RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was told today at the dealer that we are supposed to have this filter cleaned ? I never herd of this one before . Anybody here of this ? They where telling a fellow Eco owner that since it's a filter warranty wont cover it ." crazy " I said how are we supposed to clean it ? it should clean itself if system is running rite " dealer clean's it with a special chemical ? again never herd of this , anyone
Thank's
mike

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ask him to point it out to you in the service manual. He can't.
But, to be fair, there are places that "clean" dpfs by heating, cleaning and blowing out. Typically, this is for highway tractors.
$300 service vs thousands.

Also, there are cleaners you can inject directly into the DPF (like carb cleaner) to remove carbon and such, but, I don't know if one should use this type of product with our SCRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Eventually, the DPF will have to be cleaned or replaced. There are DPF cleaning services out there. That is the cost of trying to clean the air to breathe. I think this dealer may be trying to get money in a service that may not be needed as often as they say is needed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the guy had around 45 k miles and they wanted $ 3 k to fix :(

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
This is from an email that I recently received from the EPA, where I requested clarification on emission systems warranty.

The diesel SCR catalytic converter, Diesel oxidation converter, and the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) are considered catalytic converters covered under the 8
year/80,000 mile warranty

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
This is from an email that I recently received from the EPA, where I requested clarification on emission systems warranty.
But, is cleaning them considered maintenance?

To me, just another reason to get the GDE tune.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I think once warranty is over the best thing is to go full delete , It seem's like all the diesel truck's are having problems with the exhaust systems from our truck's to the cummins and fuso and isuzu truck also from what I have herd

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I think once warranty is over the best thing is to go full delete , It seem's like all the diesel truck's are having problems with the exhaust systems from our truck's to the cummins and fuso and isuzu truck also from what I have herd
To me, a delete would be where it is cost prohibitive to keep it on. I would like to be somewhat responsible to the environment for the kids and future grandkids. I don't want to be the "let them figure it out" type of person.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts

I believe that they can repair or replace, at their discretion, but in any case you don't pay for it up to 8/80. I will sell or trade before that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts