RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Long story short, I went through some deep mud and my truck has been having issues since.

I had a service transmission message pop up in the dash that ended up being a lever in the transmission that was surrounded with mud. The technician cleaned the mud away and it was all good.

The check engine light came on again, this time being the Particulate Matter Sensor/Circuit. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the exact location of this since I do not feel like getting another expensive car wash. I did wash underneath my truck as the dealership only washed the one specific area, but I'm not sure if that sensor can be invaded with mud or not.

Any information about the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Goloid

· Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
15,070 Posts
Bet you are not getting answers because we don't know what "particulate matter" is.

If it's dirt in the fuel or water, that sensor is inside the fuel filter.

It it's a plugged DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), those sensors are in the exhaust both before and after the DPF in the exhaust after the turbo.

· Registered
3,236 Posts
Hello all,

Long story short, I went through some deep mud and my truck has been having issues since.

I had a service transmission message pop up in the dash that ended up being a lever in the transmission that was surrounded with mud. The technician cleaned the mud away and it was all good.

The check engine light came on again, this time being the Particulate Matter Sensor/Circuit. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the exact location of this since I do not feel like getting another expensive car wash. I did wash underneath my truck as the dealership only washed the one specific area, but I'm not sure if that sensor can be invaded with mud or not.

Any information about the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Goloid

My bet is you either disconnected the plug or damaged a wire.

Crawl under the truck and follow the exhaust pipe from the turbo down and check each connection.

· Registered
4 Posts
It’s one of the last sensors on the exhaust that sticks out towards the passenger side maybe... could be the one sticking out the top. The module is mounted to the top side of the frame that stretches the width of the truck. ( EDIT ITS DEFINITELY THE FURTHEST BACK SENSOR STICKING OUT THE TOO OF THE EXHAUST)Just Follow line from where the sensor is inserted and you will feel it. I think my check in engine light came on for this sensor bc I let the truck idle too long too many times. In the manual it says do not let idle for extended periods of time. Previous diesel owners need to check out of that habit real quick with these.

Attachments

· Registered
6,582 Posts
Likely erroneous codes due to moisture in the large harness connector along the DS frame rail. Disconnect, dry, pack with dialectic grease, reassemble.

· Registered
4 Posts
Gonna try that.... my ram guy from the dealership old me to run it down the highway at 68 or 69 mph whichever one is at 1800 rpm for four minute. This should clear out build up. Trying that tomorrow. I took my def injector off today and there was a ton of build up around the entry.

· Registered
4 Posts
Also... has any one done any upgrades to increase horsepower, towing strength, gas mileage, sound, or anything? I have 4 inch lift and tires but i want to do more diy upgrades since I can now drive a company truck to work. I’ll ask in another forum but this is where I started.

· Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,945 Posts
If your looking to "clear build up" out of the exhaust system, take it out for nice long cruise at 70,
As far as HP upgrades, GDE is the popular tune on this forum for these trucks

· Registered
3,858 Posts
There is a large electrical connecton on the outward side of your frame rail under the drivers seat. It tends to get moisture in it and cause random messages on the dash. Definitely open it up and clean it, then put a little dielectric grease in there and ziptie it shut to prevent future issues like this. The transmission only has one mechanical cable and it is for putting the transmission in park should you need to move the truck without being able to start the engine.

· Registered
1 Posts
It’s one of the last sensors on the exhaust that sticks out towards the passenger side maybe... could be the one sticking out the top. The module is mounted to the top side of the frame that stretches the width of the truck. ( EDIT ITS DEFINITELY THE FURTHEST BACK SENSOR STICKING OUT THE TOO OF THE EXHAUST)Just Follow line from where the sensor is inserted and you will feel it. I think my check in engine light came on for this sensor bc I let the truck idle too long too many times. In the manual it says do not let idle for extended periods of time. Previous diesel owners need to check out of that habit real quick with these.
My truck had been in and out of the dealership the past six months for emissions problems and IDK why, but that sensor was unscrewed and totally loose. After removal I noticed that the pin holes at the top of the sensor were loaded with scale buildup so I cleaned them. After three weeks, the permanent and trouble codes (P24AE & P24AF) went away and the Particulate Matter Sensor started to show me life. Fickle systems.

Thanks for clearing up which one is the PM sensor. There's nothing out there that tells you which of the 5 sensors are what.

· Registered
17 Posts
There is a large electrical connecton on the outward side of your frame rail under the drivers seat. It tends to get moisture in it and cause random messages on the dash. Definitely open it up and clean it, then put a little dielectric grease in there and ziptie it shut to prevent future issues like this. The transmission only has one mechanical cable and it is for putting the transmission in park should you need to move the truck without being able to start the engine.
I am trying to open these large electrical connectors and can’t seem to figure out how they open.. I am breaking clips left and right and can’t get it open. They have a grey crossbar or something on them that looks like it should rotate.

· Registered
4,789 Posts

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.