather before crawling under the truck haha, so if the code stays away that long I'll be doing that.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My 2015 was not recalled, but they covered it under warranty when I got the code. They didn't even hesitate when they saw the code...which led me to believe they were familiar with the code and what the fix was.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Here's a thought I'm not sure if it will work but when I got my last p203e code I pulled the def tank and flushed it out with hot water.

I also pulled the def injector and scraped it clean. For 33,000 miles since the scr was changed it looked good. I suppose I'll be good for another 30k.

For those with an out of warranty system that gets the code P20ee I wonder if you disconnect the line at the def injector and let it drip to atmosphere and clear the code if it would come back. Are there emission sensors that would pick it up after the scr injection port? If the system pump and injector are still functioning without the def going thru does the system know.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the code came back a couple days ago. Dealer was not able to book me in until today because tire change season (fair enough). Got in the truck to go to the gym this morning and the light was gone, dammit!
Had to call in and see if they were able to do any testing while the code was not active and they said no, whether that's true or not who knows, so appointment cancelled and I'm not getting off work early now :p

Took almost 2 months to come on again, I just want this work done before my vacation starts!

With the price tag on the new trucks being what they are in maple bucks, looks like I'll be holding onto this truck for a while, so GDE is definitely in my future when the warranty is getting close to ending.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So P20EE came back again and I finally got it into a dealer for them to see it before it went away again.

All they did was flash the PCM under TSB 18-018-16, which does not seem to mention P20EE or the SCR, but I may be missing something.

This was all last week, I picked up the truck yesterday morning and on the way home from the gym this morning P20EE came back again of course.

Dealer is getting me back in today so hopefully this time they get themselves pointed in the right direction, I already asked about SCR issues and they just said they have to follow what the computer says so we shall see.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After waiting for parts to come in they replaced the SCR CAT yesterday, YAY!

This morning P20EE came back again.

They ordered a few sensors and have me booked in to get them replaced in a couple weeks.

Looks like my expensive extended warranty is going to pay off!

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
After waiting for parts to come in they replaced the SCR CAT yesterday, YAY!

This morning P20EE came back again.

They ordered a few sensors and have me booked in to get them replaced in a couple weeks.

Looks like my expensive extended warranty is going to pay off!
I hope they get it right SOON.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
We, the early 2014's, had to have the whole DEF system changed out and we did. End of issue. Not sure but expect an injector change with sensors would do it.

Good luck to you and that dealer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure but expect an injector change with sensors would do it.
When they ordered the SCR, they ordered an injector as well but they were back ordered of course. I'm not sure if the tech is still thinking of swapping injector but he for sure is replacing some sensors.
Anything they replace under warranty I'm not going to complain about, the more new parts on the truck the better for me lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, its now been a a couple weeks since they replaced the sensors and no MIL has come back.

Truck is laggy from the AEM and now that GDE tunes will be crappy my post-warranty plan and hope for my truck is gone.

Since im in Canada i am hoping GDE will say they can still give us the good tune, otherwise i think its time for me to start seriously looking at ditching the truck.
This sucks.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Surely you have been reading about GDE and other companies like them. It's just not the Ecodiesel but the "big boys" also seeing shut-downs and closures of their tuning companies.

There are companies marketing in Canada, like Celtic, you could look into.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts