RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the forum members have any opinions to share on the use of stick-on paint protection films that can be applied to the front of the hood and headlight area, and other options like pebble guards?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I got it on the wife's 2011 jetta, still looks really good now 3 years old....worth the money I would say

·
Registered
438 Posts
Does it wrap around the front edge of the hood? I have read that many don't. I think this stuff looks interesting:

3M Paint Defender Spray Film with synthetic wax - Sprayable Paint Protection Film, 90000 - 3M Auto
That stuff is garbage. It is no thicker than Saran Wrap after it dries and cannot see at providing the protection you are looking for. You cannot get the vehicle wet within the first 24 hours or it mars the film. It also remains tacky during this period. While drying the material runs to the lowest point leaving the thinner material at the top and a little bit thicker at the bottom with a maximum of maybe 2 to 3 mils.

Definitely consider something in the aftermarket minimum 6 mils, 8 mils preferably.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I always put it on the front of my vehicles, and will be doing the same to the truck (the film - not the spray). But I would recommend getting a professional to put it on - very difficult. Basically ask yourself - do you want to fix stone chips - or pay for some protection on the hood?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Does it wrap around the front edge of the hood? I have read that many don't. I think this stuff looks interesting:

3M Paint Defender Spray Film with synthetic wax - Sprayable Paint Protection Film, 90000 - 3M Auto
I bought a kit and tried it out. Set up is pretty easy. The plastic covering for the vehicle not getting the product is a must. It went on very easily. FOLLOW the instructions on the 3M web page video on how to apply it. Too much or too little is very easy to do. It looked great until it was about 1/2 way dry. It started to bubble then kept on going. I waited for it to dry then peeled it off. It was an inexpensive item so it was not that big of a deal. I would not recommend it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I put the film on my MINI and Beetle. Only easy if you know the tricks. Last time I purchased the full front kit for the beetle it was $325. I tint my own windows also pretty simple to do. Just takes patience. It's worth the $ to have it done if you are not sure.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wife put it on her lexus.... too early to tell if it works or not... but was pretty damn expensive... entire frontend including 4" up from front hood crack was $500

1 - 11 of 11 Posts