RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums to see if anyone else might of started a similar thread so I apologize if there is one but got impatient with searching over 24 pages...
2 days ago I went to release my parking brake and the handle was disconnected from the rod/actuator. Luckily, pulling on the rod released the pedal and brake. For now I will use the rod, but I am wondering if anyone else here has had this misfortune?
On initial inspection, it appears that a small plastic connector may have broken but I really need to take a closer look once I'm back home this weekend.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine did the same. Weak plastic part. Took to the dealer and tech fixed it in the service bay in 5 minutes. Mine was under warranty. We if yours isn’t I would simply buy the part and install yourself
It looks pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine did the same. Weak plastic part. Took to the dealer and tech fixed it in the service bay in 5 minutes. Mine was under warranty. We if yours isn’t I would simply buy the part and install yourself
It looks pretty easy to do.
Kind of my first thoughts even (as I stated) though I have not totally inspected it yet. My biggest issue is that I engage the parking brake automatically every time I park -just habit. I have now had the rod that I have to pull to release the brake hide itself a couple of times. So, then I will get out of the truck and have to retrieve it to pull on it to release the brake... PITA!

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Till you get it replaced, quit fussing with that parking brake unless you are on a steep incline.

Never really used mine under normal park conditions when things are flat. Of course here in Florida, unless you are on the beach looking, most things are flat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had the same issue... I bought a replacement online and had it installed within a few minutes. While waiting for the part, I locked a tiny vise-grip on it to make it easier to grab.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I always use my parking parked and consider it a good habit.
I had the same issue with my lever breaking on my ‘06 2500.
I noted the crappy plastic connection and didn’t want it to happen again, so I just made a replacement connector. I used a small metal L bracket, drilled a hole through the plastic brake pull and used a small nut and bolt to secure the bracket. Worked like a charm for the next six years I owned the truck.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
I had the same issue... I bought a replacement online and had it installed within a few minutes. While waiting for the part, I locked a tiny vise-grip on it to make it easier to grab.
same solution 30 years ago , vise grips on cable for 5 years ........El Cheapo fix ...?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
That's a very hard habit to break. Took me a while.
Need a pic of the stock setup to figure out what's missing and/or broken?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Formed my habits with decades of manual transmissions. Always put it in either first or reverse depending on if it was facing up or down. Many of the vehicles had miserable parking brakes anyhow. There were times I would drive off, leave them on and not quickly figure that out.

Today, unless stopped on a hill, I never push on that parking brake to tighten the cable.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Formed my habits with decades of manual transmissions. Always put it in either first or reverse depending on if it was facing up or down. Many of the vehicles had miserable parking brakes anyhow. There were times I would drive off, leave them on and not quickly figure that out.

Today, unless stopped on a hill, I never push on that parking brake to tighten the cable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts